Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation requested (Specialization in Finance)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation requested (Specialization in Finance) [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 05:50
Please evaluate my profile mentioned below.

GMAT: 720
Female / Indian
Languages: English, Hindi, French (Basic)

Bachelor of Commerce: 71% (top 10% of batch)
10th: 89%
12th: 92%
CFA: all 3 levels

Work experience:
5 years in PE / financial modelling with the Big 4. Have travelled to France and Singapore for projects.

No major extra-curriculars / community involvement.

I am targeting MBA with specialization in Finance / Strategic Consulting.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation requested (Specialization in Finance) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 19:35
Expert's post
You certainly have some of the "core basics" for a run at top business schools. What you have to realize, however, is that schools are receiving emails from top applicants from all over the world and will have their pick amongst them. Most top candidates are going to have demonstrated involvement in their communities outside of work, so you will make it too easy for them to pass on you for someone else if you don't seem like the kind of person who gets involved. THey want to bring in future business leaders and most if not all business leaders in the world today are engaged with their communities (sit on boards, support causes, etc.) Best to think on what you're passionate about and try to find a way to participate in something outside your office or daily grind that will allow you to give back. I bet if you look back over your life you can name a thing or two you have done to get engaged. Just go out and start doing that again and you will then have a long history of participation in something you love just by reconnecting the dots. Hope this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation requested (Specialization in Finance) [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2013, 22:09
Thanks for your advice Bryant. As a follow up query, i have been involved with a few clothes donation drives locally and been active in debates and extempore at high school and during graduation. You think it would be a good idea to join Toastmasters club? Would a short stint (till i submit my applications) add value?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation requested (Specialization in Finance) [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 06:33
Expert's post
I have not known Toastmasters to add much value to a b-school application if you simply run out and join it now. It's a great organization, and fosters servant leadership, but it takes time to demonstrate these benefits. If you had been involved in it for a period and had leadership responsibilities or achievements, then yes, but since it's voluntarily joined and open to anyone, it does not really say much about your leadership or public speaking skills as a new member and does not represent much of an achievement. Alternatively it would likely add more value if you stick with the clothing drives, but maybe seek a leadership role (initiate a new drive, organize or lead a group or community to do them, etc.)

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews