Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 12:42
Good day experts,

Please be kind enough to evaluate my profile

M 34, INDIA.

GMAT : 700 ( Q 47, V 40)

College : BITS PILANI ,
CGPA : 8.15 / 10 ( Most of the grades are good or excellent, 3 grades are fair)
Major : B.S. Nautical science( distance learning)
Year of graduation : 2006.
Mode of learning : Distance learning
As stated above I completed B.S. Nautical science through distance learning to attain a formal university B.S. degree. Although the course is a 4 year ( 8 semester course), I got a wavier of 2 semester on basis of my professional experience. I could complete the course in 3 years.

Professional qualification : Master ( FG)

Apart my formal B.S. degree, I hold Masters ( FG) licence to work on merchant ships as Master. Obtaining a Master's licence requires lot of studies, although these studies are not graded but the studies follow a standard IMO model ( United nations approved model), which requires a process of 7 to 8 years minimum and which includes lots of studies( studies which include class attendance and some very strict exams.)

Work Experience

Iam working as Captain of merchant ships, a job which requires lot of leadership skills.
Total work experience( all ranks included) : 11 years + (4 years training),
Right from being a cadet and finally to become a Captain of a ship requires a keen focus on leadership skills.
Main points
1) My core competence is in oil and gas( I have mostly worked on or commanded oil and gas ships) .
3) Worked and interacted with people from at least 40 different nations.
4) Lead teams with people from at least 20 different nations.( though all may not be included at same time)
5) A strong team player,my primary work is to motivate people and get some of the toughest work from them in most challenging conditions.
6) I am among the the first few Indian mariners to work on LNG ships and was instrumental in first successful technology transfer of LNG transportation to leading Indian National company.

Target schools for full time MBA ( order does not matter)

1) Harvard ( DREAM)
2) Stanford
3) Wharton
4) MIT / Sloan
5) Kellogs
6) Columbia
7) Chicago Booth
8) Tuck
9) NYU Stern
10) Yale
11) Haas
12) INSEAD
13) Mccombs
14) Rice/ Jones
15) Duke

( I am in the process of selecting few schools for R1 and your input will certainly be of great help)

MY USP : What I bring on table is something very unique, an experience of management of merchant ships. The job requires to manage people, trade, and budget in efficient ways to maintain high standards of safety, security and commerce ( client satisfaction).
This work is very different from the work of a typical military / naval officer or commander.
We do few of most dangerous works with out fear of being court marshaled. Such works are either can be done with military style rules and hierarchy or can be done with some very strong team play.
There are many other aspects of my job and experience that I will put in my applications and essays. The list is endless ...

My future Goals : To learn the general business management, learning that will enable me to integrate my experience and knowledge to set up a consultancy firm . This sort of consultancy will cater to oil companies, energy traders, and banks for managing and securing key elements of energy transportation.

Based on above kindly advise my chances in various listed schools

1) Strech
2) Competitive
3) Safe

P.S. : I understand my age is on higher side, but when does age has stopped us from dreaming and achieving something big.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 22

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 12:45
Hey smoothnavigator - we like your attitude re: age shouldn't stop you - but that being said, it definitely can be a major factor in the admissions process. We explain why in a bunch of posts on the EssaySnark blahg. One in particular might be especially useful: Schools that prefer "older" candidates.

But we're not saying that to deter you - anyone with an attitude like yours will do just fine! There's always a home at a great MBA program for the person who does the work and finds their fit.

You already got extensive responses from other consultants here on GMAT Club so we won't spend too much time since we'd likely just end up repeating what others have already said. Our main concerns are your educational background; we've actually had a couple Indian candidates with bachelor's degrees through correspondence courses have trouble getting into the top bschools. And your GMAT is below the average for successful Indian candidates (though not out of range, and also about average for older candidates).

In addition - maybe we've just been doing this too long - but we've worked with a handful of Indian maritime candidates too - or maybe you're one of them sneaking in to ask for our opinion again? 8-) These fellows have had a tough time articulating the need for the MBA. We're just saying that as a warning - it is a unique background, as the other consultants have said, but it also poses challenges (and it's not so unique that the schools have never seen a candidate like you before).

So there's some real risks here. We have trouble seeing how this profile will be successful at a school like Harvard - hate to be so negative and it's even unfair for us to do so with so little info, but that's the general hunch. We invite you to please prove us wrong!!!!! :-)

If you have follow-ups that we can help with beyond what you've covered elsewhere we're happy to come back and dive in.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 13:52
essaysnark wrote:
Hey smoothnavigator - we like your attitude re: age shouldn't stop you - but that being said, it definitely can be a major factor in the admissions process. We explain why in a bunch of posts on the EssaySnark blahg. One in particular might be especially useful: Schools that prefer "older" candidates.

