Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 19:32
Hello - thanks in advance for any insight!

Age - 27 (2006 college grad)
Gender - Male
Nationality - American

Education - Ivy league school, econ/soc major
GPA - 3.1 or 3.2
GMAT - 700 (46 Q, 40 V, 6.0 AWA)

I got 4 C's in college, all in quant classes, and took quite a few 'gut' classes.
To build a decent alternative transcript, I took 3 courses in the last year (econ/stats/accounting, the classes I got C's at during undergrad), and got 2 A's and an A-. I played a sport in college and that was where my focus was, not on school unfortunately.

Work experience -
- Currently the director of a decent sized non profit organization (7 full time staff and 25 or so part time), since 2009. Have grown revenue ($1M plus this year) and profits substantially since coming on board. Led the acquisition of another organization this past year. My duties include overseeing staff, day to day activities, budget, sponsorship, long term vision, etc.
- Currently also the owner and director of a business that i founded in 2006 after graduating school. $200K plus revenue annually, profits have grown every year, etc.
- Founded a second company in 2007; as director, grew it to $800K revenue in first year and then sold my 49% stake in 2008

Recs/stories -
I will have good recs from a board member at my non profit and from a client. I am a little worried because I don't have a 'boss' that can write one for me and I do not want my organization to know I am considering going back to school - so I am hesitant about the board member rec but not sure what else I would do.

I think my leadership is demonstrated and I have some very good stories, so I hope my essays will be good...

Other extracurricular-
- Played professional soccer for a brief period after college
- Was a league all star, leading scorer, in college
- On the executive board of 2 non-profit organizations
- No volunteer/community service type stuff on my resume

Plans for after school-
Leading towards management consulting with the goal of eventually doing something entrepreneurial on a bigger scale than I have already. Before I can do something on a bigger scale, I need to learn more, see how a large company works from the inside, work for someone else, etc. And I think this path could be the best route to get me to that end goal.

I will be applying this fall for entry in fall of 2013. I am thinking 3 r1 and 3 r2 applications... thoughts on that and the below schools? Should I include safety schools and are these out of my reach? I am interested in:
HBS
Stanford
MIT
Wharton
Columbia
Kellogg
Haas

Thanks again!
-MN
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - 700 GMAT, 3.1 GPA [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 16:39
Expert's post
What is up dude, and so sorry for the delay in responding. I didnt even see this note from ya--so even though you probably know all the answers already...I will weigh in just the same.

: )

I too went to an Ivy for college and majored in econ and soc by the way (I went to Brown.)

And honestly man, I like your plan. Seems very logical--but given your list of schools (all EXTREMELY elite) you will have a problem dude. That is, your grades/GMAT. Your grades are low enough that schools will worry--then, they will look at your GMAT and...worry more. The only (and best) way to overcome lackluster grades is through the GMAT dude--any way you can retake the test? Boost the score a bit?

Now, I appreciate that you took the extra classes. And that will help.

But I would at the very least (assuming you dont retake the GMAT) add a couple safer schools to your list. Still great programs--but perhaps Ross, Darden--schools of that caliber. That way bro you are GUARANTEED to get in somewhere. As it reads now, especially for Round 2, you are borderline dude...

Hope this helps, and let me know what more we can do to help.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!