Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, Somewhat unusual

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation, Somewhat unusual [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 17:53
I'd appreciate any input:

24 year old white female.
Graduated with 3.1 GPA from top public university (double major, liberal arts, lower gpa due to having multiple jobs at once to support myself)
GMAT: 680, 41 Verbal, 42 Quan, 6.0 AWA
Work Experience: 2 years at non-profit, nice contributions, great recommendations...more leadership positions in full-time summer employment during undergrad but plenty of contributions and progress at current job
Other: Lots of service/community oriented activities during college. Less since, because I have been taking graduate level classes, including some to boost my weak quan background (although I had lots of stats classes in undergrad and plenty of financial related experience since, I had no calc/advanced math classes).

What's maybe more unusual is that I want to end up in a non-profit sector, and that doesn't exactly seem to be the norm. I do have some ideas for schools I'd like to apply (UNC, Georgetown....) BUT I'm not exactly sure at what tier of school I should be aiming? I want a good fit more than anything (not necessarily the most prestigious school), but I'm not really sure what schools are reaches vs. good fits as far as my ability to get in. Any advice GREATLY appreciated. Also, should I aim for lower tier schools if I'm looking for more financial aid? Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation, Somewhat unusual [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 18:54
unbmm wrote:

Graduated with 3.1 GPA from top public university (double major, liberal arts, lower gpa due to having multiple jobs at once to support myself)
Work Experience: 2 years at non-profit, nice contributions, great recommendations...more leadership positions in full-time summer employment during undergrad but plenty of contributions and progress at current job
Other: Lots of service/community oriented activities during college. Less since, because I have been taking graduate level classes, including some to boost my weak quan background (although I had lots of stats classes in undergrad and plenty of financial related experience since, I had no calc/advanced math classes).

What's maybe more unusual is that I want to end up in a non-profit sector, and that doesn't exactly seem to be the norm. I do have some ideas for schools I'd like to apply (UNC, Georgetown....) BUT I'm not exactly sure at what tier of school I should be aiming? I want a good fit more than anything (not necessarily the most prestigious school), but I'm not really sure what schools are reaches vs. good fits as far as my ability to get in. Any advice GREATLY appreciated. Also, should I aim for lower tier schools if I'm looking for more financial aid? Thanks!

im not that familiar with non-profit, but i do know yale is the known for its non-profit strength, and has a loan-forgiveness program for those entering non-profit after graduation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

seems like... [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 03:50
Thank you...Seems like maybe that would be quite a reach, considering my stats...I have no idea my chances anywhere because it's hard to compare myself to the typical applicant. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation, Somewhat unusual [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 21:48
Expert's post
unbmm wrote:

unbmm,

I think you may be selling yourself short a bit. You have a respectable to good GMAT score, your work requirement in college will mitigate your GPA, you appear to be a real joiner community-wise with a demonstrated track record in your post-MBA career track (non-profit), and you're a female, which is an asset when applying to B-schools. UNC and Georgetown would be pleased to have you I think and Yale would not be stretch (though somewhat tougher than UNC and GU).

Look at Beyond Grey Pinstripes for ideas on where to apply. Among its top 10, I think you would have a chance at Michigan, Notre Dame, Cornell, and Yale. Haas and CBS would be longshots but not impossible depending on the specifics of your career impact.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog