Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request (Very low GPA, Very high GMAT)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Marketing (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request (Very low GPA, Very high GMAT) [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 14:57
Hi, I'm a 28-year-old female with a profile that is a bit all over the place, and I'm hoping someone can evaluate my school selection and/or offer suggestions on schools I might want to look at, given my profile.

Also any other analysis or comments on application strategy is also always welcome!

Thanks so much!

[1] MARKETING & I.T. COORDINATOR, for a national law firm - 3 years experience

• Marketing Functions: Printed and online marketing materials redesign and maintenance, business development - RFP bids, firm & partner business plans, conferences/speaking opportunities advice and coordination, maintain list of key contacts for current and target clients.

• IT Functions: Troubleshooting, training, and strategic advice for all hardware and software in Princeton and Philly offices, coordination with various IT vendors/service providers.

[2]
    • GMAT:
    • 760 - V: 44, Q: 49, IR: 7, AWA: 5.5
    • GRE:
    • V: 166 (96th%), Q: 168 (96th%), AWA: 3.5

[3] BRYN MAWR COLLEGE - B.A. in MATHEMATICS - GPA: 2.3
    • Note: In addition to my abysmal GPA, I also a have large gap in my education timeline: I should have graduated in 2008 but was short 1 semester's worth of credits, which I had intended to take off-campus the following semester for transfer and promptly finish up. Things did not go as planned and despite lacking a degree, I ended up working full-time and beginning my career. Then in January 2013, I decided to go back full-time to Bryn Mawr and I finally completed my degree. (Unfortunately, there are no extenuating circumstances that led to my poor academic performance other than immaturity and a perceived lack of existential purpose.)

[4] LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
    • Bryn Mawr Residential Council, Elected Co-President

OTHER INVOLVEMENT:
    • Student Government Association, Bryn Mawr Boad of Trustees Finance Committee, Athletic Association, NCAA Field Hockey TeamNCAA Indoor and Outdoor Track Team

[5]
    • First choice school is CMU-Tepper
    • Other schools I am considering: George Washington, Georgetown, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, Babson, Baruch College, U of Marland - Smith, Johns Hopkins - Carey

[6] Applying Round 2 this year.

[7] SHORT-TERM GOAL:
    • Career change to Consulting - Specifically to work either in the Corp. Social Responsibility department of a large consulting firm or at a CSR-specialized boutique consulting firm. Interested in consulting business strategy/development for consumer products/services companies and/or non-profits.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Very low GPA, Very high GMAT) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 12:53
Expert's post
Hi there,

Congrats on the excellent GMAT score. Hmm, you're in a touch position primarily due to that GPA certainly. That is the toughest challenge to overcome, because it also theoretically 'pulls the school's average' down that much. On the flip side, your GMAT would be great for any school's average GMAT score, and that is slightly more often cited when assessing schools.

Another area I have less info on is more depth about your work experience and specifically leadership experiences. Ideally you'd have some leadership experiences and accomplishments you can highlight during your work experience that demonstrate what you can contribute to a class, as well as some community involvement. At this point it sounds like Tepper is a stretch, though certainly if it's your dream school you can still give it a shot and see what happens, and it does seem well-suited for your background and interests. Carey, Georgetown & GW could still be a little challenging as well; you may have a shot at the others on your list with compelling essays and interview.

I believe you said you're applying asap; generally in a case like this with a GPA that low, we would suggest additional coursework that would be useful for b-school course work, where you are able to get high grades and demonstrate another side to your academic background. If there was a chance to do so, at least you could mention at interviews let's say, that you are putting in that effort.

Keep us posted on your decisions and good luck! Let us know if you have other q's.

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Marketing (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Very low GPA, Very high GMAT) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 20:40
Hi Jen,

Thanks so much for your response! I have a quick follow up question in regard to school selection.

Although I fully understand that I could benefit from an extra year to take classes and an establish an "alternative transcript", I'm too far along in the application process to not see it through for this year. With that being said, ideally I would like to avoid the situation where I don't get into any of the schools I apply to this year and then have to expend the time, energy, and money necessary to reapply next year. So my question for you is:

Do you think I have a probable/more realistic chance of being accepted to any of the schools I listed previously? If not, are there any schools you would suggest I look at/apply to that have decent programs/job placement, but may be less selectively for whatever reason? I totally understand that you only have a limited picture of my background. Plus I realize that given the wild card nature of my profile, it may be impossible to predict the likelihood of me getting in at any school, but I'm throwing the question out to you in case you have any suggestions.

I guess my bottom line question is about where I should realistically aim my expectations even if the reality is that I may very well not get in anywhere without additional coursework to mitigate my gpa.

I hope my question makes sense and I welcome and feedback you might have.

Thanks again for your help!

Alix
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request (Very low GPA, Very high GMAT) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 11:52
Expert's post
Hi Alix,

I hear where you're coming from, certainly. ;) Happy to try to help in any way.

I would say, even if time is limited/non-existent... IF you were able to start even one course, even now.... it couldn't hurt, in that let's say you are interviewed early in the new year, maybe you are taking a course at that point in time and you can mention it in the interview, that you are taking it to build your pre-MBA skills and further demonstrate your quant ability. Just a thought though.

As for the schools, it is a bit of a wild card in that the school would have to take a chance with a GPA a full point below the average. They would really have to love the rest of your application. Without seeing your essays etc, it's tough to say, though certainly they are looking for strong female candidates, and again the GMAT was well-done.... so I think it's POSSIBLE that you'd have a shot at any school on your list if they could overlook the GPA; but hard to count on, and better chances at Babson, maybe Maryland. Baruch actually REQUIRES a higher GPA, so you may want to skip them. Other schools you could look at include U Wisconsin Madison; Krannert; Wake Forest; Smeal; Katz. But I'd still apply to a few from your list, with that GMAT, and work hard on those essays and making your case, in case they can be convinced to overlook the GPA. Keep us posted on questions and your progress, good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php