Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - sort of unique!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - sort of unique! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 04:39
Hi all,

Undergrad: Penn
GPA: 3.84
Major: Natural Sciences (no calc classes as an undergrad though - plenty of other hard sciences where calc is needed) with two ugrad and 2 post-grad Wharton courses in finance, operations management, risk analysis, and accounting
Current WE: 3 years FT pre-college and 2 years FT post-college
Nationality: Caucasian City, population me.

So, I did not go to college right after high school due to extreme family circumstances that required me to assist in paying bills for 3 years. So I worked at a retail bank in customer service and made my way to supervisor. During undergrad I worked for a non-profit that assisted small businesses with financing, grant writing, cash flow analysis, etc.

Post grad Work experience: I ended up taking a job at this non-profit after graduation as an analyst while taking night classes at Wharton (corporate finance and financial accounting, made 'A' in both). I worked here for just over a year FT. I would say I had a leadership role, as I was in charge of coordinating one of our largest grant programs. This required me to drive/fly travel all over Pennsylvania to visit with businesses and other consultants. I then took a job at a finance firm doing cash management work - I am still in this job now (and by enrollment time I will have been in the job for 2.5 years). I would put the firm's "prestige" level at very high in the world of finance. I currently work with about forty funds that average just under $100mm in assets each.

Extracurriculars: I'm not sure I had a ton of these. I needed to work 20-30 hours a week as an undergrad. I was a member of the school's Environmental Group and we did a lot of "greening" efforts locally. That took up what free time I had.

My practice GMAT exams are in the 660-690 range, with my Q trailing my V by quite a bit. If I end up with a 670/680 do I have a shot at Texas, USC, UCLA, or MIT, assuming a high V and a lower Q?

Thanks!

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation - sort of unique! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 10:07
hypermeganet,

Yes, given your unusual profile (delayed college, NGO) and your UG and Wharton grades, I think you would have a chance at Texas, USC, UCLA, and MIT if you end up with a 670/680. Texas and USC will be your best shots. MIT will be a "reach," but one worth reaching for.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter