Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
Schools: INSEAD Jan '16
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 12:30
Hi Team,

Brief Background

Job Location : Worldwide
Years of Experience : 18 Months As a Trainee Officer Pre Graduation and 29 Months Post Graduation.
Target Schools : INSEAD , NUS , NTU
Nationality : Indian
GMAT Score : 730 ( Q 50 V 40 IR 7 )

Good Day,
Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know of my chances in INSEAD and other top programs which offer International Business.I am currently working as a navigating third officer in a European Shipping Company .I have been in this role for the past 2 years now. In this role, I lead a team of typically 6-8 ppl of different nationalities in handling logistics and other heavy duty ship activities, apart from this I'm also in charge of the navigation aspect of the ship during my watch. I have taken my GMAT recently and scored 730, Post MBA I want to pursue a career on shore,I'm basically targeting a role in strategy or in supply chain/logistics in a large multinational corporate firm.I am presently targeting schools in Singapore. Can you let me know if I have a shot at INSEAD and the other schools. Or if there are other schools in the US or Europe,where I stand a chance,given my background.
Apart from sailing,I have around (4-5 months paid leave in an year) in my vacation time I regularly work for an NGO,and teach languages for underprivileged school children in my locality.I speak fluent English and passable French.

Please Advice .

Regards
Yukrant
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 22:44
Expert's post
yukurc wrote:
Hi Team,

Brief Background

Job Location : Worldwide
Years of Experience : 18 Months As a Trainee Officer Pre Graduation and 29 Months Post Graduation.
Target Schools : INSEAD , NUS , NTU
Nationality : Indian
GMAT Score : 730 ( Q 50 V 40 IR 7 )

Good Day,
Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know of my chances in INSEAD and other top programs which offer International Business.I am currently working as a navigating third officer in a European Shipping Company .I have been in this role for the past 2 years now. In this role, I lead a team of typically 6-8 ppl of different nationalities in handling logistics and other heavy duty ship activities, apart from this I'm also in charge of the navigation aspect of the ship during my watch. I have taken my GMAT recently and scored 730, Post MBA I want to pursue a career on shore,I'm basically targeting a role in strategy or in supply chain/logistics in a large multinational corporate firm.I am presently targeting schools in Singapore. Can you let me know if I have a shot at INSEAD and the other schools. Or if there are other schools in the US or Europe,where I stand a chance,given my background.
Apart from sailing,I have around (4-5 months paid leave in an year) in my vacation time I regularly work for an NGO,and teach languages for underprivileged school children in my locality.I speak fluent English and passable French.

Please Advice .

Regards
Yukrant

Hey there Yukrant,

First of all, congrats on that fantastic GMAT dude! 730! Looks veeeeery good.

Overall your profile looks very nice. You have an interesting job with some leadership, and something that will set you apart from most Indian candidates. Your goals make sense too. A few things are still not entirely clear to me, like your UG degree and GPA, your achievements in the merchant marines, as well as your progress (promotions and so on)... and these things can change more or less the strength of your profile.

But basically I think you should have a shot at all three of the schools above. You can consider a few other schools in Asia if you are interested: CEIBS, HKUST, and so on.

In Europe and the US you would also have a shot, and there are plenty of schools that are great. Its more a question of what you want, where you want to work and live after you graduate, and so on.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 23:25
Good Day Jon,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Regarding my UG degree, I hold a Bachelor Of Engineering Degree in Marine from BIT, with a GPA of 7.3. That translates to a First Class with Distinction.
Regarding my career, I started off as a trainee dual officer and my UG degree was sponsored by the same company. After completion of degree and after obtaining a license, I got promoted to a third navigating officer within the organisation.After two years in this role, I got recommended for a further promotion to serve as a second navigating officer.
Apart from the navigation role, I am a trained engineer as well, and I have the experience of working with Marine Engines.

My main concern is what are the kind of programs or schools I should be targeting in the US or EU??? Post MBA,I don't mind working anywhere in the world.
Any word on this,will be a great help to me.

Thanks,
Yukrant
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 05:25
Expert's post
Hey there Yukrant,
Well on the positive side, you have the 730, an interesting career and real leadership.
On the challenges side, you are still an Indian (sort of Tech) male, candidate with good but not great grades, from a good but not IIT college.

Very roughly, if you were to apply to US schools I think you would be good at schools ranked 10-30, which is great really. Now those schools + Europe + Asian schools may be too many, and you are gonna need to find some sort of criteria to whittle down your list, cause there are plenty of good schools out there.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 21:16
Thanks a lot for your feedback Jon.Really appreciate it.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR AN INTERNATIONAL MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 23:03
Expert's post
yukurc wrote:
Thanks a lot for your feedback Jon.Really appreciate it.

You got it dude.

Good luck. And if you need further guidance, drop a line.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com