Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - Low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 06:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Can you please comment on my profile and chances for admission.

Stats:
White male
4.5 years work experience
GMAT 1 - 610
GMAT 2 - 690
Overall GPA - 2.95
Major GPA - 3.57
Last 84 hours GPA - 3.45
BS in Construction Management from a state school

Education:
I really struggle in my first 2 years of college. Earning 4 D's and 2 F's in the easiest classes. This was completely due to my immaturity. After receiving my final grades the semester I failed two classes, I had a realization that either I needed to straighten up my grades and actually graduate or go find full time employment. My parents told me to find employment because they would not support me any longer because of my poor grades. So for my final 6 semesters of school I worked full time while taking a full time class load to pay for school. I managed to achieve a 3.45 GPA for the last 84 hours of classes.

Work Experience:
4.5 years of experience with a major oil and gas company working as a construction representative. As a construction rep I have managed offshore construction projects such as the installation of caissons/platforms ranging from $3-8 million and the structural repairs of damaged structures. I have also managed the compliance underwater inspection program which consist of planning, scheduling, and coordinating the program to comply with government standards.

Extra-Curricular:
- Participate in companies local area flag football team
- Serve food to hungry college students 1 Sunday a month
- Volunteer for Junior Achievement to teach students about personal finances
- Rebuilding America when I have time

Post-MBA goals:
To get into a finance career track with a major oil and gas company.

Schools:
Target: Vanderbilt, Indiana, UNC
Safety: Not sure if I would have any based on my trascript

My top choice would be Vanderbilt based on location.

Would I stand any chance with the schools listed above? Are there any other schools that I should consider?

Thank you for any comments.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Low GPA [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 18:44
Expert's post
tesh,

First, let me say that I chuckled when I first read "Rebuilding America when I have time" because I glanced quickly and didn't recognize it as an organization, but rather as an activity. Kind of a hilarious resume highlight: "When I have time, I like to you know, rebuild America." Or maybe that is what you meant? I assume we're talking about the energy coalition, but either way, enjoyed that.

Anyway, I digress.

You are probably right that you don't have any true "safety" schools, but frankly, that is true of many candidates. Most people have programs that are right for their goals and the time in their life and not every school should fit that profile. I think you could look at a few finance schools like Boston College and round out your "lower tier" list, BUT I also think you should take a look at some higher ranked schools like Texas, Booth, Ross, and Haas. Yes, your GPA is on the low side, but your story is great, it is better to have struggled early rather than late, and as long as you can show the "lightbulb coming on" (which you can), you can cover the thematic sin of lack of maturity. You have to apply to more schools when you have a low GPA, but as long as its not sub 2.7 (too much to swallow for the schools' average), you can get people to take a real look. You have good and interesting experience, a solid GMAT score, and what sounds like some real drive.

We have a good track record with students like yourself - low GPA is probably one of our biggest strengths. So if you want a consultation, be sure to PM.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton