Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 14:17
deleted....

Last edited by Ethan on 06 Jun 2006, 21:11, edited 3 times in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 15:37
Expert's post
Ethan wrote:
Hi Paul/Linda,

Can you please evaluate my profile and if possible give me some school suggestions (based on realistic chances of me getting accepted).

Country of Citizenship : India

GMAT: 710 ( 94% ) - Q51(99%) , V34(72%).AWA not available yet.

Work Experience:
- 4+ years ( not including part time ) in the software industry.
- Last 3 years at a top software company working on a $2B project with demonstrated leadership role.

Education:
- B.E in Mech. Engg. from a BITS - Pilani, India (2nd ranked college in India and I am the topper of class of 97 in my discipline).
- M.S in Computer Science (GPA 3.5-3.6 ) from a well known US university. Research assistant with full scholarship.

Extra-Curricular Activities:
- Was part of the Organization committee of annual Cultural festival during my Undergraduation. Involved in interacting with various schools/colleges across. Also, I was involved in talking to the reps of Indian rock bands to come play at my college during the festival.
- As president of the Department of Sponsorhips at my school, I was successful in talking the Marketing officials through at Pepsi Co, Xm (Perfume band in India) to sponsor our annual festival. I was able to garner sponsor to the amount Rs12,00,000, when our predicted expenditure was about Rs10,00,000. This has never happened in our school's history till then and our team was the first one to help organise a debt free cultural event, thereby helping fellow students paying from their pocket for the amount that fell short.
- Also served as President of Sponsorhips Dept for festivals like BOSM (BITS open Sport Meet) and APOGEE (A Professions Oriented Gathering over Educational Experience), is the inter-collegiate technical fest.
- Involved in the organization of Interface (Management students and professionals from all corners of the country meet for a 3 day showdown, to exchange ideas and to update themselves on the latest developments in the world of management)
-Memeber of schools soccer team and our team stood second in All India inter-college championship.
-Member of editorial board of CACTUS Flower, the annual magazine of the school. Views conveyed in CF are mainly those of the student community and it bears testimony to their dreams, aspirations and also their failings and weaknesses.
- I dont have a strong community experience as I hardly involved myself physically though I helped people in need through sending money. However, I would work on strengthening my community experience.

MBA goal:
Interested in management consulting for various sectors including but not limited to technology. I have a couple of thoughts but not concrete at this point. I have been talking to some of the officials at higher positions at my company to get a good feel of what I am looking for.

Factors important to me:
- Looking to join a part-time program. (Full time is a possibility !!!!)
- School ranking and reputation.
- Well "networked" schools with good placement cells.
- I would like to start B-school next fall ( '07).
- Looking to apply in R1 for all the schools that I finalize.

Ethan,

You have a strong profile. Given your consulting and part-time MBA focus, I would recommend that you consider Chicago, Haas, and perhaps Kellogg, UCLA and USC. For the full-time programs, I think you could look at MIT, CMU, Michigan, and UNC.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2006, 15:38
Expert's post
Accepted.com wrote:
Ethan wrote:
Hi Paul/Linda,

Can you please evaluate my profile and if possible give me some school suggestions (based on realistic chances of me getting accepted).

Country of Citizenship : India

GMAT: 710 ( 94% ) - Q51(99%) , V34(72%).AWA not available yet.

Work Experience:
- 4+ years ( not including part time ) in the software industry.
- Last 3 years at a top software company working on a $2B project with demonstrated leadership role.

Education:
- B.E in Mech. Engg. from a BITS - Pilani, India (2nd ranked college in India and I am the topper of class of 97 in my discipline).
- M.S in Computer Science (GPA 3.5-3.6 ) from a well known US university. Research assistant with full scholarship.

