Joined: 13 Sep 2013
Location: United States (NJ)
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
, given: 1
Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA [#permalink]
30 Oct 2013, 22:29
I am looking to apply to Columbia EMBA ED due January. Hope you can evaluate my profile and two-month plan for applying for a chance.
- Demographic: Korean, 30 Year-old, Male, nationalized US Citizen (Came to US in 1999)
- WE: 6 years in total as accountant, will be 7 when apply next year. 4 years at luxury menswear company, and 2 years (and current) at cosmetic company. Both US subsidiary of very well-known European company. Especially my current employer is FG500 and # 1 in the industry. My current title is Senior accountant (Promoted just after one year from joining the company. Guess it's one of the selling points I can bring at interview?) and recommendations will come from manager and AVP.
- GMAT: 670 - 49Q, 33V, 4.5 AWA, 6 IR. Will retake with hope for 700+.
- Education: BBA in Accounting at UMass Amherst. 3.4 GPA with cum laude. Minor in Japanese
- Passed CPA exam, but not technically CPA yet due to 150 credit requirements not fulfilled yet
- Participate in several project outside ordinary work; Intranet accounting website development committee, on-site CPE class discussion leader, volunteering, Sandy recovery assistance for Korean neighbors
- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand & general management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.
- Essays. The first essay will start with my personal background (how I've been exposed to business in general, why came to US) story then spread why I am pursuing EMBA with concentration in retail & luxury industry and its brand management. Columbia has Retail & Luxury Goods club, which I already sent an email to adcom if EMBA student can participate in club activity. I will include that if adcom says possible.
The second essay will be about diversity of NYC by writing why I came to NYC upon graduation in 2007 (because of diversity!), how my diversity will fit well to NYC culture, and my academic expectation from it.
The third essay will be a little bit of gear changing, thus little challenging. I am thinking about writing my passion & skill in music then transit the focus to how it helped to build my leadership by leading teams for music competition and events. I thought this would qualify as 'pleasantly surprised' factor as I don't think there are places in application to put my music related skills and experiences. And by mixing leadership to it, I thought it would be interesting to read.
How does everything sound? Do I have a good plan for next two months?