Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation required

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation required [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 03:46
Here is my background:
1. GMAT Score 680- Q49 V33
2. Always scored 75% or plus in graduation, 12th and 10th
3. 7 years of work experience in Investment Banking. Responsible for origination and execution of M&A deals. Currently leading team of 4 persons. I have team handling experience of 5 years. Have independently closed 2 deals and sourced more than 10 M&A deals for my department
4. Part of Leadership team at ICICI Bank, India
5. Indian Nationality.
6. Age 29 years
7. No extracirricular but have always excelled in job and got timely promotions
8. I can get strong recommendations from my boss and my clients
9. No exposure to community service but recently got associated with Grameen Foundation. Though yet to devote any personal time.

Goals post MBA:
- Private Equity
- strategy consulting

My top choice schools are: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Insead, LBS.
I am worried that my gmat score is low in verbal and also overall score is below 700.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile evaluation required [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 23:03
Expert's post
Jitendra,

Your career goals are going to dictate what schools are best. If your goal is to transition into a new type of investment vehicle, you will need to attend a strong finance school with a pipeline directly into those types of shops. Tuck stands out for having long-standing relationships with a lot of PE firms. Wharton is of course a top choice, but your GMAT score will hurt and your lack of ECs will hurt even more - Wharton is extremely focused on community and innovation within that robust community. You might want to consider Yale closely - very good finance program, plugged into Wall Street. Booth sort of goes without saying. But you are also going to want to consider some schools outside of the top 10, such as Tepper.

Now, if you go the other direction to make a career change into strategy consulting, you need to find a program that has a solid recruiting presence in that space, but that is also tolerant of career changers. This rules out Columbia real quick (in fact, even wanting to shift from what you are doing into PE might be too rich for Columbia's blood). It also rules out some of the other more traditional finance programs. Really, to me, there are two schools that stand out: NYU and Haas. NYU has programs designed specifically for people making career shifts like investment banking --> consulting. I believe it is called IMI and it helps you get plugged in from day one. Either way, it is a school with great ties into all investment sectors, but also is open to people making radical shifts. Haas has an overall approach to the process that suggests an open stance regarding people shifting careers.

Overall, your first step will be figuring out which of these diverse career angles is your priority at this moment, so that you can be singular in your focus on the applications. From there, it is about building a nice mix of schools that accommodate either pursuit (in case you change your mind) and that give you the best chance of gaining admission.

At gunpoint, my top choice for you is NYU Stern.

(Oh, and I'm sorry to say, but HBS can probably be ruled out now. Harvard has been skewing young for several years and while you still fall within the age range of students that will be admitted, you are well outside the sweet spot.)

Love to help you get all of this sorted out and then put together some bang-up applications. PM me if you are interested in doing a consultation.

Thanks for reaching out.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton