Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-28-2013
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
, given: 0
Profile evaluation (Russian) [#permalink]
28 May 2013, 10:35
Hello! Sorry in advance for long topic.
Need you help in evaluation of my profile.
Background info: 30 yr old Russian/ male/ 8 yrs experience in import/export and 2 yrs in domestic sales
Languages: Native speaker of Russian, conversational English (IELTS overall score 7.5 out of 9.0), moderate in Mandarin (HSK 3.0 out of 6.0), limited in Norwegian and German
Graduated from :
1. Kazan State Educational University in 2005 (Master of foreign economic relations) ;
2. Kazan State Educational University in 2003 (secondary specialized education in business accounting graduated with honors). Here I should emphasize that since Russia had just joined Bologna process model by the time I finished this 3 years accounting course, it might be quite confused for Western Universities to recognize Russian secondary specialized education. But fact is fact, I also finished 3-yrs business accounting course in University; President of class
3. Institute of history under Academy of Science in 2008 - Post-graduate student specialized in history of political science. Finished with excellent marks (A’s) for the qualifying examination for the candidate degree but decided not to write Ph.D. thesis since at that time I didn’t set myself it as object.
GPA: not calculated in Russia, but in University I was in TOP 10% of class. Most likely I will send my educational docs to US agencies for further recognition.
GMAT: I suppose, this one is my Achilles’ heel . I am going to take the test on June but expect to have only 650-680 with a little overbalance towards quant section (based on prep tests). As I graduated from U. almost 8 yrs ago and gained more academic education than technical , sometimes it is complicated for me to recall and apply all concepts of math to GMAT questions, even though my math skills in school were quite strong. I have been preparing for GMAT for almost 5 months (around 8-10 hours per week) and feel some progress (from 540 to 620) but it is still not enough.
Work Experience: in total almost 8 years of international trades (import/export)
From very recent
Head of export department (by this time almost 2 years)
Inter alia: * Established export department (became first Russian winery that started to export products not only to CIS and EU, but to Far East countries)
* Became leading exporting Russian winery in territorial coverage
* Trained factory staff of related departments for exportation purposes
* Developed market entry strategies, forecasted manufacturing sales
* Drew up contracts, their executions and all related….
Export manager (almost 3 years)
* Established deliveries to non-CIS countries (became top 10 Russian exporter of beverages)
* Drew up contracts, their executions, certification issues…
* developed and implemented long-term sales plans, production plans…
* Customs clearance
Import manager (almost 3 years)
* Overall import increased by more than 300% since taking the position
* Maintained supplier relationships with foreign companies, developed new relationships with suppliers from Spain, Italy, France
* Controlled over execution of contracts
* Customs clearance
Above all, run own small business while studying in University, but closed it due lack of time
Letters of R.: I expect to have really good ones from my previous boss (I don’t want to bother my current employer ) and my scientific adviser from Academy).
Public Speaking: Represented company at various national and international forums (including official events in Trade Chambers of Russia in Europe).
Interests: Geopolitics and International Trade analysis. Hiking, mountain biking, traveling. Enjoy reading. Classically trained musician (violinist).
Long term goal: to run own company related to either import or export activities
I feel that I am not ready enough for successfully running my own business, so I need to develop more entrepreneurial and leadership skills, even though my leadership skills are quite satisfied or at least quite enough for called-in employee, who run its own small team.
Target schools: Fuqua , Stanford, London BS, HKUST, IMD, HAAS, CEIBS.
Still not decided where to apply in R1 and R2.
What do you think? What are my weaknesses besides GMAT score?