But we're not saying that to deter you - anyone with an attitude like yours will do just fine! There's always a home at a great MBA program for the person who does the work and finds their fit.

You already got extensive responses from other consultants here on GMAT Club so we won't spend too much time since we'd likely just end up repeating what others have already said. Our main concerns are your educational background; we've actually had a couple Indian candidates with bachelor's degrees through correspondence courses have trouble getting into the top bschools. And your GMAT is below the average for successful Indian candidates (though not out of range, and also about average for older candidates).

In addition - maybe we've just been doing this too long - but we've worked with a handful of Indian maritime candidates too - or maybe you're one of them sneaking in to ask for our opinion again? 8-) These fellows have had a tough time articulating the need for the MBA. We're just saying that as a warning - it is a unique background, as the other consultants have said, but it also poses challenges (and it's not so unique that the schools have never seen a candidate like you before).

So there's some real risks here. We have trouble seeing how this profile will be successful at a school like Harvard - hate to be so negative and it's even unfair for us to do so with so little info, but that's the general hunch. We invite you to please prove us wrong!!!!! :-)

If you have follow-ups that we can help with beyond what you've covered elsewhere we're happy to come back and dive in.

EssaySnark

Wow , your post and attached links are a very clear insight.

I definitively want the reviews about the weaker sections of my profile, so that I can cover them clearly.

1) Age : Well there is no denying to this fact, but having said that I still run Marathons ( in fact I have started running for last 3 years only) and I crave to learn more both from people above and below my age.

2) Education qualification : Given my line of work, I had no other option but to go for an distance learning program. Apart from a the formal B.S. degree I do hold a Unlimited Master's License awarded on basis of international regulations( accepted globally). This licence itself requires formal training,class attendance and facing interviews. The duration of all that can be easily three to four years.

3) GMAT : I have thought a lot about it. I agree to the fact that my quant score is bad, in fact this was the quant score I got when I gave my first GMAT prep without studying at all. I really dont know how I messed up the quant section in actual GMAT .
But I do feel a 700 shows that I can handle the academic part of any MBA program, and I got this score with around 150 hours of study. This is my first attempt and the last also as I feel my application will not be handled on the basis of GMAT score alone. ( and a higher GMAT will not be much beneficial for me)

4) Do I need MBA : I feel with my goals no body else needs a MBA more than me. I believe with my experience , with the little network I will gain from a business school and with MBA from school of repute I can sell myself without any help from placement cells of B schools. I believe who else can manage a shipping division or shipping consultancy better than Ship Captain with good business education. I think a Captain with MBA can very easily bridge the missing gaps of energy transportation.
All oil majors transport both their initial and final products by ships, and for efficient management of this chain a lot of money is being spent and many times the money being spent is not in efficient and effective manner. ( I see all the time). I know these companies need people with clear vision of both sides and that is where I will fit in.

Yes I want to do school selection with much care, as I do not want to apply to a school where age is a clear cut off( barring Harvard :)).

For R1 I am shortlisting following schools ( I intend to apply to Harvard in R2 irrespective of result from R1 applications)

1) Wharton
2) Booth
3) Yale
4) Mccombs
5) ???

Basis on your experience can you advise me any subtractions or additions I shall do from this list.

P.S. : I am not any of your old customers .

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 07:26
Hi again smoothnavigator - thanks for the additional comments, it's always helpful to know where someone is coming from. On the GMAT, you're right that the 700 proves that you can handle the curriculum of a good school - that score is certainly nothing to be ashamed of! And it is only one part of the mix. But our prior comments still stand. The fact that you only tested once, and that the quant is the same as you got BEFORE all that studying, just sorta makes us think that you should give it another shot if you're really serious about this MBA thing. It's one way to communicate how you're dedicated to the process. A higher GMAT alone doesn't guarantee anything, and the current score isn't so low it would prevent you, but if someone wants to pull out all the stops.... we're just sayin' :) We won't belabor it from here though! Totally get it that the test is nothing nice and not trying to dictate your strategy. You need to proceed as you see fit.

To your goals - and first your statement that "no body else needs a MBA more than me" - well that's a little hyped up but we get your point - and we also see how that could backfire.

If your goals are such that you CANNOT PURSUE THEM WITHOUT THE MBA then there's actually an argument to be made that you're not capable or qualified to pursue the goals, that they're too ambitious or more than you can handle. We are totally taking the extreme devil's advocate position here but hopefully you see the risk with it.

