Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request– Need help on re-applying or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request– Need help on re-applying or not? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 13:23
Hi,

I was applying to four schools for Fall 2012, Johnson, Kelley, Kenan-Flagler, Marshall. I am being dinged for Kelley and Kenan-Flagler so far while Johnson placed me on waitlist without the interview and nothing from Marshall yet.
All of them were applied in R2 and now I am panic whether I should prepare for re-apply next year.

My latest GMAT score was 640 (Q47, V 30, AWA 5.5) and that was the third time I took it. The previous GMAT was 620 (Q49, V25, AWA 4.5).

Working experience is: 2 years as a licensed banker with one of the largest retail bank in the US, 1 year as a stock broker with a mid-size local firm. Also, a comprehensive accounting contract experience for 1 year in San Francisco. Total years of experience are 4 years. In addition, received a promotion to become a registered client associate within the investment department back in Nov, majority assisting financial advisors on analysis report generation and client inquiry, not sure if this would help.

Academic: I was graduated from University of Arizona in the US as finance major in 2007, not an ivy school with a major GPA of 3.23/4.00.

Activities post-graduate: Being volunteer with different projects organized by the company, e.g., adopt-a-family, helping Salvation Army assist foster children, homeless family,etc.

Background: Chinese American, was born and raised in Hong Kong. Planning to re-take CFA level 1 in December this year. Short-term goal post-graduate plans to work in I-Bank as securities analyst for emerging market in the East Coast. Long-term goal plans to become entrepreneur for an advisory/consulting firm in HK. (Very typical and common goal)

I have updated with Johnson (Cornell) that additional recommendation will be provided no later than the first week of April and an updated resume will be sent with my promotion. Plan to re-take the GMAT, but no really ready to exceed 640 yet.

My question is:
1. Should I re-take the GMAT anyways?
2. Should I withdraw my rest of applications for this year? (seems like Johnson and Marshall are harder to get in compare to Kelley and KF)
3. If I do re-apply next year for the same schools, would they favor in re-applicants?
4. Should I consider consulting advice for schools? (Those are very EXPENSIVE)
5. If re-applying, what other programs should I consider?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Request– Need help on re-applying or not? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 15:27
Expert's post
1. Should I re-take the GMAT anyways?

I think you should give serious consideration to retaking the GMAT. A score at least in the high 600's would make you a much more attractive candidate. Considering that your work experience while certainly adequate and diverse for b-school applications, will most likely not be considered progressively responsible, you need as good a GMAT score as you can get to make an impression.

2. Should I withdraw my rest of applications for this year? (seems like Johnson and Marshall are harder to get in compare to Kelley and KF).

i definitely would not withdraw my application. Some schools would consider you a reapplicant even if you did this, and with applications down this year across the board, you could still get a call from one of your target schools. i even heard of some schools going back and admitting students off their DECLINE list!

3. If I do re-apply next year for the same schools, would they favor in re-applicants?

Reapplicants are not favored, nor are they biased against. It's all about what you will do between now and reapplication time to demonstrate a difference in last year and this year.

4. Should I consider consulting advice for schools? (Those are very EXPENSIVE)

I am obviously biased, but have found it to be well worth the expense to use a consultant, particularly if you feel you are having trouble getting the attention of the adcoms. You wouldn't go to court without a lawyer, and many more applicants are seeking advice on how to best position themselves.

5. If re-applying, what other programs should I consider?

Maybe take a look at Emory, TX, Olin and McDonough as alternatives. There is no shortage of good schools in the top 25 that could work for someone with solid industry experience like yourself.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews