Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Private Equity
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 13:00
GMAT: 720 (assume this score for now, but please advise if a higher score would add anything - I haven't taken the official exam yet)
Undergrad GPA: 3.4 overall, but significant trend higher once in major courses (3.8 in double major of accounting & corporate finance) - grades in all quant classes are strong
Undergrad Institution: Average public school in the Midwest
Work Experience: 2 years w/Big Four accounting firms (1 of which was M&A due diligence) out of undergrad; 2.5 years of private equity experience (3.5 at matriculation), including a board seat at one portfolio company
EC Activities: Pretty light on this end w/work hours and being married!
Gender, etc.: White male (seems unfortunate for b-school...)

I won't go to b-school unless I get into a top 7 program, as my employer would prefer that I stay at the firm. That said, any suggestions or feedback on odds of admittance at the top schools (forget Stanford, I think they're looking for a different type)?

Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 22:39
You might as well give it your best shot and see how it goes. The top 7 schools aren't out of reach, but keep in mind that there's enough folks these days with pre-MBA PE experience that you'll be up against folks with bluer chip resumes than you may have. Columbia, Chicago, Kellogg, Sloan and Tuck are all within reach, Wharton is a probable (maybe even a stretch, hard to say this year), and HBS and Stanford are stretches - but then again, if you really want to go, by all means apply.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Private Equity
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 14:53
Alex,

Assume the same information as above, but now I'm looking at a very difficult question as work got very busy over the last few months and I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to attend B-school period. Long story short, I did not submit any applications in Rounds 1 or 2. Now, I'm stuck with the difficult question of whether I should apply in Round 3 (knowing the chances are reduced significantly), or waiting until next fall and applying in Round 1. What bothers me is age - I will be 28 in April (2010) and thus would be entering b-school at 29 if I wait to apply until fall (for 2011 admission).

Thoughts?
Thank you.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 10:23
Apply Round 1. Yes, age is an issue, but the difficulty of getting in Round 3 makes it a moot point - you're still better off applying in the fall.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation Request - PE Experience   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2010, 10:23