Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 08:22
Hello mbaMission,

I'm looking for some feedback on current list of schools, possible ways to improve my chances, and any advice you may have on how to "market" myself on my apps.

Profile -

• Age: 25 years old, will be 26 by matriculation (applying in the fall of 2012)
• Ethnicity: Chinese - Born in the U.S
• Work Experience: Will have approximately 46 months of work experience by matriculation
• Field/Industry: Non-profit/Community and economic development
• Role: Finance - Underwriting small business loans (analyzing financials, projections, credit, etc.), but just accepted a mid-management role overseeing my department - overseeing two people.
• Other - Certified Economic Development Finance Professional (National Development Council)
• GPA/School: 3.33 at a University of California school (Top 40)
• GMAT: 660, Q46 V35 (Retaking on Saturday 5/26)
• Extras: President of a sports club (undergrad), director of a large regional tournament for said sport (undergrad), certified tax prep for low income households through local non profit (post undergrad)
• Post MBA Goals - Start up a Community Development Finance Institution in an under-served market, more specifically to take this industry out of the non-profit/government realm and into a profitable, social enterprise.

Short-list of schools -

• Carnegie Mellon
• USC
• Emory
• Georgetown
• Indiana University
• University of Washington
• UC San Diego

Based on my own assessment the list above ranges from stretch to competitive, but if I do well on my next GMAT attempt I may consider adding schools to the top (i.e. Yale, UC Berkeley). In the worst case scenario (no improvement in my GMAT), what do you think my chances are at the schools mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

William
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request | 660 GMAT, Non-profit Background [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 08:52
Expert's post
Hello William, thanks for your question.

Generally, I think you have a pretty good handle with your self-assessment!

In terms of GMAT, you should be fine at programs that have a mean or median GMAT score close to yours. And, if your GMAT score falls within the middle 80% range at a school, you have a shot.

Your GPA is borderline, but not insurmountable.

I think you have a unique background – combined professional and extracurricular (though what you’ve done since school will weigh more heavily than the earlier activities) – that resonates with your future goals. This could be a compelling story arc to present to the admission committees. You could really differentiate yourself with your essays by writing about your leadership experience in these roles.

If you can raise your GMAT, I think you might expand your selection on the upper end. I typically urge candidates to shoot for 700 overall and 80% on the quant and verbal tests.

I’m happy to re-evaluate after your GMAT retake tomorrow…

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php