Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Indian Male

Work Experience : 27 Months as on 1st December 2012 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities : Procurement Engineer - Involves technical as well as commercial responsibilities.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 (AWA & IR still awaited. Expect to get a good score in AWA. Not so much in IR. Hopefully not worse than a 4)

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
Community service is also 0. I have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

I would also like to know whether Wharton, Yale and IMD would be too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
/

Originally posted by towski on 16 Nov 2012, 12:49.
Last edited by towski on 06 Nov 2014, 14:06, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi MacFauz,

What would you like to do after MBA? Long-term goals?

Being instrumental in getting roads laid is quite a significant contribution. And you also have a great GMAT score.

If you can provide examples of leadership capability through professional and personal accomplishments, Yale and IMD could be match schools for you. Wharton would be more competitive, but I would encourage you to apply if you think the school is a good fit for you.

I get the sense that you are not feeling very confident. You have some great stregths, so you should stretch beyond the intital three target schools you listed.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

If you list this post, give it KUDOS!

MacFauz wrote:
Indian Male

Work Experience : 27 Months as on 1st December 2012 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities : Procurement Engineer - Involves technical as well as commercial responsibilities.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 (AWA & IR still awaited. Expect to get a good score in AWA. Not so much in IR. Hopefully not worse than a 4)

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
Community service is also 0. I have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

I would also like to know whether Wharton, Yale and IMD would be too much of a stretch.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi MacFauz,

Being instrumental in getting roads laid is quite a significant contribution. And you also have a great GMAT score.

If you can provide examples of leadership capability through professional and personal accomplishments, Yale and IMD could be match schools for you. Wharton would be more competitive, but I would encourage you to apply if you think the school is a good fit for you.

I get the sense that you are not feeling very confident. You have some great stregths, so you should stretch beyond the intital three target schools you listed.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

MacFauz wrote:
Indian Male

GMAT Score:

Undergrad Info:

Extra-Curricular

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

Thanks Christine.... The reason for my low confidence is mainly that I've got less than 3 years of work experience and looking at the averages for many esteemed business schools, I find it them be ranging from 3-8 with people aged between 25-30 on average. After my MBA, I would like to work in some established MNC preferably A supply chain management related job in a mechanical engineering related company and then eventually set up my own business. Could you suggest a few schools which would fit me best?... Thank you.. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
770 GMAT (50Q,45V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 in Philosophy from William and Mary (graduated 2007)

Professional Certifications: PMP (Project Management Professional)

Previous work experience includes founding a company with a high school friend, volunteering in Ghana, working for 2 different U.S. Senators on capital hill (intern and then staff assistant - both low level jobs), Currently Director of Project Management and Operations at a solar energy development and finance Company:

Joined the current company pre-funding 3 years ago as an intern (promoted to Operations Analyst, then Project Manager, then Senior Project Manager, and finally to Director of Project Management and Operations). Currently report directly to the CEO and have 3 direct reports (fewer than 15 people total in the company). Responsible for solar project technical review, design and engineering, materials procurement, and project and asset management. I've overseen technical evaluation of over 500MW of project pipeline (includes redesigning projects to lower installation costs, and increase energy harvest), project managed over 2 MW and over see asset management of all projects constructed, Also consulting as a solar subject matter expert for the Cornell tech campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Goals: move to senior management,and then c-level in a renewable energy/clean tech company. Eventually found my own company.

I'd like to study entrepreneurship, and am going to school both to make connections and improve my skill sets aspects of business that I'd don't get a whole lot of exposure to (mostly finance). Currently looking at
Stanford
Harvard
MIT
Penn
Chicago
Northwestern

but would also like suggestions for other top schools that have top entrepreneurship programs.

