Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - older applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation Request - older applicant [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 10:10
Hello,

I am seeking a profile evaluation for myself. Below are the pertinent details. Thanks in advance for your time.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I have close to 11 years work experience in Information Technology in the Healthcare domain. This includes 4 years in India and 7 years in USA with clients such as Aetna, Express Scripts and Horizon BCBS.
For the first 9 years, I was a part of Infosys Ltd and quit as a project manager; during this time I have had an opportunity to manage teams working on IT projects (Team size 12 - 15 people) to oversee all aspects of the project lifecycle, respond to client proposals, business development and pre-sales support.
The last two years of my experience was with Cognizant Solutions Ltd in the capacity of Manager-consulting. My responsibilities included managing a team of consultants, who were responsible for business process consulting and also managing the client-vendor relationship for Cognizant.
I have worked with diverse teams in global delivery model and managed teams based out of India as well as US.
I have been on a break for the last year and a half (had a baby and been on break since March 2013). I am afraid how this will impact my applications.

2) Your GMAT.
GMAT2 740 Over all (Q50, V 40, I.R 7 and AWA 6)
GMAT1 680 Overall (Q45, V 40, I.R 2 and AWA 5.5)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
I did my Bachelors of Engineering in Electronics and Telecommunications from K.J.Somaiya College Of Engineering (Mumbai University, India). The university doesn't follow GPA, but I finished my B.E in Honors (distinction) and stood 13th in Electronics and Telecommunications in all of Mumbai University. I was also a J.R.D Tata and Ratan Tata scholar for academic performance for all four years of my engineering studies.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
College - Managed the activities for the Electronics Engineering Students Association. This association was responsible for conducting technical seminars and workshops.
Post College - Anchored Knowledge Management initiatives for project (won the best knowledge management award) : Involved ensuring certifications of team members, managing and initiating creation of reusable artifacts and knowledge sharing initiatives.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
Americas Health Insurance Primer - Part A, B and Managed Care

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.
Very interested in the MIT Sloan Fellow program and Rottman. Please advise if I do stand a chance.
I am also interested in your suggestions for other one-year programs. I am open to USA, Canada and Singapore locations.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
Looking to start school in 2015. In process of applying for IIM-A

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Would like to stay in the same field and continue in IT consulting. Not looking for a career change.

Thanks again for your time.
Meera
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - older applicant [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 06:26
Expert's post
Hello,

You do fall in the “older applicant” category. That said, your work experience appears strong (and interesting), as does your academic record. I'd consider you a viable applicant for MBA programs that welcome more experienced applicants.

The recent time off could be a slight negative factor – being employed as an applicant is always better than being unemployed. But your time off isn’t a lot (you haven’t been away from the workforce for a long time), and adcoms are somewhat accommodating to women precisely because of lifestyle factors such as yours – parenthood. They realize that if they are to admit their desired number/proportion of women, they have to be a bit flexible.

I think your 2 target programs are excellent choices – albeit quite different. The MIT SF adcom is usually quite willing to have a preliminary chat and review your resume to give you an initial indication of your appropriateness for the program, so I suggest contacting them if you haven't yet. You might also look at Cornell Johnson’s 1-year program and Kellogg’s 1-year program. These two MBA programs also tend to favor more experienced, seasoned applicants and are great for consulting, which also makes you a good fit.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - older applicant [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 15:40
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for contacting me again. Yes, one month would be sufficient time to create a strong application, assuming you're able to devote meaningful time to it, and it seems like you would be able to. I'm available and would be able to work with you to meet that deadline.

I would consider Insead a reasonable reach -- overall you have some significant strengths as an applicant for Insead, and I believe you'd have a reasonable shot with a compelling application. Feel free to contact me at cindyt@accepted.com if you'd like to discuss possibly working together.

And either way, best wishes!

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog