Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Thank you!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation - Thank you! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2007, 13:20
(repeat of post from elsewhere)

Alright, I decided to go to B-school roughly around May, and have been studying for the GMAT (early August test date) and researching schools for the past couple of months. Here's a rough sketch about me, just to see what the more experienced GMAT Club members think of my chances. I know focusing on the essays is key, and that will be my goal starting from early August until I apply first round end of October/early November. I tried to highlight a few things I will talk about in my essays.

Profile:

EDIT: Profile in Archive: http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286

I would love to hear some feedback on:

1. What people think my chances are.
2. What people think of my differentiation criteria. Should I find something else?
3. Anything I should emphasize more than others?
4. Am I crazy for starting so late and aiming for Round 1 (to maximize my chances)?
5. Any other comments?

Thank you all so much in advance for your help! I look forward to a healthy discussion and constructive criticism!

Last edited by kryzak on 09 Jul 2007, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 09:11
Any help anyone? Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Thank you! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 11:23
kryzak wrote:
(repeat of post from elsewhere)

Alright, I decided to go to B-school roughly around May, and have been studying for the GMAT (early August test date) and researching schools for the past couple of months. Here's a rough sketch about me, just to see what the more experienced GMAT Club members think of my chances. I know focusing on the essays is key, and that will be my goal starting from early August until I apply first round end of October/early November. I tried to highlight a few things I will talk about in my essays.
EDIT: Profile in Archive: http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286

I would love to hear some feedback on:

1. What people think my chances are.
2. What people think of my differentiation criteria. Should I find something else?
3. Anything I should emphasize more than others?
4. Am I crazy for starting so late and aiming for Round 1 (to maximize my chances)?
5. Any other comments?

Thank you all so much in advance for your help! I look forward to a healthy discussion and constructive criticism!

kryzak,

To your questions:
1. Minimal at Stanford, slightly less minimal at CBS, unlikely but possible at Haas, possible/maybe at NYU and UCLA.
2. I think your differentiation criteria make sense. Demonstrating a strong leadership in your career given your engineering + biz dev background will be key.
3. Maybe emphasize international exposure if you have it and explaining what common themese unite your extracurricular activities.
4. No. No worries.
5. Again, demonstrating leadership, impact, and fast-track aspects will be important. They are not obvious in what you gave me. Your age hurts you a little bit.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2007, 13:15
thank you for your response! I do have a question about your comment on #1. So if all the choices I listed in the top 15 b-schools are only possible/maybe for my chances to get in, what can I do to increase those chances?

Are my chances for Stanford and Columbia "minimal" because that's the case for most applicants (unless they truly did something out of this world) or is it specifically something in my profile? I would love to know to see how I can increase my chances of getting in.

After reading what the top b-schools are looking for, I feel that I have the right background (both quantitative and qualitative) to be competitive at the Stanford/Columbia, and a "likely" for Haas/UCLA/Stern, as long as I emphasize the right things, write good essays, and sell myself correctly. It's definitely a bit surprising to hear that my chances for Stanford/Columbia are "minimal" and only "unlikely" for Haas, which is somewhat my backup school.

Would love to read more details about how you came to these conclusions and get some constructive criticism.

Thank you!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 12:01
kryzak,

You appear to lack formal or unusually strong leadership in your worklife, and your overall profile, while strong, is not terribly unusual. There's not much 'wow' factor, just a lot of solid to good credentials. Stanford likes the 'wow' types. It is true, however, that I consider the vast majority of people to have a minimal chance at Stanford. A very small subset of applicants immediately strike me as having a decent chance. Of course, some of the people with a minimal chance do get in.

As to what you can do to enhance your chances, you can address the concerns I mentioned above. To get more specific than that I would want to get on a client-consultant basis.

Best of luck,
--Paul

kryzak wrote:
thank you for your response! I do have a question about your comment on #1. So if all the choices I listed in the top 15 b-schools are only possible/maybe for my chances to get in, what can I do to increase those chances?

Are my chances for Stanford and Columbia "minimal" because that's the case for most applicants (unless they truly did something out of this world) or is it specifically something in my profile? I would love to know to see how I can increase my chances of getting in.

After reading what the top b-schools are looking for, I feel that I have the right background (both quantitative and qualitative) to be competitive at the Stanford/Columbia, and a "likely" for Haas/UCLA/Stern, as long as I emphasize the right things, write good essays, and sell myself correctly. It's definitely a bit surprising to hear that my chances for Stanford/Columbia are "minimal" and only "unlikely" for Haas, which is somewhat my backup school.

Would love to read more details about how you came to these conclusions and get some constructive criticism.

Thank you!

kry

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 13:49
Thanks Paul for the more detailed explanation. I'll definitely give you a PM if I decide to go the consultant route!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 08:36
kryzak wrote:
Thanks Paul for the more detailed explanation. I'll definitely give you a PM if I decide to go the consultant route!

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 10:35
BTW, just received your book from Amazon today, looking forward to reading it! =)
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 11:45
I also bought his book (Reading it for the second time already). The book is just great. Very insightful for getting through such a tough competition (Specially in our demographics)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 11:54
true that. I think the books have been helping a lot in formulating what to put in my application. I got Paul's essay book, and three MBA app books (Mountaks, ABCs, and 88 Tips). If I read through all of those, and with the help of others here, I should be able to at least be competitive for the schools I apply to.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 16:30
I think too much information is distracting. May I suggest that you stick to Montauk and Paul Bodine's books and forget the rest.
kryzak wrote:
true that. I think the books have been helping a lot in formulating what to put in my application. I got Paul's essay book, and three MBA app books (Mountaks, ABCs, and 88 Tips). If I read through all of those, and with the help of others here, I should be able to at least be competitive for the schools I apply to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2007, 21:09
that could be true, but I have the books already, and they're all very short (except for Montauk's). I like the "Getting an Edge" because it gives more "insider insight". 88 Tips is just a good way to do a check list. and Montauk is great as an in depth review. They each have their merits, and thus are highly recommended in this forum by many people.