I should also add INSEAD and London School of Business on my list. Would love to get an MBA from a top international school, though the foreign language requirement is somewhat prohibitive (I have 4 years of french but 2 non 'A' grades in high school, both of them French, and one of them a D)

Originally posted by bradenpan on 17 Nov 2012, 15:22.
Last edited by bradenpan on 18 Nov 2012, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Great to see that you are planning ahead. Since you don't have many years of work experience, make sure you seek out opportunities at work to take on more responsibilities and manage or lead projects.

For the extracurricular activities, I would try to focus on one area you're passionate about, and also seek out ways to demonstrate leadership potential.

Excellent GPAs & GRE scores. You must have great analytical skills. You're experience and focus within a specific industry sector should be an advantage when it comes time to transition to strategy consulting. Consulting clients don't want generalists, they prefer consultants with deep indutry sector knowledge.

In terms of school selection, you may want to consider and research Columbia and Cornell as well. For us to help you properly select schools to apply to, we would need to have in-depth discussion with you to better understand your experience and strengths.

We enjoy providing career coaching to people who are planning to apply to a top business school in the future. If you like to discuss specifics of how you can position yourself for leadership opportunities at work and within volunteer organization, please feel free to email me.

Good luck!

Christine Lin
clin@marveladmissions.com

If you like this post, give it KUDOS!

towski wrote:
Hello!

I'd appreciate any advice that you might have for me based on my profile. I should mention that I'm not applying in 2012-2013, but waiting until next year (2013-2014), so I will have 3 years of work experience at matriculation.

Full-time work experience: United Airlines, Revenue Management Analyst (July 2011-present), Senior Analyst (July 2012-present)

GMAT: 690 (88%) - Q:44 (66%), V:40 (89%), AWA:5 (67%), IR: 8 (92%)
*Plan to retake the GMAT. ~720 is expected

GRE: Q:168 (97%), V:161 (86%), AW:4.5 (73%)

Undergraduate school: DePaul, B.A. Marketing & Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2009, GPA: 3.87 w/ Honors

Grad school #1: Illinois, M.S. Recreation Sport & Tourism, 2011, GPA: 3.92

Grad school #2: Northwestern, M.S. Predictive Analytics (part-time), 2014 (expected), GPA: 4.0 thus far

Extra-curriculars: Triathlon team member in grad school (2 yrs), Teaching assistant in grad school (1 yr), Research assistant (psych) in undergrad (8 months), math tutor at Children's Memorial Hospital (1 yr), club volleyball player (3 years), charity marathon runner (6 months), youth program leader for Chicago Cares (3 months now), running coach for Chicago Runner's Association (2 months now), week-long volunteer trip to teach English in Peru in December, professional video game player (4 yrs), retail sales associate (5 years)

Target programs: Harvard and Stanford; after that, Wharton, MIT, Berkeley, and Dartmouth; any other suggestions?

Post-MBA goal: Strategy consulting in the service sector (short-term); CEO of service provider - retailer preferred (long-term)

Race: White

If there's anything that I can do to improve my candidacy, please let me know.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

It would help your candidacy if you have shown leadership potentials at work through leading projects or manage teams.

Your initital list of schools are all in Asia. Do you have any preference in where you want to go to school, and where in the world you like to work after MBA? Base on your career goals, you may want to look into Columbia, MIT, and Michigan Ross, in addition to IMD and Yale you mentioned previously. I don't feel like I know you well enough to know what schools really fit you best. So please take my recommendation as just another reference point.

Please feel free to set up a time to chat if you have further questions.

Thanks.

Christine Lin

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS.

MacFauz wrote:
MarvelAdmissions wrote:
Hi MacFauz,

Good luck!

Christine Lin

MacFauz wrote:
Indian Male

GMAT Score:

Undergrad Info:

Extra-Curricular

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

Thanks Christine.... The reason for my low confidence is mainly that I've got less than 3 years of work experience and looking at the averages for many esteemed business schools, I find it them be ranging from 3-8 with people aged between 25-30 on average. After my MBA, I would like to work in some established MNC preferably A supply chain management related job in a mechanical engineering related company and then eventually set up my own business. Could you suggest a few schools which would fit me best?... Thank you.. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Paul - thanks for the comments and suggestions.

One thing to note - I updated my graduation year to the correct year: 2007. Apparently I was a little more drained than I realized yesterday.

Any suggestions on how to address the GPA? I really have no excuse for how low it is (or no valid excuse, it was a function of apathy on my part - I didn't attend class nearly as often as I should have). I did get a 3.3 in my major, and my grades in all of my upper level classes in my major are As, if that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Braden,

Your progression at the current firm, prior experience founding a company, volunteering at Ghana, working w U.S. senators, and high GMAT score all make you a very strong candidate for the top schools.

Please don't be discouraged by the language requirement at London Business School and INSEAD. With your four years of high school french, you should be able to pass the requirement, perhaps with a little bit of refresher and tutoring. I've never heard of anyone not graduating due to inability to meet the language requirement.

I got my MBA from London Business School, and I think you will benefit greatly from the strategy and entrepreneurship teaching at London Business School, as well as the network and support for entreprenuers. Additionally, LBS's strength in finance would help round up your skills.

check out link below for more info

https://www.london.edu/videoandaudio/fac ... rship.html

In expressing your career aspirations, make sure you can connect them to how you see yourself contribute to the society/your community, etc. Should be pretty easy given your area of focus in renewable energy/clean tech.

Good luck to you! Please feel free to email me if you have further questions.

Christine Lin

bradenpan wrote:
770 GMAT (50Q,45V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 in Philosophy from William and Mary (graduated 2007)

Professional Certifications: PMP (Project Management Professional)

Previous work experience includes founding a company with a high school friend, volunteering in Ghana, working for 2 different U.S. Senators on capital hill (intern and then staff assistant - both low level jobs), Currently Director of Project Management and Operations at a solar energy development and finance Company:

Joined the current company pre-funding 3 years ago as an intern (promoted to Operations Analyst, then Project Manager, then Senior Project Manager, and finally to Director of Project Management and Operations). Currently report directly to the CEO and have 3 direct reports (fewer than 15 people total in the company). Responsible for solar project technical review, design and engineering, materials procurement, and project and asset management. I've overseen technical evaluation of over 500MW of project pipeline (includes redesigning projects to lower installation costs, and increase energy harvest), project managed over 2 MW and over see asset management of all projects constructed, Also consulting as a solar subject matter expert for the Cornell tech campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Goals: move to senior management,and then c-level in a renewable energy/clean tech company. Eventually found my own company.

I'd like to study entrepreneurship, and am going to school both to make connections and improve my skill sets aspects of business that I'd don't get a whole lot of exposure to (mostly finance). Currently looking at
Stanford
Harvard
MIT
Penn
Chicago
Northwestern

but would also like suggestions for other top schools that have top entrepreneurship programs.

I should also add INSEAD and London School of Business on my list. Would love to get an MBA from a top international school, though the foreign language requirement is somewhat prohibitive (I have 4 years of french but 2 non 'A' grades in high school, both of them French, and one of them a D)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Christine,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I realized that people seem to like asking questions regarding their chances of getting into various business schools. And though I appreciate the information provided so far, proper school selection require much more in-depth discussion regarding your leadership experience, your strengths, what you are passionate about, etc.

School selection is part of the service we offer. If you are interested in finding out how we can help improve your candidacy, please feel free to reach out for a complimentary consultation.

Thank you.

Christine Lin

Vips0000 wrote:
Hi Christine,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT Date: 10-26-2012
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi..
Im santhosh,
I gave a GMAT on oct 26th
my score was
Overall: 580
Quants: 47
Verbal: 23

Working Experience:
Period: June 2011 till present
Company: IMS Learning Resources Pvt Ltd
Designation: Junior Executive – Marketing(from June 2011 to July 2012) / Senior Executive – Marketing (from August 2012 till present)
Some of my achievements are

1. Got Promotion from Junior Executive- Marketing to Senior Executive- Marketing within a year.
2. Implemented a new appreciated and successful project named as " The Known for the Unknown" . This project was started with a collaboration with TAHDCO, an organisation which is led by Tamil Nadu Government for SC/ST people. Though this project was undertaken during the year 2009-2010 was a fiasco , this year made new targets and new innovative ideas to make it a success with my team.
3. Got the most honorary award of our company "IMS best employee of the year 2011-2012" during October 2012 for the success in the project which was mentioned above and also for manipulating and making the team as an organized and as a successful team.

Academic:
School:
During my school i was the school 4th rank during my final public examinations
Cut-off Score: 259.25/300
-> Was the school green house captain
-> Won 3rd prize in District level Quiz competition.
-> Won prize in Table Tennis.

College:
UG: BE. CSE
My GPA according to INDIAN system is 6.1/10
->Won the "TCS Best project award of the year" for my successful project.
->was the placement representative during my 3rd year.
-> was placement Co-ordinator during my final year.

Special Interests:
-> Love to train people.
-> Was a part time faculty , teaching Quantitative ability for the students who wished to do CAT and MAT ( entrance exams in INDIA ) during my college final year.
-> Had a special interest in helping poor people attain their required education . So with the help of TAHDCO implemented a special project for the poor students who wished to carry out their Higher education.

My Negative is two things. My college marks , my total work experience years and Gmat score.
My positives are all the remaining.

I know the best thing to do now is to prepare for GMAT again and give it another shot. But i dont want to. i need to go for my MBA b sept 2013 becoz of some family issues.
Please do guide me in choosing colleges. Im targeting colleges mostly in US.
If possible please do tel me the colleges in three possibilities
1. Clear shot colleges(which i can easily get a call):
2.Colleges which can give a call for my mark and profile:
3. Colleges which are difficult to get into with my score but can give a shot:

Thank you..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Appreciate if you can have a look at the below profile:

Age 24, Male, Indian

Academics:
Xth Grade -95.2% ( Overall)
XIIth Grade - 89.2%
Chemical Engineering Degree at BITS PILANI , Rajasthan India.
Overall GPA: 8.92/10 ( GPA in Core Chemical Courses 9.8/10)
GMAT - 710 ( Q49, V36, AWA 5 , IR 4)
CFA Institute, USA Level 3 Canditate

Work Experience:

5 months ( current role) as a Consultant , Business Development in a $5 million turnover family owned food processing business.

•Managing roles in Business Development, Office Administration, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting and internal audit and control
•Created SOPs and Documented Procedures for all Critical Food Safety Related Activities.
•Liasonsing with Food regulatory bodies in India to ensure compliance

2 yrs and 3 months as Risk Analyst at Credit Suisse, Mumbai.

• Risk Analysis, reporting and potential exposure checks for Hedge Fund clients.
• Enhanced the accuracy and quality of underlying data for Prime Services risk analytics by developing and implementing multiple data controls.
• Contributed to the development and execution of Equity Cross Margining Platform that benefited many clients by offering
competitive margins across Prime Brokerage, Swap and Listed Derivatives Platform.
• Coded scenarios and stresses in a third party real time risk analytics software for stress based
custom margining for certain Hedge Fund Clients.

INTERN as Business Analyst at Modelytics India Pvt. Ltd.
• Conducted a case study on credit card pricing optimization
• Built predictive models and pricing optimisation schemes using statistical techniques by understanding the clients' business problems and defining an analytical approach to solving them

Extra Curricular Activities
• Active role in Credit Suisse Business Analyst recruitment program from top 1% engineering colleges in India
• Have received a formal training in dance and awarded BEST DANCER in ‘LATINA FIESTA 2007’, a national level competition in dance categories
Lambada, Salsa and Merengue.
• Held the Joint Coordinator position of Department Of Theatre, responsible for managing all the major stage events, interacting with teams, publicity, promotion and budget management of events in OASIS, the second biggest student cultural festival of INDIA
• Cultural Secretary of a regional association in College,a group of 400 members

I plan to do an MBA and then come back and take over the family business . A course that emphasizes leadership and entrepreneurship will suit my needs greatly .Once I take over the business I would need to be in a position to lead a team of about 100-200 people . Also since my current business is manufacturing
based , a school with a strong operations department will be a better fit for me.

