Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Asian American Male Engineer [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think with your current stats, your backup schools are really more like target schools, and your target schools are reaches. So I'd encourage you to add 1 or 2 safer schools as true backups. With a 730, your target schools are target and your backup ones are backup. Though in that case, I'd still put Harvard/Stanford as reaches, they are always going to be reaches for nearly everyone :)

I believe that yes you are applying from an over-represented demographic so it can be harder to stand out. Should not make a huge difference but something to keep in mind.

Kate

jobinv123 wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1) based on my current profile and GMAT score, what schools are in my range and what schools would be considered stretch? If my GMAT score was a 730 instead of a 700, what would be my target schools and what would be stretch?

2) Does being an Asian American engineer make me an overrepresented minority therefore making competition more difficult?

Thanks,

Jobin

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks kate, this is exactly what I've been looking for so kudos to you. I'm going to retake the GMAT and aim for a 730.

Final question- If I was two years younger, what steps could I have taken to make HBS / Stanford a target school instead of a reach? 750 GMAT? Starting a volunteer organization? Please be specific as I already know I'd need to stand out from the rest of the applicant pool.

Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
If only we could turn back the clock :)

Higher GMAT, some non-engineering work experience, something really impressive in your extracurriculars (doesn't have to be starting a volunteer organization)...those are the things that initially come to mind.

Kate

jobinv123 wrote:
Thanks kate, this is exactly what I've been looking for so kudos to you. I'm going to retake the GMAT and aim for a 730.

Final question- If I was two years younger, what steps could I have taken to make HBS / Stanford a target school instead of a reach? 750 GMAT? Starting a volunteer organization? Please be specific as I already know I'd need to stand out from the rest of the applicant pool.

Moderator:
1452 posts