Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request: 740 GMAT CFA Asian Australian

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request: 740 GMAT CFA Asian Australian [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 03:11
Dear Linda,

I'd really appreciate your expertise in evaluating my profile. I have decent stats but I'm concerned about my insufficient leadership experience. Also, my current employer and my university are unknown in the US. (As a matter of fact, I couldn't even select my university in the MBA educational profile as it wasn't in the list!)

26 y.o. male Asian Australian (actually, dual citizen Australian and Filipino but Chinese ethnicity. Should I emphasise one over the other?)

GMAT: 740 48Q 42V

Education:
Graduated 2007 Finance & Accounting double major at Australian National University (#2 in Australia). 3.5 GPA (not sure about the conversion. I got a 75% Australian average. 80% is an equivalent A+)

Passed 3 CFA exams. Charter should be granted before applications.

Professional Experience:
I've been working in a boutique portfolio management firm for the past 5 years. 3 years as a buy side research analyst and 2 years as assistant portfolio manager. Role involves equity research, investment pitches to portfolio manager, portfolio maintenance and monitoring, client meetings, and portfolio evaluation and attribution. Also revamped portfolio management software.

Previously worked over a year part-time during uni in one of Australia’s leading financial advisory firms as a stockbroking analyst. Job involved drafting statements of advice, creating stock-offering allocation spreadsheets, marketing stock recommendations to clients. Also oversaw some interns.

Extracuriculars
Part of college football and basketball teams.
Volunteered for Oplan Hatid – drove displaced Filipino victims of typhoon Haiyan home.
Served as facilitator for church events.

Goal: Buy side analyst for major hedge fund.

Target Schools:
Round 1 2014-2015 Wharton, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, LBS

I’m concerned that the adcom will see through my lack of leadership roles and extracurriculars. I know Harvard is real stretch but are my hopes for Wharton also too ambitious? Which schools (perhaps outside my list) would I have a realistic chance of being admitted?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: 740 GMAT CFA Asian Australian [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 11:59
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First, when you say you lack leadership, do you mean official leadership roles? Often when I work with people who initially feel they lack leadership experience, they are thinking of specific titles and designated roles. When we deeply examine their experience, we usually can find leadership, even if “unofficial” – i.e., times they exercised leadership on their own – perhaps they provided thought leadership, or resolved a brewing conflict, or found the key that enables consensus, or convinced a senior person or a client to innovate or take an outside-the-box step, etc. So, I suggest re-evaluating your experience with an expanded view of leadership.

Also, keep in mind, for work, it is important for top programs to show not just leadership, but impact and a track record of achievement that is strong relative to accomplished peers.

Regarding your current employer being unknown – in that situation (not uncommon), you do face the burden of ensuring that the adcom understands your company – its function, scope, structure, etc. But it's also an opportunity, because it means your work situation will be fresh -- and potentially interesting therefore. If your school is #2 in Australia,I believe they will know about it, even if it's not on the list. Also, they will understand the grading scale of an Australian university.

Regarding your ethnicity, I suggest not looking at it in such a calculated way – you are who you are, and present this aspect as naturally and “organically” as possible, which is the best way to show yourself as a confident, distinct individual.

Some other programs I think you might be interested in looking at in the US are Chicago Booth, NYU, and Berkeley Haas. Your current list comprises all reasonable reaches, with HBS being on the “outside edge” of reasonable, depending on the work track record. The schools I just mentioned would also be reasonable reaches. For a slightly less competitive program that might also be a good fit, look at Cornell Johnson.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: 740 GMAT CFA Asian Australian [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:20
Hi Cindy!

Thanks so much for the detailed evaluation. Your ability to present an applicant's profile in its best light is truly admirable. I hope other applicants who don't have a cookie-cutter ivy-league undergrad/IB background will be as encouraged as I am.

My work place only has a handful of staff so I haven't been able to demonstrated leadership in terms of managing teams. This has been one of my concerns for some time so your advice recommending me to highlight leadership in terms of track record and work output is truly insightful. You've also addressed my concerns regarding my unknown employer and university.

Regarding ethnicity, I think I was hung up on the over/under-represented groups from reading too many forums. I was also wondering if a Filipino, from a third world country, would have an advantage in terms of scholarships.

As for school choice, I was hoping to stay on the east coast but I'll keep Booth and Haas in mind for Round 2.

I'll need to brainstorm with some friends to identify any acts of leadership that I may have overlooked. I'll also work on providing the details of my work so the adcoms can appreciate my unique background.

Thanks again for all your help.

All the best,
Warren
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: 740 GMAT CFA Asian Australian [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 10:38
Expert's post
I'm glad it was helpful overall!

Regarding the ethnicity point, it's complex. Naturally you should discuss your background -- it would probably come through in multiple ways, not least your volunteering. But it's not something to count on for "admissions points," and it could backfire if it looks like you're pushing that factor out of proportion. So, again, I suggest presenting it in ways that are natural and proportionate, but make your case through your experience (work and nonwork), education, goals, insights, and overall character. Good luck, Warren!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog