Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation + School assistance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation + School assistance [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 02:03
Hi

Would really appreciate some assistance in deciding which Schools to apply for keeping in mind my profile and my future goals. So here goes

Nationality: Indian
Work Experience: 4+ at the time of matriculation (Applying for the fall 2011 session)
GMAT Score: 720 (V39,Q49) (1st attempt
)

Education:

Undergraduate: Business Management, India's top University, 58% (No GPA system)
Post Graduate: Business Management with a specialization in Marketing, GPA: 2.99/4

Extra Curricular Achievements:

Won a number of National Paper Presentation Competitions
Member of the Student's Council during my Post Graduate Studies

Work Experience:

Joined the Finance Arm of a Fortune 5 company after my Post Graduate Studies as a part of the Leadership Development Program
Gained Cross Functional Exposure Across Sales, Portfolio Management and am Currently the Product Manager in my vertical responsible for Customer Life Cycle Management, Brand Building, Profitable Customer acquisition and overall P&L management. This role usually entails extensive experience and the avg work experience for candidates in this role is 7-8 years.

Achievements:
Recently Promoted to the position of Lead Product Manager
Awarded the Best Project Award in the Leadership Trainee Cadre for the year 2007-08

Strengths:
Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking and execution across Education and at the work place and suitable recognition of these achivements
Relatively different profile vis a vis the stereotypical Indian Male, Engineer, IT work experience
Decent & balanced GMAT score
Excellent Recommendations

Weaknesses
Average Academics but for a few spikes in between
Relatively weak community service & social deeds

Grey Areas:
Already a post graduate in management

Areas of Interest:
Marketing & Product Management
Business Consulting

Applications:

International:
INSEAD: Due to its tremendous reputation as a world class school and 1 year curriculum (not very keen on applying to European colleges keeping in mind the state of the economy in Europe)

USA:
Have basically broken it into 3 tiers based on GMATClub rankings

Tier 1:
Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, Wharton, MIT

Tier 2:
Tuck, Columbia, Kellogg, Haas, NYU Stern

Tier 3:
Ross, Duke Fuqua, Darden, Yale, Tepper

I want to apply to atleast 1 Tier 1 college, 2-3 Tier 2 colleges and 1-2 Tier 3 colleges

Important things I look for in a college:

1) Relevance to my career goals & objectives
2) Career advancement & job opportunities post graduation
3) Strong reputation for excellence
4) Strong alumni community network
5) Diverse International student community
6) Opportunities for financial aid

Keeping in mind my profile and areas of interest, need your views and suggestions on which colleges do I apply to.

I am planning to apply in R2 now as I have already missed the R1 deadlines for most of these colleges

Also how do you rate the Kellogg 1 yr MBA program to its 2 year MBA program.

Looking forward to your reply..

Warm Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation + School assistance [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 09:53
Expert's post
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay on this response. Alas, I respond only with a question:

What is your motivation for an MBA at this time? You do not indicate your career goals above - certainly nothing that suggests you need another graduate course of study in business. That is going to be something you have to overcome even if you have pitch perfect goals and motivation ... without it, I can't recommend even pursuing an MBA.

If we can get your goals sorted out and make sense of your path, I can then advise you on these programs.

(As for Kellogg's 1-year program, it is great, but should only be used appropriately. Meaning, by folks who have robust career networks and don't need a lot of recruiting pipeline access or help and can zip through the entire program. It's not just for people who want to go for a shorter period of time. It is more like Columbia's J-Term than it is like INSEAD's unique model.)

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton