Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request (700 GMAT)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Profile Evaluation Request (700 GMAT) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 00:03
Hello all, if you could kindly review my profile for Business Schools, that would be much appreciated:

27 year old Male (American Caucasian)
GMAT Score 700 (45Q,40V)
GPA: 3.4 From Public Ivy, major in Poli Sci. Internships in private banking. Graduated in December 2007
Work Experience :4+ years (all international)
Fluent in English, Conversational in Chinese

Job Experience:

1st job: Financial Analyst in London, UK for a top Japanese Bank. Worked in Project Finance with the Public Private Partnership team.
Ranked as the top PPP bank according to league tables for that year. Let go during the financial crisis. Worked for one year.

2nd Job: Moved to Shanghai, China to join a digital media startup backed by a top Chinese VC firm (Series A). Worked in business development, promoted to manager and joined the fundraising team as the only non-C level member. Helped develop a Chinese Business Social Network. Left the startup as it scaled down. Worked for one and a half years

3rd Job: Joined another Chinese Digital Media startup (online video channels) and built out the Shanghai office for the company (company is based in Beijing). Landed the first clients for the office, hired two staff and developed operational procedures. The company co-founder, who is also a managing director for the corporate VC fund of a major telecoms company (Asia Based), hires me away as his first China analyst hire for the VC fund. Work exp. is 6 months

Current job: China analyst for a major telecoms corporate VC fund, office is in Shanghai.

Extracurricular: In spare time, I co-founded a non-profit in late 2010 focused on developing the entrepreneurial ecosystem in China through a series of free bi-lingual startup-focused events. It has expanded out to 25 volunteers and is financially sponsored & strategically partnered by / with major corporates (Microsoft, Silicon Valley Bank, Corporate VC) for events. As it is all volunteer, no salary is taken from this.

Reasons for MBA: Learn Participatory Leadership, most leadership is China is Directive-based. Develop holistic comprehension of how a company operates.

Post-MBA Goals: Start a digital media company in the US (I do not foresee living in China post-MBA). Eventually build out an early stage VC firm.

B-Schools:

Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT Sloan, NYU Stern, UCLA Anderson,

Any feedback would be appreciated in terms of schools i may be missing (safety?), or in terms of competitiveness. Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request (700 GMAT) [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:11
Buzzworthy,
Interesting career story. Your GPA and GMAT are a little under the average but are solid enough to put you in the running at all the schools you mentioned. You will have to be careful to explain your career transitions (or have your recommenders help explain them) so the schools see the plan. Your strengths are your China experience, leadership evidence, and current nonprofit work (which burnishes your leadership profile). You are more or less competitive at Harvard and Stanford (I would need to see a resume to gauge how competitive) and definitely competitive at Berkeley, MIT Sloan, and NYU Stern. UCLA Anderson would probably qualify as a safety for you. You might also consider schools like Booth, Kellogg, and Columbia. Shoot me your resume and I'll give you more focused feedback.

--Paul S. Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (700 GMAT) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 06:30
buzzworthy wrote:
Hello all, if you could kindly review my profile for Business Schools, that would be much appreciated:

27 year old Male (American Caucasian)
GMAT Score 700 (45Q,40V)
GPA: 3.4 From Public Ivy, major in Poli Sci. Internships in private banking. Graduated in December 2007
Work Experience :4+ years (all international)
Fluent in English, Conversational in Chinese

Job Experience:

1st job: Financial Analyst in London, UK for a top Japanese Bank. Worked in Project Finance with the Public Private Partnership team.
Ranked as the top PPP bank according to league tables for that year. Let go during the financial crisis. Worked for one year.

2nd Job: Moved to Shanghai, China to join a digital media startup backed by a top Chinese VC firm (Series A). Worked in business development, promoted to manager and joined the fundraising team as the only non-C level member. Helped develop a Chinese Business Social Network. Left the startup as it scaled down. Worked for one and a half years

3rd Job: Joined another Chinese Digital Media startup (online video channels) and built out the Shanghai office for the company (company is based in Beijing). Landed the first clients for the office, hired two staff and developed operational procedures. The company co-founder, who is also a managing director for the corporate VC fund of a major telecoms company (Asia Based), hires me away as his first China analyst hire for the VC fund. Work exp. is 6 months

Current job: China analyst for a major telecoms corporate VC fund, office is in Shanghai.

Extracurricular: In spare time, I co-founded a non-profit in late 2010 focused on developing the entrepreneurial ecosystem in China through a series of free bi-lingual startup-focused events. It has expanded out to 25 volunteers and is financially sponsored & strategically partnered by / with major corporates (Microsoft, Silicon Valley Bank, Corporate VC) for events. As it is all volunteer, no salary is taken from this.

Reasons for MBA: Learn Participatory Leadership, most leadership is China is Directive-based. Develop holistic comprehension of how a company operates.

Post-MBA Goals: Start a digital media company in the US (I do not foresee living in China post-MBA). Eventually build out an early stage VC firm.

B-Schools:

Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT Sloan, NYU Stern, UCLA Anderson,

Any feedback would be appreciated in terms of schools i may be missing (safety?), or in terms of competitiveness. Thank you!

Hi Buzzwothy,

It seems that you have pretty decent/good profile. Just for your information GMAT, GPA, Work Exp, Extra-curricular & Acads are just a part for any b-schools. Let's say it's not more than 35% of the entire application.

The most important aspects in any application are essays & interviews. They cover around 65% on the entire application. Most importantly, you should target some realistic b-schools with good acceptance rate & placement data.

For a profile like you, I would suggest schools like: Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, Duke, Ross, Darden & McCombs.

Cheers!!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (700 GMAT)   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 06:30