Extra-Curricular Activities:
- Was part of the Organization committee of annual Cultural festival during my Undergraduation. Involved in interacting with various schools/colleges across. Also, I was involved in talking to the reps of Indian rock bands to come play at my college during the festival.
- As president of the Department of Sponsorhips at my school, I was successful in talking the Marketing officials through at Pepsi Co, Xm (Perfume band in India) to sponsor our annual festival. I was able to garner sponsor to the amount Rs12,00,000, when our predicted expenditure was about Rs10,00,000. This has never happened in our school's history till then and our team was the first one to help organise a debt free cultural event, thereby helping fellow students paying from their pocket for the amount that fell short.
- Also served as President of Sponsorhips Dept for festivals like BOSM (BITS open Sport Meet) and APOGEE (A Professions Oriented Gathering over Educational Experience), is the inter-collegiate technical fest.
- Involved in the organization of Interface (Management students and professionals from all corners of the country meet for a 3 day showdown, to exchange ideas and to update themselves on the latest developments in the world of management)
-Memeber of schools soccer team and our team stood second in All India inter-college championship.
-Member of editorial board of CACTUS Flower, the annual magazine of the school. Views conveyed in CF are mainly those of the student community and it bears testimony to their dreams, aspirations and also their failings and weaknesses.
- I dont have a strong community experience as I hardly involved myself physically though I helped people in need through sending money. However, I would work on strengthening my community experience.

MBA goal:
Interested in management consulting for various sectors including but not limited to technology. I have a couple of thoughts but not concrete at this point. I have been talking to some of the officials at higher positions at my company to get a good feel of what I am looking for.

Factors important to me:
- Looking to join a part-time program. (Full time is a possibility !!!!)
- School ranking and reputation.
- Well "networked" schools with good placement cells.
- I would like to start B-school next fall ( '07).
- Looking to apply in R1 for all the schools that I finalize.

Ethan,

You have a strong profile. Given your consulting and part-time MBA focus, I would recommend that you consider Chicago, Haas, and perhaps Kellogg, UCLA and USC. For the full-time programs, I think you could look at MIT, CMU, Michigan, and UNC.

Good luck!

Ethan,

While I'm at it, I think you could also take a look at Tuck and Duke.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2006, 06:39
Hi Paul

Thank you for your valuable inputs. In the next coming months while I am getting ready to apply for B-school, is there anything I can do to add more value to my application. I am thinking of doing some community service, as I always was involved in some aspects of it, more actively. If so, is there any specific role I should consider while voulnteering.

Also regarding my achievements, do I need to start gathering proofs in case the AdCom asks me to provide them with details. Is this a necessity? The reason why I want to know is because I kinda lost touch with my under-grad college and I am not quite sure how long it will take for me to procure those documents from my school.

Any other advice that boosts up my profile is very appreciated. Thanks again.

Regards
Ethan
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 14:09
Expert's post
Ethan wrote:
Hi Paul

Thank you for your valuable inputs. In the next coming months while I am getting ready to apply for B-school, is there anything I can do to add more value to my application. I am thinking of doing some community service, as I always was involved in some aspects of it, more actively. If so, is there any specific role I should consider while voulnteering.

Also regarding my achievements, do I need to start gathering proofs in case the AdCom asks me to provide them with details. Is this a necessity? The reason why I want to know is because I kinda lost touch with my under-grad college and I am not quite sure how long it will take for me to procure those documents from my school.

Any other advice that boosts up my profile is very appreciated. Thanks again.

Regards
Ethan

Ethan,

In the coming months you should contact past schools to arrange transcripts and also begin contacting prospective recommenders, filling them in on the themes and achievements you'll be focusing on in your application. You do not need to document your accomplishments for the adcoms; as long as you're being honest about them in your application you have nothing to fear. Schools do do background checks, but that's usually just to confirm that you did work at Company X and graduate from University Z.

As for community work, I would strongly recommend that you look for a leadership role. It doesn't matter what the community activity is so long as it reflects your interests or talents. But you can really separate yourself from the pack if you have a role in which you coordinate others' activities or make organizationwide decisions, such as sitting on an organization's board of directors, etc. Most applicants have "only" volunteered; they haven't had leadership roles in their volunteer work.

Finally, I would spend the next months building networks at the schools you'll be targeting. Visit them, establish contact with students and alums, and be ready to talk about these interactions in your application.

See also Accepted.com's 2003 chaton maximizing the months before the MBA admissions season starts.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553