Target Schools :
MIT Sloan, ( famous for operations management, good balance between theory and real life applications)
Tepper,
Kellogg ( operations focussed, dynamic curriculum)
Insead,
LBS,
ISB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Santhosh,

We help candidates properly select schools as part of our service. And though we could just list a few schools based on the information provided, you may be able to come up with a better list on your own with some research.

We would be happy to talk to you to learn more about your leadership potential, shorrt-term and long-term career goals if you are interested. If you would like a complimentary consultation, please use the link https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

santhoshnebalan wrote:
Hi..
Im santhosh,
I gave a GMAT on oct 26th
my score was
Overall: 580
Quants: 47
Verbal: 23

Working Experience:
Period: June 2011 till present
Company: IMS Learning Resources Pvt Ltd
Designation: Junior Executive – Marketing(from June 2011 to July 2012) / Senior Executive – Marketing (from August 2012 till present)
Some of my achievements are

1. Got Promotion from Junior Executive- Marketing to Senior Executive- Marketing within a year.
2. Implemented a new appreciated and successful project named as " The Known for the Unknown" . This project was started with a collaboration with TAHDCO, an organisation which is led by Tamil Nadu Government for SC/ST people. Though this project was undertaken during the year 2009-2010 was a fiasco , this year made new targets and new innovative ideas to make it a success with my team.
3. Got the most honorary award of our company "IMS best employee of the year 2011-2012" during October 2012 for the success in the project which was mentioned above and also for manipulating and making the team as an organized and as a successful team.

Academic:
School:
During my school i was the school 4th rank during my final public examinations
Cut-off Score: 259.25/300
-> Was the school green house captain
-> Won 3rd prize in District level Quiz competition.
-> Won prize in Table Tennis.

College:
UG: BE. CSE
My GPA according to INDIAN system is 6.1/10
->Won the "TCS Best project award of the year" for my successful project.
->was the placement representative during my 3rd year.
-> was placement Co-ordinator during my final year.

Special Interests:
-> Love to train people.
-> Was a part time faculty , teaching Quantitative ability for the students who wished to do CAT and MAT ( entrance exams in INDIA ) during my college final year.
-> Had a special interest in helping poor people attain their required education . So with the help of TAHDCO implemented a special project for the poor students who wished to carry out their Higher education.

My Negative is two things. My college marks , my total work experience years and Gmat score.
My positives are all the remaining.

I know the best thing to do now is to prepare for GMAT again and give it another shot. But i dont want to. i need to go for my MBA b sept 2013 becoz of some family issues.
Please do guide me in choosing colleges. Im targeting colleges mostly in US.
If possible please do tel me the colleges in three possibilities
1. Clear shot colleges(which i can easily get a call):
2.Colleges which can give a call for my mark and profile:
3. Colleges which are difficult to get into with my score but can give a shot:

Thank you..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I am a recent grad from Murray State University with BS in Finance and a CGPA of 3.54/4. I also hold an Associates degree in Hotel Management from India (not a top school) and also have around 2.5 years work experience in the field of hospitality in India. I have worked with J W Marriott hotels and Jet Airways. I have not taken my GMAT yet but expect to score between 550-600 in the exam. I have also been volunteering at a non-profit organisation for a few months now.

I am looking to pursue MBA in the field of Finance. Any idea what kind of MBA schools am I likely to get accepted in? Your inputs will be much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Gmatrockss,

You got lots of great things going for you. Kudos on your Latin dancing :) When are you planning on applying?

