Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - social entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - social entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 11:37
Hi

Below are my details

Part-time : small entrepreneurial ventures - so far published a device apps that has 100000+ users, set up vegetable delivery company procuring directly from farmers (no middleman) and also a profit sharing agreement and hence contributing to sustainable business model. Also founded a NGO working on eduation (currently very less active)
Experience : 7 yrs in IT industry mostly project/program management responsibilities and for the past two years performing business development and consultative sales roles as well
GMAT: 700

Target schools : Interested in social entrepreneurship and attracting venture capitalist. Oxford Said school, Yale and Kelloggs.

Please evaluate my fit and competitiveness for these schools
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - social entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 18:53
Expert's post
Thanks for reaching out to Amerasia. Well, you have certainly done some cool things and some of your projects speak loud and clear to the values of your target schools (thinking about the world around us ala Oxford, leadership through teamwork ala Kellogg, etc.), but without knowing your academic profile, goals, and interests, it is impossible to measure your chances. The main thing that you will have to do though - as is the case with all applicants, regardless of profile - is turn those unique experiences into valuable application work product. Sure, in some cases you can just tell stories for biggest accomplishment, greatest failure, time you did X, etc. But the real gold is in taking your rich personal history and turning into 1) a rich, nuanced long-term career goal (which is then supported by the path from now to MBA to ST goal), and 2) transferable skills that will allow you to actually get your first job out of school. If you can extract those things, you will be on the right path regardless of school. Hope that helps.

Best,
-Adam/Amerasia
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - social entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 19:14
AdamAACG wrote:
Thanks for reaching out to Amerasia. Well, you have certainly done some cool things and some of your projects speak loud and clear to the values of your target schools (thinking about the world around us ala Oxford, leadership through teamwork ala Kellogg, etc.), but without knowing your academic profile, goals, and interests, it is impossible to measure your chances. The main thing that you will have to do though - as is the case with all applicants, regardless of profile - is turn those unique experiences into valuable application work product. Sure, in some cases you can just tell stories for biggest accomplishment, greatest failure, time you did X, etc. But the real gold is in taking your rich personal history and turning into 1) a rich, nuanced long-term career goal (which is then supported by the path from now to MBA to ST goal), and 2) transferable skills that will allow you to actually get your first job out of school. If you can extract those things, you will be on the right path regardless of school. Hope that helps.

Best,
-Adam/Amerasia

Hi
Thanks for your response. Here is my academic profile
1) Engineer in electronics and communications
2) 3.8 GPA
3) Have scored 99.7% in university selection/entrance exams and 96% in high school/pre-university (Higher secondary)
4) Indian,Male ...currently going to immigrate to canada
5) One of the top 6 for an intra company/conglomerate high performer selection (among 400K + associates/employees)
4)
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - social entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 23:05
Expert's post
I think you will be a competitive candidate at all your schools. 20-30 points higher on the GMAT would be nice, especially at Yale (note from the #s that they are a GMAT sensitive program - very high average, particularly relative to where they are ranked), but you certainly aren't on a mission impossible at any of them. Based on your diverse experiences and "impact efforts," I think all three are good fits from a personality standpoint and Oxford, to me, is your best bet. I really think you would thrive there from the little I read above.

(Oh, and the experience outside of your home country is helpful as well - more than ever, that seems to be important, especially for applicants from India.)

Good luck!

Best,
-Adam/Amerasia