Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request : GMAT = 630 : GPA =3.5/4

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation Request : GMAT = 630 : GPA =3.5/4 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 14:01
Hello team,

Just took my GMAT and got a 630, way below my expectations. Although, at times I think that I should take GMAT again, yes I am not sure if it will be fruitful as this attempt was 2nd one and it came after a dedicated 3 months effort. Also I do not have time (or energy) to retake the GMAT.

My profile is as below:
1. 8 years work-ex in Telecommunication field
2. Electrical Engg Graduate from a reputed university of Pakistan. GPA is 3.5 on a scale of 4.
3. have worked as team lead and regional manager in reputed companies.

I am planning to do MBA as i m highly interested in Managment/Entrepreneurship. Currenly I am doing a technial job and earning a good money. But I want to do MBA so that one day I can reach the level of CEO in a reputed compnay or I can start my own business.

Please help me for some of my queries

1. I know its not a good idea to apply in TOP schools with this GMAT score. Please recommend me any 2nd RANK good B Schools. I am open to studying in USA,UK , Australia and Singapore.

2. What are the best schools for Managment/Entrepreneurship.

3. As my experience is already 08 years , do I need to think on some different lines. Like should I try online MBA ? Or should I try Part Time MBA. Does these MBAs have same level as Full Time MBA.
4. Is there any relation between GMAT score and success during/afer MBA studies.

I am really confused and demotivated by GMAT result. I would be really thankful for any help.

Regards;
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile Evaluation Request : GMAT = 630 : GPA =3.5/4 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 23:16
Expert's post
I can understand your hesitation dude. If you aren't willing to retake the GMAT, that is totally fine, but you will have to accept that it reduces the appeal of your candidacy. So Tier 2 school can be a great option for you. Thankfully, you have a long and fruitful work experience with which to base yourself on.

1. I know its not a good idea to apply in TOP schools with this GMAT score. Please recommend me any 2nd RANK good B Schools. I am open to studying in USA,UK , Australia and Singapore.

There are many. The best place to start is to look at the average GMAT score of programs (there are tons of resources online for that). If a school's average GMAT is 700, it's likely too tough for you to get into. when you see schools that have an average GMAT of say, 660 or below, then that is about your range.

2. What are the best schools for Management/Entrepreneurship?

Best, shmest. Which ones are the BEST for YOU? And that you can get into? I suggest starting to look in three areas:
1. Full time programs ranked under 20-30
2. European programs (which are mostly one year)
3. EMBA programs

3. As my experience is already 08 years , do I need to think on some different lines. Like should I try online MBA ? Or should I try Part Time MBA. Does these MBAs have same level as Full Time MBA.

I don't suggest doing an online MBA. Most are just "diploma farms" and you come away with neither the knowledge, prestige or contacts of real MBA programs. Part-time programs may not be for you either, because they are only useful when you are working full time simultaneously, so you'd have to have a job in NY to go to a program in NY. What you CAN look into however, is EMBA programs and AMBA (accelerated) programs. also, in general, keep in mind European programs which are for the most part one year programs

4. Is there any relation between GMAT score and success during/afer MBA studies.

A little bit. Some companies like consulting firms do look at it. But for the most part the relationship is indirect. Meaning the GMAT influences your school, and your school influences your job.

Hope this helps!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Evaluation Request : GMAT = 630 : GPA =3.5/4   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2012, 23:16