Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Schools: Cornell(A), Duke(WL), UNC(Ding), CMU(WL)
WE 1: 1 YR: Construciton Materials Production
WE 2: 3 YR: Construction Project Management
, given: 1
Profile Evaluation Request - Civil Engineer [#permalink]
07 Aug 2010, 14:45
I just wrote my GMAT and received 670 (47Q, 35V). I am disappointed as I was expecting to land between 700-720 based on my exam prep. I am on the fence about whether or not I should rewrite the test. The rest of my profile is as follows:
1) I am a Canadian citizen and I have an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from a top 3 school in Canada (Queen's University). We did not use GPA's, but mine is probably somewhere around a 3.0 (this was 60th percentile at my school). Its worth noting that my first and second year grades are low and my 3rd and 4th year grades (harder classes) are quite high. This is due to a lack of focus and difficult transition to University life during my first two years.
2) After graduation, I moved to the U.S. to take a job in construction project management. I am heavily involved in technical review of engineered drawings as well as financial control of $10 - $70 million projects. I have completed 3 years of work experience in this role.
3) During school I was a member and coach of the Engineering rugby team, I was a student tutor, I was an orientation week leader for first year students, and then a manager of orientation week leaders the following year. I was also a mentor in a program that paired upper year students with younger students. Since graduating I have been heavily involved with my alumni organization in Boston, I have volunteered for the 'Rebuild Boston' construction Charity, and I am a day trip leader for the Boston Ski And Snow board club.
4) I have excelled in my financial responsibilities (not many 3rd year college recruits have been given the opportunity to manage financials on a $70 million project like I have!). I am looking to pursue an MBA with a financial concentration
Long story short, I have two questions
1) The only schools I am interested in are Cornell, Yale and Dartmouth. Do I stand a chance?
2) Is it worth re-writing in the next month, or should I focus on my applications instead?