Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - Canadian/male/25/GMAT710/GPA2.7

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request - Canadian/male/25/GMAT710/GPA2.7 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 19:12
Canadian/ male/ 25

1) Having graduated in 2011, I have been employed full time at Canada's leading telecommunications provider, Bell Canada, for nearly 3 years now. I initially started off in the marketing division, had a brief stint in auditing, and am currently a Strategy and Planning Manager, supervising a team of 2 analysts.

2) Total 710. Q49 (81%), V37 (82%).

3) University of Toronto, Honours Bachelor of Science - Biology, 2.72 cumulative GPA. 3.4 and 3.5 in last 2 years respectively.
Long story short, I had no idea as to what I wanted to do with my life when I first entered university and was forced into a Neuroscience program by my parents. My grades were poor in my first year but got incredibly worse in my second year despite me putting in a lot of effort into my studies. The fact that I had to work part time to partially fund my tuition did not help either. My declining grades caused a lot of issues family wise: my dad became very ill, my mom blamed his declining health on my abysmal grades, and my family seemed to be falling apart. At the end of second year, I knew a drastic change had to be made so I dropped out of Neuroscience and took on Biology. I knew it was still not the program for me but I decided that I didn't want to waste the money my parents had already put into my education so I chose a field that would allow me to carry over the majority of my neuroscience credits, while eliminating the courses that I was having significant trouble with.

4) Extracurricular involvements:
Elected as the alumni chair of my fraternity shortly after my graduation. Role involves providing professional networking opportunities to young brothers and providing advice to the active house from an alumni's perspective.
Canadian Blood Services - One Match Stem Cell Network. Served as a promoter for Canadian Blood Services by raising awareness of stem cell research and enlisting community members into the donor database.
Canadian Cancer Society - Relay for Life. Developed innovative fundraising campaigns to raise awareness of breast and prostate cancer while raising funds for research.
Assisted in the execution of the annual 12 hour overnight carnival style fundraiser that brought the Toronto community together to raise over $10 million CAD in 2013.
University of Toronto - Student Mentorship Program. As a mentor for first year students, I was expected to counsel and advise incoming first year students on various aspects of university life including but not limited to course selection, time management and career counseling.
University of Toronto - Student Residence Council. I was elected to the student residence council as a community representative during my two years living on residence.
This primary functions of this role were to advocate changes to residence policy based on evolving student needs and to assist in organizing biweekly events for the resident population.

5) No other qualifications.

6) I've been in love with Stanford ever since I visited its campus last year but I realize I might be overreaching here. Any Ivy leagues school would basically be a dream come true. It's already April and my choices are very limited at this point for September enrollment. I'm contemplating Cornell/ Yale/ Cambridge currently but have no idea how competitive my application is. Where should I be applying currently and where would you recommend I apply if I waited till the 2015 admission cycle?

7) Need advice on when to apply. Should I try this year or wait till the 2015 cycle? I don't have any strict personal timelines.

8) I'd like to work in a strategy consulting capacity at a leading firm such as Deloitte/ Bain & Co./ KPMG.

Any advice on where I should be applying considering my profile and shortcomings (GPA) would be greatly appreciated.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Canadian/male/25/GMAT710/GPA2.7 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 12:36
Expert's post
Hello,

That’s quite a story about the GPA, and I’m glad to hear that you turned things around to earn very acceptable GPAs in the last 2 years. That will definitely help. I’d say your work and your extracurriculars are your strong point. Your GPA is acceptable; it does the job.

That said, I do think Stanford is probably out of range. The other programs would be reasonable targets I believe – though Yale would be a fairly high reach, the others would be reasonable reaches.

Other programs you might look at are Anderson (UCLA), Michigan, Darden, Duke. Perhaps Georgetown as well.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Canadian/male/25/GMAT710/GPA2.7 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 13:11
Thanks a lot for your input Cindy!
I ended up applying to Rotman (local school in case I decide to do the program PT) and to Johnson (Cornell).

I have an interview at Rotman this Saturday so hopefully all goes well.
The admissions staff at Cornell advised me that they'd be getting back to me within two weeks with next steps.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Canadian/male/25/GMAT710/GPA2.7 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 11:11
Expert's post
It all sounds good! Good luck with the Rotman interview!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog