Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation, Thank you!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation, Thank you! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 05:18
Hello Alex,

I am a big fan of HBS and Columbia, would like to know if I would get a decent chance to get into either school.

School Stats:
- Undergrad 3.1 GPA (Top 5% of the class)
- BBA, Information Systems Major
- Best honours project (Research paper) among 300 undergrad in my final year
- Postgrad A- Average (Top 3% of the class)
- MSc in Financial Analysis - Security Analysis Major
- Designation: CPA / CISA (Information Systems auditor)
- 760 GMAT (50M, 46V 5.5 AWA)

Work
- 4-year at Big 4 public accountancy firm, worked in risk advisory, audit and due diligence and currently on secondment to marketing department
- Assist on family business of wine trading, active business in france, UK, singapore and china (not on full-time nor having a "specific" position)

Extracurricular
- Active volunteer in various organization like UNICEF, Oxfam
- Founding member and EVP of a foreign student assistance club in college
- Founding member and Financial Secretary of a young member committee in a professional society

Do you think I have a decent chance to my dream schools?

I would also like to know if I really wanna be admitted, is my assistance to family business a positive or I should not include it in the experience? And, if I shall include that, who I should get for a recommendation letter? Will a family member recommendation be less reliable?

Thank you so much!

Best regards
Zonia
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation, Thank you! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 08:50
Schools like Columbia, Chicago, Kellogg, Sloan or Tuck may be more in your range.

I just can't see HBS. Too analytical, and your leadership/team/interpersonal abilities more of an afterthought (i.e. your primary strength by far is your analytical/quant abilities, which is what has driven your career thus far). Having said that, if you really want to go, by all means apply, so long as you keep realistic expectations (treat it as a lottery ticket) and apply to a range of other schools where you have a better shot.

As for the family business, it's not really going to be a huge plus or negative - it may add some color to your application, but that's about it since it's not what you do full-time; just don't oversell it in the essays (i.e. don't try and make it a huge deal if it isn't a big part of your life in actuality; because adcoms can sense that either in the essays, and especially in the interview). And don't get a rec letter from a family member.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation, Thank you!   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2009, 08:50