Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 02:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2008, 22:17
On June 14th,2008, (6 months ago) I took the GMAT for the first time and got 700 (Q49,V35) AWA 6.0
Instead of re-taking the test with in a month or two, I waited 6 months (to deal with some family issues) only to get 670 (Q49,V32) Waiting for AWA.

Please help me understand what kind of message am I passing to schools by going from 700 to 670? I am planning to apply in 2009. For now,I am very much leaning away from taking the test for the 3rd time. I am completely exhausted. But I am very confident that I can break 730 mark.
My profile:
Country of citizenship - Indian
Country of Residence - USA
Sex -male
Age - 28
Experience - 4 years in IT
Undergrad in India - GPA 3.0
Masters in Computer Engg in US - GPA 3.2 (Not in top 10, 20)
Extracurricular:
1: One Start up - Consulting company (infant stage) based in northeast with 3 clients.
(This is in very infant state , and I hesitate to mention this as one of my strengths for now. Probably, In another year I can improve this company)
2: Very much interested in math, worked as math tutor in India for 3 years during my under grad (1999 - 2002);
3: Games: Ping pong runner up in university games in undergrad;
4: Music: Can play harmonica - performed few solo shows (again in undergrad);
5: Interested in php open source web development, currently maintaining two websites.This really helped me in my start-up company.

Work Experience:
4 years of full time work experience in Health Care industry in USA. (Non-managerial position)
(German based company - one of the world leaders in health care industry.).
Worked in two different departments in the same company.
First two years in the department of Clinical Information Services.
Next two years in the department of Information Technology - SAP
(Production Planning & Materials Management )

Extra curricular negatives - no awards, did not raise any money, little community service.

Since my GPAs are terrible I thought I should get 730+ in GMAT. But to my surprise, I was staring at 670 on Saturday. Does this mean I am begging the adcoms NOT to let me in?

What should I do in the coming 9 months to improve my chances of getting into Elite / Ultra Elite schools? I am interested Consulting / General Management in schools in New England, NY,NH. Which schools do you recommend? Finally , do you recommend 3rd attempt at GMAT.

Many Thanks in advance for your time & Happy New Year!
saravalli.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2009, 20:48
Happy New Year as well!

Re-taking the GMAT when you already have a 700 sends a message to the adcom that you don't understand the admissions process and/or you don't have your priorities straight. The fact that your 2nd score is lower or higher isn't the issue. Anyhow, what's past is past. Just leave the GMAT alone.

Beyond a certain threshhold (and 700 is basically that threshhold), it's basically irrelevant what your score is. It comes down to everything else - the quality of your work experience, the quality of your accomplishments (work or extracurriculars), and how well you convey your candidacy in the written application and interview.

As for what you can do in less than one year -- other than focusing on doing the best thing you can on your applications -- not much.

Real accomplishments are the result of cumulative years' worth of effort. You don't achieve notable things in a vacuum or expect them to materialize overnight. It takes time - more like years and years. You can't just "get leadership experience" because you one day decide you need it. You have to *earn* it. And earning those experiences and accomplishment, just like earning someone's trust, takes time.

In your case, continue doing what you're doing at you're doing at work, and focus on putting in your best effort on the written applications when you're ready to apply this summer.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2009, 10:21
Thanks for your reply Alex.
Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2009, 10:21