Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation/Scope for improvement

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15
GMAT Date: 11-30-2012
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Profile Evaluation/Scope for improvement [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 04:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can you please evaluate my profile?

GMAT: 700+
Demographics: Indian/Male
Education: Bachelor’s in Mechanical, GPA: 3.2 from a good university in India (Top 10 rank in class)/ strong academic focus with 90+ percentiles through school and college.
Current work experience: Full time- 2 years; Part time-6 years

Details of part time work experience:
Started working for the family business when I turned 18. I did not have a fixed task (no task was more important or less trivial than the other; all work had to be done). I also handled sourcing of components, general management of the business and client interaction. The business involves manufacturing and commissioning of a consumer product.
I relocated to another city after graduating to take up a full time job. This city was home to the R&D center of our business. I moved to corporate development. I now started determining the course our business would take and hence appropriately guide the R&D team. I will continue to stay in this role till I apply to college.

Details of full time work experience:
I considered graduation important to get experience in a foreign multinational and in a quest for a logical thinking process that graduates possess. I was also looking for international exposure through this. I have been working with the world’s leading tractor manufacturer for the past 2 years. I work with clients from the US/Europe/China. I have held varying responsibilities from designing to styling to a bit of program management for upcoming tractors. I have spent about 6 months working in China for the local products there.
After asking for a chance to prove myself (on completing a year with the company), I was assigned the china project. It was a runaway success resulting in a triple promotion and a star of the month award. Consequently I will now be given greater responsibilities – mainly working with American and European markets.

Future target work:
I started working in the full time job mainly for international exposure but I still want to continue with corporate development (in line with what I do in my family business) for a large multinational. Preferred post MBA location would be Western Europe.

Extra curricular activities:
Singer in a band, numerous awards in drawing/painting, numerous awards in quiz competitions

Target school: INSEAD

After conducting research, I concluded that INSEAD is the best fit for me. I plan to apply in 6 months time for the Class starting in Jan 2014 (when I have about 3.5 years of full time experience/7.5 years of part time experience). Considering my profile, how would you rate my chances? What can I do in the coming months to improve those chances? What are some of the weaknesses in my profile which I must fix?

Thanks for all the help in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation/Scope for improvement [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sparta1,

Thanks for your message. I am happy to review your profile and offer my feedback.

My colleagues at Stratus Prep and I have successfully worked with numerous clients applying to INSEAD with personal and professional backgrounds similar to yours. In order to maximize your chances of admission, it makes sense to apply for the January semester as you have indicated that you are planning to do.

I think that you have the right (and enough) work experience for INSEAD and relatively strong academic credentials. In your application, you will want to be really clear about what you have achieved at the multinational tractor firm and how specifically you have achieved it without getting caught up in the technical details. Focus on your team management experiences and your strategic contributions. Do not focus so much on the designing and styling as that is not particularly relevant to MBA AdComs.

It will also be important for you to demonstrate your professional and academic skills outside of the more technical fields as this will help differentiate you from other Indian applicants with an engineering background (Stratus Prep has successfully employed this strategy with countless applicants with profiles similar to yours).

In terms of recommenders, I would suggest you try to get someone from the multinational who can speak to how your work performance compares with that of other employees globally as well as someone from your family's company who is not related to you to speak to your demonstrated commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship (both of which are very in demand by top MBA programs today).

A weakness in your profile (that you should strive to address) is your lack of leadership in the volunteer/non-profit sphere. I would like to see you help lead a strategic initiative in the non-profit space, if at all possible.

Other than addressing you limited non-profit experience, I think that the most important thing that you can do to maximize your chances of admission to INSEAD is to work to produce compelling and thought-provoking essays (as you may know the essays are particularly important at INSEAD). In this regard, I would suggest working with an expert firm, like Stratus Prep, that has a very established track record of helping individuals with your profile into INSEAD. Along those lines, if you would like to schedule a 30 minute free consultation to discuss how we might work together, I would be happy to do so. Please just shoot me a private message here or email me at shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com

Good luck!

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: INSEAD Jan '15
GMAT Date: 11-30-2012
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: Profile Evaluation/Scope for improvement [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 20:08
Thanks Shawn for that detailed reply! Appreciate the help.
Re: Profile Evaluation/Scope for improvement   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2012, 20:08