Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request for Tier-I B-schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request for Tier-I B-schools [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 02:34
Hello Sir

I will be applying for a full time MBA program during the first round of applications in 2014 (for the class of 2015). Below is my profile:

Demographics: 24 year old Indian Male settled in Delhi

WE: Working as a Business Analyst with a leading US based management consulting firm in the field of sales and marketing, focused on the pharmaceutical industry (Among top 20 consulting firms in the world and top 3 in healthcare sector). Current experience of 1.5 years (Will be 3 years by the time I join an MBA program in 2015).
I havn't gotten any opportunity to lead teams yet but I have started getting roles where I mentor junior associates.

Education: B.Tech (Hons.) from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (CGPA: 8.76/10.0) - Among top 10% students in my course
Class 12th - 94% (Ranked 3 out of 400 students in school)
Class 10th - 93%

GMAT - Planning to give in March 2014 (I gave the GMAC mock test in Mar 2012 without any preparation and got a score of 710). GRE score (2011): Quant 170/170; Verbal 155/170

Awards and Achievements:
Published a research paper (as first author) in an international scientific journal (Impact factor - 1.297) during final year in college
Awarded Gold Medal in school for outstanding academic performance for six consecutive years

Olympiads:
Gold Merit and Silver Merit in National Cyber Olympiad in 2004, 2001

Extra-curricular activities:
Associated with an NGO (since last 4 months) to teach kids in an orphanage - goal is to improve their language skills through a properly designed curriculum and study material from Oxford University Press.
Helped setup a Toastmasters Club in office and currently acting as the Treasurer along with being an active member of the same.
Like to spend some time doing online courses from sites like coursera (Completed Finance 101 and Marketing 101 from Ross Business School and Wharton Business School)
During College: Held a lot of positions of responsibility such as organizing department fest (budget of INR 300,000), TEDx, Technology expo. and also part of a student body which helped the institute by transferring its technologies to the industry, educating and facilitating students to patent their ideas and bringing in sponsored research projects from industry.

Internships (during College): Summer Intern at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles for a period of 2 months - was offered admission to M.S. + Ph.D. by my guide.

Career Goals post MBA:
Short term - Join a PE/VC firm or a consulting firm
Long term - Setup my own venture

Target B-Schools: Top 10 in US and top 3-5 in Europe

I would request you to please evaluate my profile with respect to my target MBA schools and career goals. I have some specific questions which it would be great if you can take some time out to answer:
1. Is my expectation for a tier-1 bschool realistic or am I aiming too high?
2. I still am in the process of building my profile and any guidance in that direction would be immensely helpful. Should I look for a job change? What kind of job should I be searching for given my "Why MBA story". Is my extra-curricular profile strong enough or should I try to involve myself in some other activities?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request for Tier-I B-schools [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 15:39
Expert's post
Tier one schools in the US take several Indian applicants each yeär but certainly not nearly as many as the voluminous numbers which apply. standing out is difficult and with only three years of work experience and very little leadership you may find it challenging to compete. your core profile is fine but they would likely balk at your goal to work for a PE or VC firm since its fairly widely viewed as a very difficult industry to crack as a freshly minted MBA. best to stick with the consulting goal and to be safe I would add a school or two to my target list that is outside the top ten. i would say you could increase your chances by getting some leadership experience either through work or in the community. perhaps run for an elected office or get involved in an area which taps your passions or sets you up well for your post MBA pursuits. switching jobs would only be advantageous if it were an increase in responsibility or scope. you already work for a top firm as you say and health care is a very onerous field to break into, so you are well positioned to add value in the classroom if you continue in this vein and then apply to a school which has a health care component. business schools like to see an intentional, purposeful career trajectory, so to the extent you can keep beating the same drum but at an increasingly more challenging capacity, you will be best positioned to impress the adcoms vs some kind of seemingly random job change. if your heart is truly set on PE or VC, the best thing to do would be to go get a job in that area, which will prove you have what it takes to break into this very elusive field and by doing so you will not leave it up to the adcom to try and infer from your simply telling them you will make it happen post MBA. we can actually be very helpful with casting your story in the best way so please consider using our services when it comes time to apply next year. applications are released as early as July for 2014 season. Best of luck.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews