Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request - Alternative career path

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Profile evaluation request - Alternative career path [#permalink] New post 26 May 2014, 20:22
Dear Accepted.com,

I would be grateful if you could help me identify the business schools that would fit my profile. Please find my profile below, under the format you suggested:

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
By the time I apply, I will have worked 3.5 years as "Manager of Legal Affairs" at a fairly known international organization working on a very mediatized topic. While I haven't been promoted as the organization is relatively "flat", I can demonstrate steadingly increasing responsibilities. Managed a few projects.
I also worked as an intern in another intl. organization in the Netherlands whose work is fairly known, and was also later recruited as recording secretary for expert meetings.

2) GMAT
770 (Q50/V47), IR 8

3) College info:
Studied Law (LL.B.) at a lesser-known university in Canada. Graduated in 2008 with a GPA of 3.08/4.3. Semester abroad in Denmark.
Masters degree (LL.M.) in international law from the same school - graduated in 2009 with a GPA of 3.96/4.3
Masters degree in France (2009) - average ~80%

4) Significant extra-curricular activities or community service.
During college, I was involved in the law students association as vice-president, and was supervising the publication of the weekly law students newspaper. In high-school, I was also president of the student union. Currently, I am sitting on the board of a committee of the city's bar association.

5) Important certifications:
Bar Exam (2010)

Not a proper certification, but am fluent in French, English, Spanish, and have a working knowledge of German, Mandarin and Portuguese.

6) Your target programs:
I'm really aiming for INSEAD as I feel it fits me the best, but I am open to suggestions. I'm also considering Harvard & Wharton Lauder, despite them possibly being stretch.

Honestly speaking, although I'm leaving the door open, I am not very interested by US programs as I would like to study abroad (US doesn't really count as abroad, when living in Canada!) and gain international exposure. For this reason, INSEAD really caught my eye, as well as Wharton Lauder.

7) When you plan to apply?
R1 2014

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Change! In terms of responsibilities, on the medium-long term, I would like to focus more on management of projects than on law, while continuing to work within the sphere of international organizations which, I think, have a lot to learn from management practices from the private sector. In that sense, I would be happy to work for a few years after the MBA within the private sector before going back. In terms of geography, I would also like to work in Asia (1) or in Europe (2).

I already spoke about my MBA project with my superiors who mentioned a door would still be open after I'm done with the program. Despite the goals I just mentioned, I'm wondering if I should use the angle of "coming back to my organization" in my application, knowing that things might change in the course of the program.

--
Your help regarding my target schools and the approach to use during the application project would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Tom
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request - Alternative career path [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2014, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

I agree that INSEAD would be a good target program, as would Wharton’s Lauder. Of course Lauder has the international component, but I wonder why you mention Harvard, since you also said you’re not too interested in US programs.

If you prepare a stellar application, you would essentially be qualified for any top-tier European or Asian program. I would suggest looking closely at LBS, IMD, and IESE in Europe, and in Asia HKUST and CEIBS. If your interest in Asia includes South Asia, you might even look at the stellar Indian Business School.

Regarding your goals, strategically, your goals to work in the private sector make good sense, and would be credible goals – but you must be more specific and detailed (see my online goals tutorial). You could even present your company’s open-door as a solid Plan B.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Re: Profile evaluation request - Alternative career path [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 19:01
CindyTAccepted wrote:
Hello,

I agree that INSEAD would be a good target program, as would Wharton’s Lauder. Of course Lauder has the international component, but I wonder why you mention Harvard, since you also said you’re not too interested in US programs.

If you prepare a stellar application, you would essentially be qualified for any top-tier European or Asian program. I would suggest looking closely at LBS, IMD, and IESE in Europe, and in Asia HKUST and CEIBS. If your interest in Asia includes South Asia, you might even look at the stellar Indian Business School.

Regarding your goals, strategically, your goals to work in the private sector make good sense, and would be credible goals – but you must be more specific and detailed (see my online goals tutorial). You could even present your company’s open-door as a solid Plan B.

Hello Cindy,

Thank you very much for the advice - it is very much appreciated. Your comments about INSEAD and Wharton Lauder comfort me in my choices, and I will also have a second look at some of the other business schools you mentioned. While I would be very interested in studying in a purely Asian school (HKUST/CEIBS), I'm a bit concerned that these schools would not be well recognized in Europe, or in North America should I end up moving back here (although it's not my goal).

About Harvard - your comment does make sense, but... I must admit I like the idea of giving it a try. For the moment, I think my strategy will to get the doors to open, before choosing which one to enter!

Thank you again for your help
Tom