Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request (Military, GMAT 640 Q35 V42)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request (Military, GMAT 640 Q35 V42) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 19:19
Hi, I was hoping you could assess my chances for the following schools for R2 class of 2016:

1. McCombs
2. Kenan-Flagler
3. Marshall
4. Goizueta
5. Owen
6. Babcock

GMAT: 640 Q35 V42 (first sitting...my quant was never this low in practice tests, but scores were consistently higher for verbal.)

Undergrad: B.A. Economics, UC Berkeley, GPA 3.6 (3.9 at a community college, 3.3 in upper division work at Cal.)

Work Experience: 4 years as a company grade officer in the US Marine Corps. Served as a platoon commander and executive officer in non-infantry combat arms. Deployed to Afghanistan once. Some documentation of being on the higher end performance-wise, but nothing too crazy. I anticipate receiving an achievement medal at the end of my tour and am trying to work out how I can reference this in applications even though it won't be officially awarded until the day I get out. I also paid my way through school working as a logger in Northern California every summer in high school and college, but I'm not sure how much mileage one can get out of that kind of narrative at this level.

Goals: supply chain/operations management. Open to all forms of general management, though.

I know the GMAT is holding me back the most, but I consider it water under the bridge as far as R2 goes. I'm definitely not quant material, but I'm hoping my undergrad background shows that I'm not completely inept when it comes to math. Related to that, should I take advantage of the additional essays to address this weakness in my profile? I have a deep, dark fear of going 0/6 and having to figure my post-Marine Corps life out on the fly, so I'd appreciate any evaluation of my chances.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Military, GMAT 640 Q35 V42) [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2013, 11:12
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for your post. So you are aiming for R2 deadlines, coming up quickly, if I'm understanding all correctly, so you'll def have the 640 GMAT. On the lower side for the schools you mentioned but wouldn't rule you out entirely with a great application. Marshall might be the bigger stretch of those on the list. Generally military experience can be a plus-- and certainly being a marine says a lot about your character and dedication and work ethic usually (at least that is the preconception). You would likely have some strong leadership and teamwork experiences to draw from in your essays, and subsequently in the classroom, and likely international experiences as well. The challenges coming from the military are a) ensuring you can talk about what you've gained from your experiences that will be relevant in b-school (and your career), and b) ensuring you have a clear explanation of your goals and WHY you want an MBA. As long as you manage those 2 facets well, you would likely be in good shape.

Yes you can briefly touch on the score in the optional essay if you feel it's not entirely reflective of your ability to excel in b-school. And in terms of other experiences and awards, it sounds like they will all add dimension to your profile so I'd include where you can.

Let us know what other q's you have, and keep us posted! Good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php