Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:02
Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on current list of schools and possible ways to improve my chances.

Profile -

• Age: 25 years old, will be 26 by matriculation (applying in the fall of 2012)
• Ethnicity: Chinese - Born in the U.S
• Work Experience: Will have approximately 46 months of work experience by matriculation
• Field/Industry: Non-profit/Community and economic development
• Role: Finance - Underwriting small business loans (analyzing financials, projections, credit, etc.)
• Other - Certified Economic Development Finance Professional (National Development Council)
• GPA/School: 3.33 at a University of California school (Top 40)
• GMAT: 660, Q46 V35 (Retaking in May)
• Extras: President of a sports club (undergrad), director of a large regional tournament for said sport (undergrad), certified tax prep for low income households through local non profit (post undergrad)
• Post MBA Goals - Start up a Community Development Finance Institution in an under-served market.

Short-list of schools -

• USC
• Emory
• Indiana University
• University of Washington
• UC San Diego

Based on my own assessment the list above ranges from stretch to competitive, but I would appreciate feedback or suggestions for other schools.

I also feel that my GMAT is holding me back, am I wrong about this? Technically a 660 is "in range," but what does "in range" really mean when it boils down to a good enough GMAT?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

William
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:42
You vs. the numbers
USC
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... s/usc.html
the 10-50-90th percentile for incoming: 630-690-740
US News had the avg GPA at 3.3
I'd say USC is a bit of a reach (not a huge reach, but still a reach) because your GMAT is likely around the 25th percentile, and possibly lower than that.

Emory
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... emory.html
At Emory, your GMAT is between the 25th and the median of apps in the last incoming pool (2011), and the incoming class.
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for apps: 550-620-680-710-730
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for incoming: 610-640-690-710-730
US News has the AVERAGE GPA at 3.3, and you're average there. You have a shot here if everything else played your way, but also a good shot that you won't as well.

IU
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... diana.html
At Indiana, your GMAT is above the median of apps in the last incoming pool (2011), but below the median of the incoming class.
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for apps: 480-580-640-690-710
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for incoming: 620-650-680-710-730
US News has the AVERAGE GPA at 3.32, and you're average. I'd say you have a good shot to get in as is, but again, just as good of a shot at not getting in either.

University of Washington
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ngton.html
At Indiana, your GMAT is above the median of apps in the last incoming pool (2011), but below the median of the incoming class.
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for apps: 550-620-640-680-710
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for incoming: 590-630-680-710-730
US News has the AVERAGE GPA at 3.4, and you're a little below average. You may be a bit shaky here with your current numbers.

UCSD
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... diego.html
At UCSD, your GMAT is below the median of apps in the last incoming pool (2011), but above the median of the incoming class.
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for apps: 600-650-690-720-740 (some rounding)
the 10-25-50-75-90th percentile for incoming: 510-590-650-690-710
US News didn't show a GPA, You have a shot here because it looks like the school attracts great applicants, but most of those applicants turn down those offers when admitted.

I say that you with 30 or even 20 points on the GMAT, you could bump you up to 25% within the applicant pool. You do have the community service experience, etc. which is attractive for full time applicants. But as it is, you are a slight reach for most of the programs you listed because your GPA is right at average, but the GMAT is between the 25th and 50th percentiles and that's where that 20-30 point increase can really help you.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 16:22
If you can bump up your GMAT to 700+ you could have a good shot at Yale with a well written application...if you not anti east coast. Could be a good fit with your non-profit goals.
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 12:21
ZuluMong wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on current list of schools and possible ways to improve my chances.

Profile -

• Age: 25 years old, will be 26 by matriculation (applying in the fall of 2012)
• Ethnicity: Chinese - Born in the U.S
• Work Experience: Will have approximately 46 months of work experience by matriculation
• Field/Industry: Non-profit/Community and economic development
• Role: Finance - Underwriting small business loans (analyzing financials, projections, credit, etc.)
• Other - Certified Economic Development Finance Professional (National Development Council)
• GPA/School: 3.33 at a University of California school (Top 40)
• GMAT: 660, Q46 V35 (Retaking in May)
• Extras: President of a sports club (undergrad), director of a large regional tournament for said sport (undergrad), certified tax prep for low income households through local non profit (post undergrad)
• Post MBA Goals - Start up a Community Development Finance Institution in an under-served market.

Short-list of schools -

• USC
• Emory
• Indiana University
• University of Washington
• UC San Diego

Based on my own assessment the list above ranges from stretch to competitive, but I would appreciate feedback or suggestions for other schools.

I also feel that my GMAT is holding me back, am I wrong about this? Technically a 660 is "in range," but what does "in range" really mean when it boils down to a good enough GMAT?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

William

Hello,

I would suggest you to re-take for the schools mentioned by you given the time available with you, because you would wish to put the BEST effort for your application.

It is good to be IN RANGE, but believe me it is always better to be on higher side of the median/mean GMAT, your rest of the profile sounds good, and i am sure with a few points more you would have great chance to make to any of the mentioned schools.

looking at your profile, i would also suggest you to not only get engaged with associations etc but also exhibit some concrete leadership with initiatives, these experiences will help you prove your leadership qualities.

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 13:29
Thanks for the responses everybody. Yes I definitely plan on trying for a better GMAT, practice scores have been in the 690 - 710 range but I can't seem to knock out the verbal section on the real test as I do on the practices. With my current numbers I also thought I would be a coin-toss based on business week data. Yale at this point is a super stretch, if I score even a 680 next time I'll consider applying .

Quick (perhaps silly) question...are US born Chinese males considered an over represented group in applicants?

Any other feedback and school recommendations is appreciated.

-William
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 16:50
ZuluMong wrote:
Thanks for the responses everybody. Yes I definitely plan on trying for a better GMAT, practice scores have been in the 690 - 710 range but I can't seem to knock out the verbal section on the real test as I do on the practices. With my current numbers I also thought I would be a coin-toss based on business week data. Yale at this point is a super stretch, if I score even a 680 next time I'll consider applying .

Quick (perhaps silly) question...are US born Chinese males considered an over represented group in applicants?

Any other feedback and school recommendations is appreciated.

-William

I don't think Chinese Americans will be viewed with the same lens as Chinese people. But that being said, Asian Americans and White Americans as a whole are probably a quarter a dozen if Indian and Chinese applicants are a dime a dozen.
Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2012, 16:50