Some great schools on your target list. You may want to look into Ross & Tuck as well, and then try to narrow the list to 5-6 schools.

London Business School currently has a very active family business club.

You will have to demonstrate leadership capabilities through your essays.

If you are interested in assistance with your application, please feel free to contact us for a complimentary consultation. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine Lin

gmatrockss wrote:
Appreciate if you can have a look at the below profile:

Age 24, Male, Indian

Academics:
Xth Grade -95.2% ( Overall)
XIIth Grade - 89.2%
Chemical Engineering Degree at BITS PILANI , Rajasthan India.
Overall GPA: 8.92/10 ( GPA in Core Chemical Courses 9.8/10)
GMAT - 710 ( Q49, V36, AWA 5 , IR 4)
CFA Institute, USA Level 3 Canditate

Work Experience:

5 months ( current role) as a Consultant , Business Development in a $5 million turnover family owned food processing business.

•Managing roles in Business Development, Office Administration, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting and internal audit and control
•Created SOPs and Documented Procedures for all Critical Food Safety Related Activities.
•Liasonsing with Food regulatory bodies in India to ensure compliance

2 yrs and 3 months as Risk Analyst at Credit Suisse, Mumbai.

• Risk Analysis, reporting and potential exposure checks for Hedge Fund clients.
• Enhanced the accuracy and quality of underlying data for Prime Services risk analytics by developing and implementing multiple data controls.
• Contributed to the development and execution of Equity Cross Margining Platform that benefited many clients by offering
competitive margins across Prime Brokerage, Swap and Listed Derivatives Platform.
• Coded scenarios and stresses in a third party real time risk analytics software for stress based
custom margining for certain Hedge Fund Clients.

INTERN as Business Analyst at Modelytics India Pvt. Ltd.
• Conducted a case study on credit card pricing optimization
• Built predictive models and pricing optimisation schemes using statistical techniques by understanding the clients' business problems and defining an analytical approach to solving them

Extra Curricular Activities
• Active role in Credit Suisse Business Analyst recruitment program from top 1% engineering colleges in India
• Have received a formal training in dance and awarded BEST DANCER in ‘LATINA FIESTA 2007’, a national level competition in dance categories
Lambada, Salsa and Merengue.
• Held the Joint Coordinator position of Department Of Theatre, responsible for managing all the major stage events, interacting with teams, publicity, promotion and budget management of events in OASIS, the second biggest student cultural festival of INDIA
• Cultural Secretary of a regional association in College,a group of 400 members

I plan to do an MBA and then come back and take over the family business . A course that emphasizes leadership and entrepreneurship will suit my needs greatly .Once I take over the business I would need to be in a position to lead a team of about 100-200 people . Also since my current business is manufacturing
based , a school with a strong operations department will be a better fit for me.

Target Schools :
MIT Sloan, ( famous for operations management, good balance between theory and real life applications)
Tepper,
Kellogg ( operations focussed, dynamic curriculum)
Insead,
LBS,
ISB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Karantiwari,

When are you planning on applying to business school?

We would also need more information regarding your work experience - roles & responsibilities, accomplishments. And we would need to have a discussion with you regarding soft skills, leadership capabilities, etc to properly determine appropriate schools for you.

If you are interested in a complimentary consultation, please feel free to contact us at https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thanks.

Christine

karantiwari wrote:
Hello,

I am a recent grad from Murray State University with BS in Finance and a CGPA of 3.54/4. I also hold an Associates degree in Hotel Management from India (not a top school) and also have around 2.5 years work experience in the field of hospitality in India. I have worked with J W Marriott hotels and Jet Airways. I have not taken my GMAT yet but expect to score between 550-600 in the exam. I have also been volunteering at a non-profit organisation for a few months now.

I am looking to pursue MBA in the field of Finance. Any idea what kind of MBA schools am I likely to get accepted in? Your inputs will be much appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15