Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 May 2015, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 13:33
Hello, I was hoping you could have a look at my profile to advise me which schools I could apply.

Background:
25-year old, white, male, Uruguayan and Spanish (I have both nationalities but I was born and raised in Uruguay where I lived my whole life).

Undergraduate:
Business Management Degree. First rank in my graduation. “GPA” of 5.53 out of 6 at a top university in Uruguay but unknown internationally. Graduated in 2011 (I worked while studying).

Languages Spoken:
Spanish (native), English (TOEFL 112), German (intermediate) and Portuguese (intermediate).

Work experience: 7 years full-time work experience
Three years as executive assistant for a top hotel in Uruguay + Two and a half years as administrative assistant for the Uruguayan Public Sector + Almost two years as administrative assistant for the Spanish Public Sector where I am currently employed (but in Uruguay). In all cases I held administrative positions and was awarded the job after after competitive examinations. I could get very good recommendation letters from any employer.

GMAT: 650 (Q39 V41) AWA 5.5.
I know my quantitative score is not good enough for any top school. However, I will probably take the GMAT again. There was a problem at the test center which had a negative impact in my performance on the Q section. I sent a complaint to the GMAC and they gave me a voucher for a free retake within a year. If I take it again I hope to score between 680 and 700. I want to take it again but I will be really busy the following months so I still don’t know when could it be.

Extracurricular:
I volunteered for several Junior Achievement programs. I also worked as a volunteer for a non-governmental organization dedicating myself to helping and advising young people with intellectual disabilities in how to integrate into the labor market. Some success in sports recently.

Areas of interests:
Management and Marketing are the areas that attract me the most, and I might be particularly interested in tourism or culture. I know I am not interested in banking and finance.

I would be glad if you could advise me which B-schools could I apply to in case I don't take the GMAT again or in case I take it again and score something like 690.

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 13

Re: Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

This is a really tough question and to be honest many would have a hard time helping you. In terms of what you're capable of, you certainly have a decent foundation. In addition, it wouldn't be surprising if you had your hopes on the top 30 programs, especially if you work on the GMAT.

What makes your question such a difficult one to tackle is that MBA programs are not all equal. Furthermore, a school ranking higher than another doesn't make it better. What are some of your goals? We would have to question your main goals. Will you be able to attend a full-time or only a part-time program? Are you willing to relocate and possibly even work there afterward (since local firms will present opportunities post-degree)? There are so many questions that we would need to reflect on.

My best recommendation is that if you're willing to move, visit each of the top 30 programs and see which ones makes sense to you. Keep in mind, this assumes that you can go to school full-time, move away from family and friends, and want to be in a competitive program.

Once you've narrowed your list, post them here. With so many members, you'll get personal responses instead of general information about different programs. I can tell you everything you need to know about one particular program. I can tell you a couple things about the other 29. I hope this is helpful. I know for sure you'll get much more helpful responses if you can present us with a list of programs through your own research. Good luck and please keep us in the loop!

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 15:32
Hello jxatrillion and thank you for your answer.

I will probably apply for a Fulbright Scholarship to study a full-time MBA which means that if I accept it I'll have to promise to return to my home country immediately after graduation for at least 2 years. This means that a program more recognized internationally would be better. I don't know how the visa works in case I don't go to the US as a fulbrighter. If I could get to a good program with other schollarships/loans and with the possibility to stay in the US after graduation I might consider this other option instead of the Fulbright Scholarship.

Regarding location area, I would prefer a colder, less populated and safer area over a big, crowded multicultural city. Yes I know this might not seem the best indicator for a B-school student, but I'm not alone, and my wife should also be happy with my decision. Considering this, these are the universities I found interesting:

Iowa (Tippie)
U. of Washington (Foster)
Wisconsin-Madison
Indiana (Kelley)

Could you share your views?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
I am an admitted student and attending Tippie in the fall, and have visited a few times now. If there are any questions about the school you need answered let me know, I'm a bit of an expert.

alfrep wrote:
Hello jxatrillion and thank you for your answer.

I will probably apply for a Fulbright Scholarship to study a full-time MBA which means that if I accept it I'll have to promise to return to my home country immediately after graduation for at least 2 years. This means that a program more recognized internationally would be better. I don't know how the visa works in case I don't go to the US as a fulbrighter. If I could get to a good program with other schollarships/loans and with the possibility to stay in the US after graduation I might consider this other option instead of the Fulbright Scholarship.

Regarding location area, I would prefer a colder, less populated and safer area over a big, crowded multicultural city. Yes I know this might not seem the best indicator for a B-school student, but I'm not alone, and my wife should also be happy with my decision. Considering this, these are the universities I found interesting:

Iowa (Tippie)
U. of Washington (Foster)
Wisconsin-Madison
Indiana (Kelley)

Could you share your views?

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Re: Profile evaluation + suitable B school suggestion   [#permalink] 04 May 2012, 00:27