Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.3
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 22:04
Hi,
I just took GMAT 660 (Q50, V31).
My background : 3 years Software development work experience in Cisco R&D India.
Undergrad: National Institute of Technology Surathkal (Top 10 Tech schools in India)
CG: 7.6/10 (don't know how to convert into 4.0, think conversion is around 3.2-3.4 not sure)

Started my own venture in college and ran it for a year. A Small Internet collaborative magazine
Interned at a Internet startup in managerial and marketing roles for 2 years(worked part time) during college (does it count?)

Extra curricular:
In charge of CSR activities in our company.Speaking to NGOs and making all employees to participate in the activities.
I maintain a Stock picks on fundamental analysis in a website.

What top schools I can apply with this score. Is it possible to get universities like UVa, cornell, kellog or atleast NUS or 2 tier like Kelly or Mays ?
I don't think I will be able to take GMAT again.I will be busy with work next two months

Please evaluate my profile and make suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Phoenix - wow that quant score is impressive! Unfortunately though, the overall 660 is much lower than what an Indian tech guy needs to get into a great program. The bad news is that there's just a lot of candidates "like you" applying - yes, even with the "started my own venture" and the "CSR initiatives" and the other angles that are adding some nice color to your profile. The GMAT is not the most important part of a profile, but a lower score like this can really be an obstacle.

Your college internship does 'count' in terms of adding to your profile; many Indian candidates don't have that, so it's certainly additive. It's not full-time work experience though, if you're asking about how to calculate that number for your apps (many schools ask for candidates to indicate how many months of experience they've got pre-matriculation; you won't include the internships there).

The GPA is fine, you actually don't need to worry about converting it to the 4.0 system, most schools nowadays want you to simply report it on the scale your school provided. The 7.6 is again not overly distinctive; it's not bad (not a weakness) it's just not going to 'wow' anybody.

The very good news in your question though is that you're asking about a wide range of schools, which means you're realistic and flexible. If you absolutely do not want to take the GMAT again, then yes you could have a shot at schools like Kelley or Mays with your current score. Without knowing a lot more about you / your profile then we can't say one way or another if you would have a real chance at Kellogg, UVA, etc. - but you might, especially if you bump up that verbal side of your GMAT.

It sounds like you tested just once. You're early enough in the admissions season that we strongly recommend you try the test again. There's literally no downside to it and a higher score could have a very significant ROI for you in terms of options it opens up.

Hope this helps - let us know if you have any follow-ups and we'll be happy to address them.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 03:05
Hi Thanks a lot. I will consider taking GMAT again or GRE, Thanks for your honest reply will contact you once with the new test scores.One query, Is getting H1B after graduating is it tough for fields like Finance than tech(say product management) ?
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:54
This post received
KUDOS
phoenix90 wrote:
Is getting H1B after graduating is it tough for fields like Finance than tech(say product management) ?

Not necessarily; it really depends on the economy and how much demand there is for new hires in the sector you're going for. Also the U.S. is (hopefully!) in the midst of passing some immigration reform so the visa thing might be simpler all around in coming days.

A bigger question is, can you easily transition to finance given your existing background? Some might say yes, others might hesitate. You'll need to convince the adcom that you'll be able to pull off such a big jump in your career before most of them will green-light you to try.

Also, re: testing: We've heard others say that the GRE is harder on the verbal side. Might not make sense to switch over for you. Ask around and confirm the strategy; the GMAT is typically a better test to take for the MBA.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:58
Thank you for clearing my doubts regarding Visa and career changes. The problem I thought in retaking GMAT is I took gmat 2 years ago in college for a MSc program, but got only 640.So after that took it again last week. Got 660 (Not much change, but quant increased and verbal decreased from that time) . I am sure I can hit 720 in next time if I study verbal well. But it will be my third time, Is that fine? I thought taking it more than twice gives a bad impression.

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 05:16
phoenix90 wrote:
I thought taking it more than twice gives a bad impression.

For most schools, taking the test three times is not a problem, especially since there's so much time between test #1 and test #2. Obviously you'll want to do a good job with this next one and make it your last!! :-D Submitting with a history of three tests over two years is not going to hurt you, especially if your final test is a great score.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:26
Thank you essaysnark. After discussing a lot. I think its better to go to GMAT than writing GRE.I will soon book a date and write.

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 11:29
That's great. You're likely to pull out an awesome score - you're more than halfway there with the impressive quant. Good luck and let us know if we can help!

Re: Profile Evaluation required just took GMAT   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2013, 11:29