Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 22:29
Hello Bryant,

I am looking to apply to Columbia EMBA ED due January. Hope you can evaluate my profile and two-month plan for applying for a chance.

- Demographic: Korean, 30 Year-old, Male, nationalized US Citizen (Came to US in 1999)

- WE: 6 years in total as accountant, will be 7 when apply next year. 4 years at luxury menswear company, and 2 years (and current) at cosmetic company. Both US subsidiary of very well-known European company. Especially my current employer is FG500 and # 1 in the industry. My current title is Senior accountant (Promoted just after one year from joining the company. Guess it's one of the selling points I can bring at interview?) and recommendations will come from manager and AVP.

- GMAT: 670 - 49Q, 33V, 4.5 AWA, 6 IR. Will retake with hope for 700+.

- Education: BBA in Accounting at UMass Amherst. 3.4 GPA with cum laude. Minor in Japanese

- Passed CPA exam, but not technically CPA yet due to 150 credit requirements not fulfilled yet

- Participate in several project outside ordinary work; Intranet accounting website development committee, on-site CPE class discussion leader, volunteering, Sandy recovery assistance for Korean neighbors

- My career goal after MBA is advancing in corporate finance in current industry (retail & luxury goods), then move to brand & general management area. Reason why I am pursuing Columbia EMBA is that, from my understanding, Columbia has a strong curriculum in this area as well as its NYC location is certainly advantage. Because international consumer is major part of luxury business, my essays will be focusing on my international background (both personal & professional) can be an advantage to the brand management.

- Essays. The first essay will start with my personal background (how I've been exposed to business in general, why came to US) story then spread why I am pursuing EMBA with concentration in retail & luxury industry and its brand management. Columbia has Retail & Luxury Goods club, which I already sent an email to adcom if EMBA student can participate in club activity. I will include that if adcom says possible.

The second essay will be about diversity of NYC by writing why I came to NYC upon graduation in 2007 (because of diversity!), how my diversity will fit well to NYC culture, and my academic expectation from it.

The third essay will be a little bit of gear changing, thus little challenging. I am thinking about writing my passion & skill in music then transit the focus to how it helped to build my leadership by leading teams for music competition and events. I thought this would qualify as 'pleasantly surprised' factor as I don't think there are places in application to put my music related skills and experiences. And by mixing leadership to it, I thought it would be interesting to read.

How does everything sound? Do I have a good plan for next two months?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 12:39
Expert's post
Your profile is a tricky one since you are just past the WE level for a fT program and on the low side for an EMBA. If you have an employer sponsoring you it will help. Most EMBA programs have students with 10 years + WE, so you will need to convince them you will add value to the classroom through what you have achieved and the impact you have made both on your company and in the community. Ivy league schools won't be super impressed with UMASS, which is a good school, but not a top 50 college. They also will not be impressed you have been working so long yet never bothered to get your CPA. Remember you will be in the classroom with some pretty established business folks. I would try to get my GMAT score up a bit and drill down into why you should have a seat in the program vs. the next guy who has 10 years as a CPA. This is what the adcom will have to decide, so build your case carefully. Let us know if we can help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 15:59
Thanks for your honest insight, Bryan. I will do my best to explain the points you mentioned, especially CPA one. I honestly did not feel the need of it as corporate accountant. In fact, unlike popular belief that everyone is CPA, many folks in corporate accounting area are not CPAs. Even for my company, out of 70+ accountants, only about 10 are CPAs. (And at my last job, zero out 10 accountants)

With that being said, how about Stern Part time if my profile is weak for CBS EMBA?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation request for Columbia EMBA [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 08:10
Expert's post
Either would likely be a good fit--thanks for the clarification on CPA, as it edifies me to know that about the corporate accounting realm. Actually makes sense. sort of like attorneys who don't have to take clients or run their own practice but work in corporate law.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews