I'm a prospective applicant for a 2-year MBA starting Fall 2011. I was hoping to get your inputs on what my chances are at the top 10 bschools and which schools can i target with my profile.
I'm looking at a career in Strategy Consulting in the Technology domain post my MBA, and in time move into Private Equity/Venture Capital in the Cleantech and Emerging technologies domain.
24/M Indian, currently have 2 years work-ex (3 years at matriculation) as a Jr analyst in the Investment Banking arm of a top tier Investment Bank (bulge bracket), and have basically handled projects dealing with financial advisory on M&A and capital raising opportunities for clients in the financial institutions sector. I was one of the 5 engineers from a batch of 400 to have been selected in the IB division... and part of the 1st batch of engineering recruits in the firm - post which the dept has actively gone ahead and recruited more engineers from my college (volunteered in the recruitment drive as well). In my two years so far, I have had diverse experience having worked with colleagues in New York (remotely + a stint in NY) handling M&A and equity raising projects for the US banking sector and with colleagues in HK/Singapore (remotely) working on projects pertaining to the Asian debt capital markets. Further have actively taken part in various department-wide initiatives (Speaker sessions, Sports, Quiz, etc), and also unofficially led a team of 4 members when pitching a multi-million dollar revenue generating idea to senior management at the Investment bank as a part of another dept initiative, youngest employee in the dept to do so
Bachelor in Engineering (Electronics), graduated from a Top tier University in India in 2008 with highest honours (First Class with Distinction, 70.2%) (equivalent GPA of about 3.5)
GMAT - 760 (Q51, V41, AWA 5.5)
Additional courses - CFA Level 1 cleared with highest grades in all subjects
In terms of my co-curricular and extra-curricular activities,
- I have a 4-year association with National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN), a nonprofit organization that helps budding entrepreneurs launch their businesses and mentors the youth on entrepreneurship. Currently, I'm a part of the core Leadership council of NEN E-club Mumbai Chapter.
- Additionally, I'm associated with a local NGO supporting underprivileged children and have taken initiative in mentoring the children
- Am also a part of the local chapter of Lions Club International. (Although both these activities have been recent in 2010)
- Was very active in college co-curricular activities and held several leaderhip positions in different student bodies (not sure how relevant that will be though)
I would greatly appreciate your inputs on this and your assessment would go a long way in helping me decide which schools to target with my profile.
Thanks and Regards,
Thanks for your post. Consider MIT Sloan, Stanford
You may also be interested in:
* Where Should You Apply? A Guide to Selecting the Best MBA Programs
*MBA Applicants: What McKinsey (and HBS) Wants
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog