Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 12:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Umm...not very sure about the protocol to be followed. Looked around a bit, gonna ape it.
@ moderators: Plz let me know if there's any other way to do this.

Hope to get some opinions, and any associated advice, about my profile:

GMAT:

Quant: 50
Verbal: 42
Overall: 760
--------------------------------
Nationality: Indian .... n part of the Indian IT Male tribe :P
Field of Interest: Finance
B-schools I'm considering applying to: ANY help would be appreciated. Very unclear about my prospects. Considering Stern, Columbia, Booth, Haas, Yale. Also, wanna know bout my chances of getting decent scholarships.
School:
Topper with 90%
Diploma in Electronics Engg:
4 year course at Mumbai University's top Engg college. Includes a year of internship in the marketing dept. with L&T Automation
90%. Gold Medallist (for highest aggregate across all 6 departments, over 8 semesters)
Department topper for 2 years

Class Rep for 4 years [class strength ~60]
Managed the department library for about 3 years: functions included purchase, cataloging and issuing of books

Class captain for cricket and football.
Won a runners-up trophy for the intra-collegiate Kabaddi tournament.
Under-grad:
Post-diploma direct admission to the 2nd year of a 4 year Bachelor of Engg in Electronics & Telecomm.
Top 3 / Top5 college in Mumbai University
63.7% [Ist class as per Uni rules]

- Led a team of 4 that won the first prize at the national-level student exhibition section of an international industrial exhibition for the Electrical & Electronics industries. Were approached, thru the college, to develop a similar system for the local plant of a manufacturing major.
- Won prizes [1st/2nd/3rd] in intra-collegiate competitions like quizzes, business simulations
Work Experience:

A. 4 years with Tata Consultancy Services [IT] [for a Enterprise Telecom vertical client]:

@ Work:
Application development, system and architecture design, requirement analysis, effort estimation, training & mentoring of new recruits etc
Techno-functional lead for a team of 10+ application developers across multiple technologies.

- ILP Top Performer Award for performance during the training program for new recruits [batch of 350+ recruits]
- Star of the Quarter Award in an account of around 300 people.
- 1st year Confirmation rating of 5. 2nd year appraisal band of A.
- Certificates of Appreciation from clients
- On-The-Spot Award for time-critical work done to head of considerable impact on client business

B. 1 year full-time internship with the marketing dept. of L&T Automation [for the Power vertical], as part of the Diploma course [sem 6 & 7]
@ Work:
- Client tender analysis
- Part of the bid-drafting team
- Cost estimation
- Negotiation with sub-vendors

Other stuff:

Crazy bout football. Played during diploma. Then got tubby :P Still play when I can get ppl together.
Metal music: headbanging for about 12 years now. Play a bit of electric guitar.

Currently:
Scored 99.1%ile in CAT 2011
1st year MBA @ a Top 10/ Top 12 B-school in India.
CFA L1 candidate [awaiting Dec 2012 results]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
As you well know, you are in a very difficult demographic group which has many more qualified candidates than spaces that most top schools allocate for Indian male candidates who work in IT. Despite the obvious difficulties, you can either throw in the towel before you even try or you can apply to the world-class programs that you listed in your profile. Your obvious trump card in your candidacy is your academic performance/GMAT score -- both of which are excellent. As your professional experience reads a lot like other Indian IT professionals, you have to work hard to have your experience sound distinguished.

As for obtaining a scholarship at the schools you are targeting, the chances are not great. Scholarships are usually available for candidates who come from under-served demographic groups or who want to pursue careers that pay significantly lower salaries and usually have some sort of humanitarian component. Of the schools you have listed, Booth, Haas and Columbia will be difficult given the profile of candidates I have seen admitted this year while Yale and Stern are more realistic. If you want to target top programs, I would recommend that you expand your list and include Michigan, UNC, UCLA and Cornell.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Being a typical IT male, you need to focus on your essays & mention about team leadership and demonstrate the same in interviews. Also, your scholarship chances depend a lot on how well you frame your application essays & during final interviews. Try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Cheers…
Neha

averylazyguy wrote:
Umm...not very sure about the protocol to be followed. Looked around a bit, gonna ape it.
@ moderators: Plz let me know if there's any other way to do this.

Hope to get some opinions, and any associated advice, about my profile:

GMAT:

Quant: 50
Verbal: 42
Overall: 760
Nationality: Indian .... n part of the Indian IT Male tribe :P
Field of Interest: Finance
B-schools I'm considering applying to: ANY help would be appreciated. Very unclear about my prospects. Considering Stern, Columbia, Booth, Haas, Yale. Also, wanna know bout my chances of getting decent scholarships.
School:
Topper with 90%
Diploma in Electronics Engg:
4 year course at Mumbai University's top Engg college. Includes a year of internship in the marketing dept. with L&T Automation
90%. Gold Medallist (for highest aggregate across all 6 departments, over 8 semesters)
Department topper for 2 years

Class Rep for 4 years [class strength ~60]
Managed the department library for about 3 years: functions included purchase, cataloging and issuing of books

Class captain for cricket and football.
Won a runners-up trophy for the intra-collegiate Kabaddi tournament.
Under-grad:
Post-diploma direct admission to the 2nd year of a 4 year Bachelor of Engg in Electronics & Telecomm.
Top 3 / Top5 college in Mumbai University
63.7% [Ist class as per Uni rules]

- Led a team of 4 that won the first prize at the national-level student exhibition section of an international industrial exhibition for the Electrical & Electronics industries. Were approached, thru the college, to develop a similar system for the local plant of a manufacturing major.
- Won prizes [1st/2nd/3rd] in intra-collegiate competitions like quizzes, business simulations
Work Experience:

A. 4 years with Tata Consultancy Services [IT] [for a Enterprise Telecom vertical client]:

@ Work:
Application development, system and architecture design, requirement analysis, effort estimation, training & mentoring of new recruits etc
Techno-functional lead for a team of 10+ application developers across multiple technologies.

- ILP Top Performer Award for performance during the training program for new recruits [batch of 350+ recruits]
- Star of the Quarter Award in an account of around 300 people.
- 1st year Confirmation rating of 5. 2nd year appraisal band of A.
- Certificates of Appreciation from clients
- On-The-Spot Award for time-critical work done to head of considerable impact on client business

B. 1 year full-time internship with the marketing dept. of L&T Automation [for the Power vertical], as part of the Diploma course [sem 6 & 7]
@ Work:
- Client tender analysis
- Part of the bid-drafting team
- Cost estimation
- Negotiation with sub-vendors

Other stuff:

Crazy bout football. Played during diploma. Then got tubby :P Still play when I can get ppl together.
Metal music: headbanging for about 12 years now. Play a bit of electric guitar.

Currently:
Scored 99.1%ile in CAT 2011
1st year MBA @ a Top 10/ Top 12 B-school in India.
CFA L1 candidate [awaiting Dec 2012 results]

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 06:33
Thanks Kimberly n Neha :)

Do B-schools publish stats about scholarships granted, against parameters like Work-ex, GMAT scores, under-grad CGPA etc??? Is thr a 3rd party repository which holds this kinda info that'd help me gauge my chances at getting a scholarship at various B-schools?
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - GMAT 760   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 06:33