What you've stated for goals is VERY ambitious (we're going with what you stated in your first post - you seem to have changed directions in the next one - which is cause for concern in a whole other direction). Whether it's pitched as the short-term goal or the long-term one, starting a consulting company is going to be a very big endeavor for you. And that's fine. The schools like ambition. But if you're coming at this with no traditional business experience, then it's going to be a hard sell to some of the adcoms. You have your work cut out for you to pitch it in the right way, to show how you're capable and ready for something this big.

It may seem like all our responses to you are to try and cut you down, and that is NOT our intent - we're just trying to help you see things as others will see them, so you can anticipate those objections and build out a pitch that covers all the bases.

Oil and gas and shipping are both on the upswing and both industries also have some challenges. It's likely you can find a great post-MBA job in one of these fields, given your industry experience. You do bring a nice assortment of features to an app to business school. The pitch is of utmost importance at many of these programs so just be sure to work out the kinks in your strategy and have clear, consistent messaging with a straightforward argument around why the MBA is necessary, and you'll have the best chance of success.

Good luck with it! Bschool is exciting stuff, love to see the motivation you've got.

EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 11:16
Hi EssaySnark,

Many thanks for providing me the feedback.

Regarding GMAT, there are couple of more complications. I have already joined back and for next few months I will travelling to various parts of world ( not confirmed which area). Right now I am in Istanbul for 3 weeks or so and then I will set my sails to other part of world. So giving GMAT is not possible for next 3 months and in Sept I will be sitting right on top of round 1.

Yes, I feel my goals are challenging, but more than that I feel they are achievable also. Yes, doing MBA is very important for my goals for following reasons

1) I will gain a tremendous amounts of knowledge and insight by doing a regular MBA, it will surely broaden my horizons and learning never hurts.

2) Doing MBA from a good school will help me to create a good network which in turn will help be get a right post- MBA job ( Hopefully, which will be suitable for my long term goals).

3) A correct job will help me to learn more complex intricacies of business that are required for my future goals and will also help me to create networks that are required to set up the type of consultancy services I want.
After all just doing an MBA and setting up a consultancy will not be a great idea ( I know there is market for such consultancies, but the market should also know me).

So all in all, yes MBA is quiet important in the entire process. I believe my plan does make some sense, and I will try to sell it across .

But will I stumble and fall, if I miss any of above 3 steps. No I might stumble , but I will not fall.
I have decent backup plans for all three steps.

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:33
Really appreciate your attitude smoothnavigator! You've got what it takes to succeed based on that alone.

But we are still worried about what we're hearing you say re: goals.

While we're certain that everything you said below is true, it's also true for pretty much everyone applying to bschool - AND, nothing you said below gives us a greater understanding of what your goals really are nor does it make us feel more confident re: the issues we floated already. We can't actually get into a full admissions consulting engagement here on the boards but we do want to encourage you to spend more time on what your goals are and how you're articulating them. These are critically important for admission to many schools.

On the GMAT - understood completely, the reality of your situation is different from most. Thanks for that clarification. We're not trying to say that it's impossible for you to make it in with the current score, and we agree that a Round 1 app does afford advantages. However, you may want to have a plan in the back of your mind for how to retake the GMAT in the Fall, in advance of Round 2 apps, in case your first attempts don't pan out.

Again, love your attitude - that counts for a lot! Good luck with everything and stay in touch, we're interested to see how things work for you.

EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 03:12
essaysnark wrote:
Really appreciate your attitude smoothnavigator! You've got what it takes to succeed based on that alone.

But we are still worried about what we're hearing you say re: goals.

While we're certain that everything you said below is true, it's also true for pretty much everyone applying to bschool - AND, nothing you said below gives us a greater understanding of what your goals really are nor does it make us feel more confident re: the issues we floated already. We can't actually get into a full admissions consulting engagement here on the boards but we do want to encourage you to spend more time on what your goals are and how you're articulating them. These are critically important for admission to many schools.

On the GMAT - understood completely, the reality of your situation is different from most. Thanks for that clarification. We're not trying to say that it's impossible for you to make it in with the current score, and we agree that a Round 1 app does afford advantages. However, you may want to have a plan in the back of your mind for how to retake the GMAT in the Fall, in advance of Round 2 apps, in case your first attempts don't pan out.

Again, love your attitude - that counts for a lot! Good luck with everything and stay in touch, we're interested to see how things work for you.

EssaySnark

Hi EssaySnark,

Thanks again for all the inputs, I will definitely re look at goals( not changing them but by articulating in a better way).
All other advises well taken, and will try to improve on all the sections you highlighted. ( including GMAT if possible).
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST GMAT 700   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2013, 03:12