I would be very obliged if you can provide me some feedback on my profile and if you could provide some commentary on the schools I can apply for. Location: India
750 (Q 50, V 41, AWA 6.0, IR 8.0)Academics:
Undergraduate studies: Bachelors in Engineering, Mechanical Engg, (8.95/10.00) from a non IIT university.
Graduate studies: Masters of Science, Mechanical Engg, (4.25/5.00) from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Awards: Received a "Certificate of Excellence" at NTU, Singapore for academic excellence (awarded to the top 5 in the cohort)Work Experience:
1) Worked at Bloomberg in Singapore for a period of 1 year and 10 months as a Fixed Income Specialist: I consulted with clients real time on queries about analytics available on the terminal for Fixed Income markets along with associated derivative markets as well. I also provided face-to-face, specialised training in case of more complicated demands.
2) Moved to India after leaving Singapore and joined a leading independent leasing company in India as a Business Analyst in the Finance division, which has grown at high rates (>100% p.a). I evaluated the credit-worthiness of potential business partners from a variety of industries. After a period of six months, I moved divisions to Business Development with a 40% hike in salary. I now handle business development, where I generate leads, provide research on new sectors and countries, mentor interns, analyze a sales pipeline of $600 million and also provide approaches to sales for our sales people. I am also involved with the senior management in improving the reporting processes and workflow in the entire organization (about 100 people) and have reduced sales reporting times by 50%. I have worked here for 16 months.
3) Had a period of 6 months where I could not get a job in India due to role constraints and salary constraints.Extracurricular activities:
1) While working, I teamed up with two friends of mine who were studying to set up a TEDx event. I assisted with the planning, funding and execution of the event. It is now self-sustaining and has even received mainstream media attention (admittedly, after I left the event)
2) I was part of the Student/ Faculty committee during my final year of undergraduate studies and was a conduit between the faculty and the students.
3) During my third year of undergraduate studies, I was part of a team that assisted students with aptitude tests in order to better prepare them for job interviews.
4) During my time at Bloomberg, I was an active participant with its philanthropic activities: I was part of a volunteer team from the firm for Habitat for Humanity, Indonesia.
5) I have taken up birding now, since I live close to some forests here.Target Programs:
I am looking at Booth, Kellogg, Tuck, full time MBA courses.
Backup schools: Rotman, Darden and Said.
Post MBA goals:
Because of my background in finance, I was looking at an option of going into corporate finance, via a leadership program. It offers a great blend of general management experience and finance, which is something I really want to pursue.
A decent fallback career path would be to go into funds management as it again ties closely with what I have done before at Bloomberg and my earlier days at my current firm.
I would appreciate any advice from you on the above.