Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation request please!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation request please! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 18:16
Thank you in advance for your time and input!

I just finished retaking the GMAT and improved from 660 to 710 (Q48 V39, IR 8). I have been doing my research for the past few months and could use some feedback on how to best approach the application process in the fall (planning way ahead).

Background: Caucasian male, 24

Education:
Double major in Finance and Economics from Penn State, minor in Business Law. My GPA was 3.72, 3.89 major GPA in Finance.

Experience:
Since I graduated in 2012, I have been working for a large international healthcare equipment and biotech supply company, with a group that specializes in post M&A branding and customer engagement. I lead our weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial reviews, prepare the financial results for our Chief Commercial Officer, and help with other projects such as annual performance forecasts, expense projections, compensation plans, and strategy/customer partnerships.

Extracurriculars/Leadership:
In college, I was a member of the cross country club for all 4 years. I was appointed team captain (of 200 members) my first year, elected treasurer my second and third years, and appointed alumni coordinator my fourth year. As the treasurer, I managed a $45,000 annual budget and was responsible for coordinating all of our payments, event registrations, fundraising, and reimbursements. The club was also awarded 'Club of the Year' out of 100+ student organizations while I was treasurer (one of four executive leaders). As the alumni coordinator, I managed alumni relationships and set up social activities on popular visiting weekends. I also danced in the Penn State Dance Marathon (46 hours of no sitting or sleeping) to raise money for the Hershey Fund for Childhood Cancer.

Since undergrad, I have participated twice in the Bike MS cycling team for my company, riding 150 miles across the state of PA to support the National MS Society. My company raised over $14,000 for charity. Outside work I am a marathon runner (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston so far) and recently ran a 31 mile ultra-marathon.

Volunteer work:
In undergrad, our club raised an average of $26,000 annually for the Hershey Fund. Recently, I have been involved with IceWatch USA, a volunteer effort to monitor local waterway conditions to support climate change research.

Goals:
I want to progress into a management position in a large company after my MBA, ideally with a similar focus on post-M&A strategy or a focus on sustainable management/corporate social responsibility. I intend to follow the sustainability themes or tracks to prepare for this possibility, and also because I believe it will become highly relevant in the future.

Schools: So far I am focusing heavily on Darden, Fuqua, Berkeley, and Anderson. I am considering Kellogg and Booth as well.

Questions:
- In my last two GMAT prep test, I scored 740 and 760. Would it be worth attempting the GMAT a third time to try to improve upon 710? Would that affect scholarship potential?
- Does my higher GPA offset or strengthen my odds despite a median GMAT score at most of my targets?
- Is having 3 years of experience at matriculation too soon to apply?

Thanks again for any input!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3136
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation request please! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 23:15
Expert's post
bjb5228 wrote:
Thank you in advance for your time and input!

I just finished retaking the GMAT and improved from 660 to 710 (Q48 V39, IR 8). I have been doing my research for the past few months and could use some feedback on how to best approach the application process in the fall (planning way ahead).

Background: Caucasian male, 24

Education:
Double major in Finance and Economics from Penn State, minor in Business Law. My GPA was 3.72, 3.89 major GPA in Finance.

Experience:
Since I graduated in 2012, I have been working for a large international healthcare equipment and biotech supply company, with a group that specializes in post M&A branding and customer engagement. I lead our weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial reviews, prepare the financial results for our Chief Commercial Officer, and help with other projects such as annual performance forecasts, expense projections, compensation plans, and strategy/customer partnerships.

Extracurriculars/Leadership:
In college, I was a member of the cross country club for all 4 years. I was appointed team captain (of 200 members) my first year, elected treasurer my second and third years, and appointed alumni coordinator my fourth year. As the treasurer, I managed a $45,000 annual budget and was responsible for coordinating all of our payments, event registrations, fundraising, and reimbursements. The club was also awarded 'Club of the Year' out of 100+ student organizations while I was treasurer (one of four executive leaders). As the alumni coordinator, I managed alumni relationships and set up social activities on popular visiting weekends. I also danced in the Penn State Dance Marathon (46 hours of no sitting or sleeping) to raise money for the Hershey Fund for Childhood Cancer.

Since undergrad, I have participated twice in the Bike MS cycling team for my company, riding 150 miles across the state of PA to support the National MS Society. My company raised over $14,000 for charity. Outside work I am a marathon runner (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston so far) and recently ran a 31 mile ultra-marathon.

Volunteer work:
In undergrad, our club raised an average of $26,000 annually for the Hershey Fund. Recently, I have been involved with IceWatch USA, a volunteer effort to monitor local waterway conditions to support climate change research.

Goals:
I want to progress into a management position in a large company after my MBA, ideally with a similar focus on post-M&A strategy or a focus on sustainable management/corporate social responsibility. I intend to follow the sustainability themes or tracks to prepare for this possibility, and also because I believe it will become highly relevant in the future.

Schools: So far I am focusing heavily on Darden, Fuqua, Berkeley, and Anderson. I am considering Kellogg and Booth as well.

Questions:
- In my last two GMAT prep test, I scored 740 and 760. Would it be worth attempting the GMAT a third time to try to improve upon 710? Would that affect scholarship potential?
- Does my higher GPA offset or strengthen my odds despite a median GMAT score at most of my targets?
- Is having 3 years of experience at matriculation too soon to apply?

Thanks again for any input!


Hey dude,
Thanks for dropping by… so let's jump straight into your questions first:

- In my last two GMAT prep test, I scored 740 and 760. Would it be worth attempting the GMAT a third time to try to improve upon 710? Would that affect scholarship potential?

I think you can… I mean it's pretty normal for folks to score about 20-30 points lower on the real exam, so getting a 760 doesn't mean you will get a 760, but still, the chance is there, and taking the GMAT juuuuust one more time can't really hurt you. Plus you have the time (well, I don't know if you really have the time, but I mean at least in terms of when applications are), sooo why not??

- Does my higher GPA offset or strengthen my odds despite a median GMAT score at most of my targets?
Of course it helps a lot! And don't necessarily look at your score as "average" at your target schools. The better way is to look at the average score as a sort of threshold, and if you're there (and you are) then it's good enough. (but like I write above an extra 30 points can never hurt :) )

- Is having 3 years of experience at matriculation too soon to apply?
It's not "too soon" it's "just perfect". Although I don't yet know your work experience in deep detail, you also seem to have the type of work experience that is very significant, and so three years by matriculation should be sufficient.

Otherwise, I like what I see here. I think that with your base profile, you should be concentrating on Top 10 schools (you could even given H/S/W a shot if you are so inclined). Your work experience is still a wee bit unclear for me, and we have to dig in there to see exactly how strong it is, but basically your profile looks sweet. (as in "sweeeeeeeeeet") :)

Hope this helps!
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation request please! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 12:04
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bjb5228 wrote:
Thank you in advance for your time and input!

I just finished retaking the GMAT and improved from 660 to 710 (Q48 V39, IR 8). I have been doing my research for the past few months and could use some feedback on how to best approach the application process in the fall (planning way ahead).

...


Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I am still very torn on the GMAT retake and have been leaning towards staying put with what I have now. I will give it another week or so before I decide for sure.

I also have been considering taking a shot at H/S/W, though will likely only go for Stanford.

-Brian
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3136
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 518 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation request please! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 23:44
Expert's post
bjb5228 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
bjb5228 wrote:
Thank you in advance for your time and input!

I just finished retaking the GMAT and improved from 660 to 710 (Q48 V39, IR 8). I have been doing my research for the past few months and could use some feedback on how to best approach the application process in the fall (planning way ahead).

...


Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I am still very torn on the GMAT retake and have been leaning towards staying put with what I have now. I will give it another week or so before I decide for sure.

I also have been considering taking a shot at H/S/W, though will likely only go for Stanford.

-Brian


Sounds good Brian,

Good luck to you,

and if you got any other questions, just drop a line,

Peace out yo (Yeah, I'm a child of the 90s)
JF
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation request please amolg 1 06 Mar 2014, 08:58
Request for Profile Evaluation please siddharth86 2 01 May 2013, 20:47
Experts publish their posts in the topic Request for Profile Evaluation please siddharth86 2 01 May 2013, 19:00
Profile: Evaluation request please baker2145 0 08 Sep 2011, 15:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Requesting a profile evaluation - Please akshey2021 1 01 Dec 2010, 09:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation request please!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.