gave my gmat yesterday..got 720(Q48 V41). Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?
Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude
Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.63/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)
- completing the course in may 2012
GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (expected >5)
Work Ex: None as of yet. Aiming to apply for Fall 2014.
- Gonna work as a Consultant in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 ( So can clock in 2 years work
ex. by the time of applying to colgs)
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters project.
Positions of Responsibility:
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.)
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament
Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or human resource development.
Your profile is very strong right now: you have academic excellence, leadership, and a strong GMAT score. While I do caution you that you must maintain that level of leadership in your early career, I do believe you have a chance of admission to the top programs. The big question mark is going to be in that early work experience, so be sure to take initiative and work outside of your traditional role to shape operations and strategy.
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog