Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (stuck in NW) - not looking for top 10

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation (stuck in NW) - not looking for top 10 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 15:40

Work Experience:

5 years as programmer/lead engineer IT
3 years as Manager, responsible for a team of 20 (wireless industry), promoted twice in 2 years, with very +ve feedback (All my experience has been with very large and industry leading companies).

Education:

B.E from a very decent engineering school in India (Electrical Engr) - 65% score **
M.S from University of Louisville (Electrical Engr) - 3.2 GPA **

**generally i didnt care about my career or had any motivation to do well as reflected by my GPA, but for the past 3 years i have been putting in atleast a fraction of my time to improve myself, including attending presentation/public speaking classes, and re-taking some of the courses i screwed up in school such as quantum physics, computer architecture and propability & random theory (scored A on all).

since i am stuck in NW my only choice is University of Washington (part time), given this

* what is the general level of respect for UW outside of the NW region /community? is it even worth it?

* what GMAT score would give me a realistic chance of getting in?

* given the type of scores/profiles from their past classes, it seems to me that if i have that kind of profile i would be better of moving to chicago and try my luck w/ U.Chicago or Northwestern.

Any thoughts /guidance much appreciated. Thank you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (stuck in NW) - not looking for top 10 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 18:23
Regional schools like UW have little visibility outside their immediate region. For example, some recruiter in Seattle won't have a positive or negative opinion about the University of Nebraska MBA -- it's that they won't have *any* opinion (i.e. neutral). Same thing with UW outside the Pac Northwest - if it matters at all in the jobs you're going for, it's the fact that it's an MBA will be what matters, and the school rep isn't really going to be relevant.

Anyhow, you have to figure it out for yourself whether you're getting an MBA *only* for the "respect" (or brand), or for the education itself.

Moreover, an MBA is just one line item in your resume. A recruiter ultimately wants to know whether you can deliver results.

As for GMAT, I don't know - get close the average for the school as you can (their average should be published on their website).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (stuck in NW) - not looking for top 10 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 19:41
Not a admissions consultant, but I came across this post which you may find beneficial:

easy-to-find-job-in-different-city-than-b-school-44348.html#p313165
Re: Profile Evaluation (stuck in NW) - not looking for top 10   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2009, 19:41