Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request and school reccomendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request and school reccomendations [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 11:58
770 GMAT (50Q,45V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 in Philosophy from William and Mary (graduated 2007)

Professional Certifications: PMP (Project Management Professional)

Previous work experience includes founding a company with a high school friend, volunteering in Ghana, working for 2 different U.S. Senators on capital hill (intern and then staff assistant - both low level jobs), Currently Director of Project Management and Operations at a solar energy development and finance Company:

Joined the current company pre-funding 3 years ago as an intern (promoted to Operations Analyst, then Project Manager, then Senior Project Manager, and finally to Director of Project Management and Operations). Currently report directly to the CEO and have 3 direct reports (fewer than 15 people total in the company). Responsible for solar project technical review, design and engineering, materials procurement, and project and asset management. I've overseen technical evaluation of over 500MW of project pipeline (includes redesigning projects to lower installation costs, and increase energy harvest), project managed over 2 MW and over see asset management of all projects constructed, Also consulting as a solar subject matter expert for the Cornell tech campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Goals: move to senior management,and then c-level in a renewable energy/clean tech company. Eventually found my own company.

I'd like to study entrepreneurship, and am going to school both to make connections and improve my skill sets aspects of business that I'd don't get a whole lot of exposure to (mostly finance). Currently looking at
Stanford
Harvard
MIT
Penn
Chicago
Northwestern

but would also like suggestions for other top schools that have top entrepreneurship programs.

Edit: I should also add INSEAD and London School of Business on my list. Would love to get an MBA from a top international school, though the foreign language requirement is somewhat prohibitive (I have 4 years of french but 2 non 'A' grades in high school, both of them French, and one of them a D)

Last edited by bradenpan on 18 Nov 2012, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request and school reccomendations [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 22:02
Expert's post
bradenpan wrote:
770 GMAT (50Q,45V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 in Philosophy from William and Mary (graduated 2003)

Professional Certifications: PMP (Project Management Professional)

Previous work experience includes founding a company with a high school friend, volunteering in Ghana, working for 2 different U.S. Senators on capital hill (intern and then staff assistant - both low level jobs), Currently Director of Project Management and Operations at a solar energy development and finance Company:

Joined the current company pre-funding 3 years ago as an intern (promoted to Operations Analyst, then Project Manager, then Senior Project Manager, and finally to Director of Project Management and Operations). Currently report directly to the CEO and have 3 direct reports (fewer than 15 people total in the company). Responsible for solar project technical review, design and engineering, materials procurement, and project and asset management. I've overseen technical evaluation of over 500MW of project pipeline (includes redesigning projects to lower installation costs, and increase energy harvest), project managed over 2 MW and over see asset management of all projects constructed, Also consulting as a solar subject matter expert for the Cornell tech campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Goals: move to senior management,and then c-level in a renewable energy/clean tech company. Eventually found my own company.

I'd like to study entrepreneurship, and am going to school both to make connections and improve my skill sets aspects of business that I'd don't get a whole lot of exposure to (mostly finance). Currently looking at
Stanford
Harvard
MIT
Penn
Chicago
Northwestern

but would also like suggestions for other top schools that have top entrepreneurship programs.

Edit: I should also add INSEAD and London School of Business on my list. Would love to get an MBA from a top international school, though the foreign language requirement is somewhat prohibitive (I have 4 years of french but 2 non 'A' grades in high school, both of them French, and one of them a D)

Your GMAT is stellar. Your work experience is impressive and rich. You're in a hot area and you must have done some interesting traveling. I'm concerned, however about your GPA. Admittedly 10 years ago and you do have the PMP. Were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the GPA? Any trends?

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request and school reccomendations [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 07:16
Linda - thanks for the comment

first off: I updated my graduation date to the correct year: 2007 (I entered college in 2003, apparently I was struggling yesterday).

Re: GPA - no extenuating circumstances and no distinct trends. I did have a 3.3 in my major. Honestly, I didn't really go to class that much in college, I wasted the time away goofing off with friends. While it was a great time, I do wish I had made more of an effort on the educational side. I think (or at least hope) everything else shows that I'm intelligent and I've matured since then so (hopefully) schools won't see it as too much of an issue.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request and school reccomendations [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 22:25
Expert's post
bradenpan wrote:
Linda - thanks for the comment

first off: I updated my graduation date to the correct year: 2007 (I entered college in 2003, apparently I was struggling yesterday).

Re: GPA - no extenuating circumstances and no distinct trends. I did have a 3.3 in my major. Honestly, I didn't really go to class that much in college, I wasted the time away goofing off with friends. While it was a great time, I do wish I had made more of an effort on the educational side. I think (or at least hope) everything else shows that I'm intelligent and I've matured since then so (hopefully) schools won't see it as too much of an issue.

Brad,

You're welcome. Thanks for clarifying.

Again, you need to address that GPA. Say it was due to immaturity. That you wish you had taken your coursework more seriously. Point to your professional progress and PMP as evidence that you have matured and know how to apply yourself.

For more ideas on handling a low GPA, please see http://blog.accepted.com/2012/06/13/mba ... ad-grades/ .

I still think you should apply to the programs you have targeted with the possible exception of HBS and MIT. Then add a couple of programs that support your goals and may be so wow'ed by everything else that they will overlook the GPA. Consider Cornell Johnson, UT McCombs, and UCLA Anderson.

If you would like help with your MBA application, please let me know.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog