Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 09:43
Male / Indian / 26 – Born in India, studied in the US and am working in the US. Will be a Canadian Permanent Resident in the next 6-8 months

Education:
BS in Computer Engineering from a reputed Indian University, top 10% of my class, graduated with First Class Honors
MS in Industrial Engineering from a top 3 US school, GPA: 3.7/4.0
GMAT: 700 (Q49 – 86th percentile, V37 – 80th percentile) – Took once, don’t know whether giving it another try would help my candidacy much?

Experience:
2 years and 4 months at a mid-tier consulting firm (Deloitte / ATK / Oliver Wyman / Accenture) as an Analyst with the Strategy & Operations Practice. Was among the top 10% of analysts in the 2 year end reviews. Was the VP of the local office chapter of a large diversity group. Took a leadership role (working across all levels in the organization with exposure to senior leadership) in development of global standard supply chain methodology which was presented at Supply Chain World Conference in Houston and since then been used firm-wide for sales and delivery of many engagements
2 years and 3 months (at matriculation) with a boutique but well known pharma /biotech consulting firm as a Senior Associate (post-MBA position within the firm). Moved to a smaller firm for career progression and since joining, have been able to take on more responsibilities on a case team and be the point person on engagement work streams. Work more closely and regularly with senior management (Director, VP, C level) and had a chance to showcase leadership by managing / mentoring junior associates / analysts. Outside my engagement work, I am championing our new learning program within the firm

Extra-Curriculars:
At school: Had leadership positions with 2 different student organizations. Was the VP of the youth council of a local fine arts society outside school.
Outside school:
- Co-founded my own social entrepreneurial venture (NGO) to provide advisory and initial capital to agro-based businesses in India. Have made investments of $15,000 (fundraising through self / friends / family) into 2 animal husbandry businesses. The model has been successful and replicated by 2 local farmers.
- Served as an advisor to a local NGO to develop a mentoring program to facilitate integration of 1st generation immigrant youth to the American culture. Got support from my company for the cause (raised $ & volunteers)
- Was a pro-bono consultant to a large well known healthcare NGO. Helped develop the blueprint for their AIDS treatment model in the Carribean (20 hrs / week for 6 weeks, had company support to do the project)
- Exponent of Classical Indian Music (All India Radio artist) and have given performances in India and the US

Post-MBA Goals:
Short Term: M/B/B consulting with a focus on healthcare and social enterprise. As a 2nd choice, join the leadership development program of a big pharma / biotech company.
Long Term: To take on a leadership role within a pharma / biotech company or lead a social entrepreneurial venture

Schools I am targeting: Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Haas

Would appreciate if you could evaluate my chances and suggest any other schools that might be a good fit considering my goals.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:11
Expert's post
EBSIFounder wrote:
Male / Indian / 26 – Born in India, studied in the US and am working in the US. Will be a Canadian Permanent Resident in the next 6-8 months

Education:
BS in Computer Engineering from a reputed Indian University, top 10% of my class, graduated with First Class Honors
MS in Industrial Engineering from a top 3 US school, GPA: 3.7/4.0
GMAT: 700 (Q49 – 86th percentile, V37 – 80th percentile) – Took once, don’t know whether giving it another try would help my candidacy much?

Experience:
2 years and 4 months at a mid-tier consulting firm (Deloitte / ATK / Oliver Wyman / Accenture) as an Analyst with the Strategy & Operations Practice. Was among the top 10% of analysts in the 2 year end reviews. Was the VP of the local office chapter of a large diversity group. Took a leadership role (working across all levels in the organization with exposure to senior leadership) in development of global standard supply chain methodology which was presented at Supply Chain World Conference in Houston and since then been used firm-wide for sales and delivery of many engagements
2 years and 3 months (at matriculation) with a boutique but well known pharma /biotech consulting firm as a Senior Associate (post-MBA position within the firm). Moved to a smaller firm for career progression and since joining, have been able to take on more responsibilities on a case team and be the point person on engagement work streams. Work more closely and regularly with senior management (Director, VP, C level) and had a chance to showcase leadership by managing / mentoring junior associates / analysts. Outside my engagement work, I am championing our new learning program within the firm

Extra-Curriculars:
At school: Had leadership positions with 2 different student organizations. Was the VP of the youth council of a local fine arts society outside school.
Outside school:
- Co-founded my own social entrepreneurial venture (NGO) to provide advisory and initial capital to agro-based businesses in India. Have made investments of $15,000 (fundraising through self / friends / family) into 2 animal husbandry businesses. The model has been successful and replicated by 2 local farmers.
- Served as an advisor to a local NGO to develop a mentoring program to facilitate integration of 1st generation immigrant youth to the American culture. Got support from my company for the cause (raised $ & volunteers)
- Was a pro-bono consultant to a large well known healthcare NGO. Helped develop the blueprint for their AIDS treatment model in the Carribean (20 hrs / week for 6 weeks, had company support to do the project)
- Exponent of Classical Indian Music (All India Radio artist) and have given performances in India and the US

Post-MBA Goals:
Short Term: M/B/B consulting with a focus on healthcare and social enterprise. As a 2nd choice, join the leadership development program of a big pharma / biotech company.
Long Term: To take on a leadership role within a pharma / biotech company or lead a social entrepreneurial venture

Schools I am targeting: Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck, MIT, Haas

Would appreciate if you could evaluate my chances and suggest any other schools that might be a good fit considering my goals.

Do you think you can raise the GMAT? Considering your demographic, target schools, and target industry, I think you would be wise to raise it if you can. If you practice tests were also around 700, then leave it. if they were in the mid-700's, then you may want to retake.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 04:37
Yes, I was consistently scoring 740-760 on practice tests but somehow come the day of the real test, I didn't do that well. If I were able to retake the GMAT and raise my score by 20-40 points, would that make competitive for schools that I am targeting?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 14:27
Expert's post
EBSIFounder wrote:
Yes, I was consistently scoring 740-760 on practice tests but somehow come the day of the real test, I didn't do that well. If I were able to retake the GMAT and raise my score by 20-40 points, would that make competitive for schools that I am targeting?

I can't say with 100% certainly that a higher GMAT score will be the difference between rejection and acceptance. You could get a higher score and still get rejected. However, I do believe you will be more competitive at your target programs with a higher score.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog