Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request: Junior Military Officer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request: Junior Military Officer [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 17:30
Looking to apply Fall 2012

Nationality - Puerto Rican
Age - 25 (26 at matriculation)
GMAT - 760 (Q50, V42)
GPA - 3.54, B.S cum laude, Computer Science, Cornell School of Engineering

Work experience: 4 years at Matriculation

Spent majority of time as U.S Army Infantry Officer. Currently a Captain. Spent the majority of my time as a Platoon leader for a platoon of roughly 42 men and 10 million dollars in equipment. This included a one year tour in Iraq. Had great results. Always ranked top 5% of peer group, also used my tech skill to overhaul the mission management system for my task force (which consists of roughly 1000 soldiers and operates in the Ramadi and Fallujah area)

Rest of my time was as a student. Also graduated Army Ranger School, the "premier leadership school" in the Army, with a first time go. Roughly 30% of attendees achieve this, while roughly less than 50% graduate at all.

University Extracurriculars:

- I was a undergraduate Teaching Assistant for 200, and later a 400, level Computer Science class. Taught 2 classes a week to around 30 students covering advanced topics, etc.
- Active in a Fraternity, was elected Vice President, duties included assisting the President and running the budget
- Cadet Battalion Commander of Cornell University, and its 6 satellite schools, ROTC Program consisting of well over 100 cadets

Community Service:

- Nothing dedicated, just the occasional thing from my Frat or ROTC

I am looking at Harvard, Wharton, Duke, and Stanford. Just wanted to see your view on where my weak points are and how to address them or how to attack these applications.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: Junior Military Officer [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 17:51
You have a shot at all the schools you listed. You have the type of experience (as well as the numbers!!) that schools look for. In short, make sure you turn in an awesome application and you should be able to gain entry to at least one of the schools you listed, but seeing how sometimes luck plays a role in the application process, you may want to consider adding a few other schools in there. Your lack of extracurriculars will be a slight issue, but I wouldn't worry too mucha bout it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: Junior Military Officer [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 02:11
Hello

When aiming for top institutes abroad a score above 700 is advisable. Looking at class profile of some of the top schools you have aimed, at Columbia the students scored in the range of 680-760 in their GMAT. Similarly at Wharton’s MBA class of 2012 the students scored in the range of 650-770 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score being 720Kellogg: 80% Range of GMAT score 640 - 750 with mean score715.

So GMAT wise you are in a good position. However GMAT alone won’t determine your chances of admission. Beyond academics plays an equally important role so make sure you showcase it well.

Generally most of the applicants have a good 4-5 years of work. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 4 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays.

Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature. Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application. Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.”

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: Junior Military Officer   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2011, 02:11