Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - ChE BS/740 GMAT/IT Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request - ChE BS/740 GMAT/IT Consulting [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 10:03
Hi all,

I'd like to request a profile evaluation. So, here it goes.

I recently graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BS in Chemical Engineering. My undergrad GPA isn't that great (3.2/4.0) but hopefully admission teams will recognize that it is an engineering GPA and that UT Austin is a Top 10 school for engineering. My GPA became poor during my last two years of undergrad when I realized that I didn't want to go into the engineering industry, so I became active at the business school. During that time, I became an Executive Director for one of the business clubs, Team Lead for a consulting team that offered pro-bono management consulting services to local business, and participated in several consulting teams and case competitions. In one of the case competitions which was for GM, we won 3rd place and GM actually turned one of my own personal recommendations into reality.

I am currently working at an IT consulting firm specializing in providing more efficient accounting practices for energy companies. We have an over 80% market share in our industry and our clients include large energy companies such as Chevron, BP, Exxon, etc. I have only been working at the firm for 3 months and plan to apply for MBA programs within the next 2 years.

I also took my GMAT right out of college and scored a 740. As for extracurriculars, I haven't been doing much since I'm still getting adjusted to life after college. However, I have been volunteering at a developing meditation center near my house every Saturday. I also plan on joining my local Habitat for Humanity or volunteering at my local animal shelter soon.

And the reason why I want to get an MBA is that I'd really like a career shift from the technical role I have right now to more of a functional role. In the end, I would love to work as a product manager or in operations/strategy in the tech or manufacturing industry.

So finally, the questions.
- Given my profile, what are the chances of me getting into a Top 10 MBA program (MIT Sloan, Harvard, Columbia, NYU, etc)? And what about specifically to MIT, as they have a very interesting dual degree program (MIT LGO) that I would love to go to.
- When programs mention that applicants need 2 years of work experience, is that 2 years prior to entering the program or 2 years before applying?
- When should I start applying for schools? Is applying for 2012 too early given that I just graduated in 2010? If I apply for 2012, that means I would be applying after only 1 year or work experience, so I'm not too sure if that'll be of any value.
- My current employer has a "No References" policy - they can only confirm that I've worked there but cannot give any more detail due to legal reasons. So, should I continue to work there in hopes that I might be able to get personal recommendations from my managers? Or should I try to find another employer, which I think would look bad on my part since I've only been working for 3 months. And if I decide to stick with my current employer, and happen to be able to get personal recommendations, how does that look compared to professional ones?
- Lastly, what should I do in the next two years to set myself apart from other applicants to better my chances of getting into the top schools?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Cheers!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Profile Evaluation Request - ChE BS/740 GMAT/IT Consulting   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 10:03