Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation required! 30yrs IndianITMale, 690(Q48V37)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Fisher Thread Master
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
profile evaluation required! 30yrs IndianITMale, 690(Q48V37) [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 23:39
Dear Jon,

I really enjoy ur posts, fun to read and very useful :-D Thanks in advance for the evaluation.

GMAT Score: 690 (Q48V37) on 14th mar,2013

Education:
Born and brought up in New Delhi , India.
Secondary and senior secondary - xth and xii th standard - 86% and 82% , Grade 'A' in both standards.
undergrad - B.tech in computer sciences from Gautam Buddh Techincal University- 4yrs - 64% - first div
PMP certified in good standing since 2010 (Project mgmt professional - PMI)
Certificate Program in Management of Software Development (CPMSD) from Indian Institute Of Management (IIM) Calcutta, WB, India.
IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL v3) Foundation from Cabinet Office, UK.
A couple more certification.

Work Experience:
Working at HP Services Singapore (earlier in Ericsson/ HCL tech) as a senior consultant. I have about 7 yrs of exp.
worked in US/Hongkong/Singapore/India, and can show achievements/ progress made in my career.
Job profile - IT Consulting/ pre sales/ CRM / Project management ...handled big multi million $ project.
Also I have worked extensively in multi cultural work env with people from different backgrounds and geographies.

LT/ST Goals:
My professional objective is to make a career in Business strategy and planning. My short term career objective is to augment my leadership skills, gain expertise in business strategy and planning, global consulting, sales and marketing.
I have been planning my finances and making progress towards my career goals for the past 3 years, and In terms of experience and financial capability, I believe now is the right time in my career to go for an MBA.

Weakness:
Weakness is that my undergrad is NOT from a TOP univ, Its an avg\above avg state univ. Although i have tried to get industry level certifications like PMP \other mgmt certifications, to mitigate this.

Target Schools:
I want to be very practical while i apply to US MBA Schools. Please could you suggest a few safe and few target schools for me?
Perhaps a couple of reach schools too?

Best Regards
Nicky

GMATPrep 1: 670
GMATPrep 2 : 710

Last edited by nishant1006 on 13 Feb 2014, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation required! 30yrs IndianITMale, 690(Q48V37) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 02:31
Expert's post
Hey Nicky,
Thanks for the super-detailed profile. So you have some great stuff in your profile, and some more difficult stuff to overcome.

Pros: The biggest pro for me is that you are company-sponsored and are returning to a serious leadership role in a huge firm. This alone will make you a safe choice for many schools. They know that not only will you get a job, but that you will get a great one, and with leadership too. Next is your international experience, with is far above the average, and I also think your volunteer experience is very solid.

Cons: A 690 on the GMAT is not "Bad" at all, but still it would have been nicer if it was a wee bit higher :)... But despite this "con" it's still better to have a great profile with a slightly lower GMAT then a Great GMAT with a standard profile... Second is your uni, as you mentioned, and being 30 puts you a bit on the older side.

What schools could you apply to? I'd aim for either schools with General Management strengths or Tech strengths. I think Top 10 might be a bit out or range, but you could apply to one or maybe two, if there is one you really like (Haas?). Otherwise, your "Range" will be likely somewhere between 10-30 approximately.. schools like Anderson, McCombs, Ross, Kelly, Kenan-Flagler, etc. (obviously some will be tougher than others, but this is a good approximation), and then you can add one school you really like that is outside the top 20 as your safe school.

But in general, I should write that I like what I see, I like your story, and I think you might be able to do better than your GMAT might allow you.

Hope this gets you started!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Fisher Thread Master
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: profile evaluation required! 30yrs IndianITMale, 690(Q48V37) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 05:31
Cool Points Jon! and though i am 30, I look 25 :wink: atleast that's what my gf keeps tellin me...
Well, on a more need your help note, I am planning to work with an admin consultant and went through Admissionado site. I have submitted a request for a free consultation.
I quite like the service packages and am contemplating taking up the Junior Deluxe for 2 schools. As you rightly pointed out, I am kinda runnin out of time, and will not be able to wait another year, so I have to go out all guns blazin in round 1...
Look forward to workin with Admissionado and I must say this: Of all the guys in the business, you come across as the most honest, practical and friendly....
Thank You Jon, great goin!

JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey Nicky,
Thanks for the super-detailed profile. So you have some great stuff in your profile, and some more difficult stuff to overcome.

Pros: The biggest pro for me is that you are company-sponsored and are returning to a serious leadership role in a huge firm. This alone will make you a safe choice for many schools. They know that not only will you get a job, but that you will get a great one, and with leadership two. Next is your international experience, with is far above the average, and I also think your volunteer experience is very solid.

Cons: A 690 on the GMAT is not "Bad" at all, but still it would have been nicer if it was a wee bit higher :)... But despite this "con" it's still better to have a great profile with a slightly lower GMAT then a Great GMAT with a standard profile... Second is your uni, as you mentioned, and being 30 puts you a bit on the older side.

What schools could you apply to? I'd aim for either schools with General Management strengths or Tech strengths. I think Top 10 might be a bit out or range, but you could apply to one or maybe two, if there is one you really like (Haas?). Otherwise, your "Range" will be likely somewhere between 10-30 approximately.. schools like Anderson, McCombs, Ross, Kelly, Kenan-Flagler, etc. (obviously some will be tougher than others, but this is a good approximation), and then you can add one school you really like that is outside the top 20 as your safe school.

But in general, I should write that I like what I see, I like your story, and I think you might be able to do better than your GMAT might allow you.

Hope this gets you started!

GMATPrep 1: 670
GMATPrep 2 : 710

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation required! 30yrs IndianITMale, 690(Q48V37) [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 23:02
Expert's post
Awesome!!!!!
I'm really glad you decided to work with us. And thanks a ton for the kind words. It's nice to feel appreciated. And if you need anything at all, you just contact me or Lauren or anyone on the team, and we'll do our best to help you out.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!