Joined: 05 Jul 2009
 , given: 0
Profile evaluation request (surprise, surprise!) [#permalink]
06 Jul 2009, 09:18
This post received
Hi! I'm hoping you can help me determine if I aiming too high or just right for b-school. Thank you!
Me: 25 years old (26 at matriculation), Indian male but not Indian IT (born in the US)
Academics: 3.72 GPA from Cornell University; Major: Chemical Engineering (in top 20%)
GMAT: 730 - Q50 (94%) V39 (87%) AWA 5.5
Work Experience: Upon matriculation, I will have 4 years of full time work experience in management consulting for a fairly well regarded firm (not MBB, but in the top 25 of Vault’s top 50 consulting firms). In three years, I have been promoted once, received consistently high reviews, and my salary has increased 50%. I now help manage a few teams of 1-2 junior analysts in the US and in India on multiple small projects (~100 k), and interact daily with clients (primarily sales operations management, and marketing / brand directors of top 50 pharmaceutical companies). My responsibilities include:
- Manage the completion of small projects
- Ensure the high quality of key client deliverables
- Proactively set-up analysis to address key client questions and concerns
- Communicate with clients on the relevant phases of the project
- Design and run client meetings, and develop presentations
- Oversee the work of junior analysts, and act as an mentor / manager
In addition, I have also designed and facilitated technical (i.e. Excel) training sessions for junior analysts, and have helped screen and interview job applicants.
Recommendations: I will get strong recommendations from supervisors from work (one went to Hass).
- Currently a Cornell Peer Mentor; have helped current Cornell students learn about consulting, and have gotten several job interviews at my firm
- Treasurer/Secretary and member of executive board of my college fraternity
- Worked with a local company in college that converts diesel engines to run on vegetable oil, helped design and implement a new oil filtration system
- Senior peer mentor for junior undergraduates in my major at school
- Selected as a TA for an upper-level course in my major my senior year of school
- Wrote a senior thesis in college (semiconductor research)
- Currently involved in local Habitat for Humanity
Overall, I feel my ECs are my weakest credential.
Post-MBA plans: Use my MBA to transition to the client side, want to focus on marketing in school. Right now, I believe a part-time MBA is more my preference.
Below are my schools:
Reaches/Dreams: Stanford (full-time), Tuck (full-time)
Match schools: Hass (part-time), UCLA (part-time)
Safety: USC (part-time)
My question is this: is my profile competitive at these schools? Also, I had several internships during college (engineer at IBM), are these worth mentioning?
Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated!