Joined: 25 Jan 2011
, given: 0
Profile Evaluation - Thank you for your time! [#permalink]
25 Jan 2011, 18:24
Could you please evaluate my profile? Thank you for your time!
1) Work Experience:
- After finishing my Masters (to be outlined in the educational component), began working in Investigative Research at the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) as a contract analyst. This involved conducting due diligence background reviews on listed issuers and company directors, reporting to my seniors any legal/regulatory infractions. Was doing this for about 5 months until I was promoted (poached) to permanent full-time in the Quality Assurance IT department. The QA job involves software testing, conducting risk analyses, and providing solutions for found software coding errors (or potential errors) within the technical engines which operate the TSX.
Since joining, I have partaken in the company's annual fundraising charity drive, and our committee raised 40% more year over year from last, totalling ~$225k. We've been nominated for two awards by the charity (United Way)... still waiting for the results in a couple days!
- N/A, aiming to write in later 2011 or early 2012.
3) Prior Education:
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) in Political Science from University of Western Ontario- CGPA: 3.1 (B-), Last 2 years GPA: 3.62 (A-). Dean's Honour List. Graduated '09.
- Master of Arts in International Relations from McMaster University- Focuses: Global Political Economy and Global Finance. CGPA: 3.86 (A). School of Graduate Studies Entrance Scholarship, Teaching Assistantship Award. Finished thesis on the European Sovereign Debt Crisis in Jun/10, thus concluding the program.
- Currently enrolled in Canadian Securities Course / Conduct & Practices Handbook, will be finished both in a couple months.
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience:
- Charity fundraising at the company fundraiser (as outlined in 1) Work Experience).
- UWO Debate Society
- McMaster Teaching Assistantship - leading tutorial classes for undergraduates in international relations and global political economy / grading assignments and essays.
- Head Staff running sports programs for 300 children at a local day camp.
- Also an avid hockey player, participating in two local men's leagues.
6) Post MBA career:
- Seeking to be middle management either in my current workplace, or elsewhere in the securities industry. Been flirting with the idea of being a securities regulator too, as it relates somewhat to my current Master's degree.
7) Target programs: Schulich, Rotman, Ivey, Laurier, McMaster
Planning to apply for later 2012, if possible.
How can I improve? What score should I aim for on the GMAT? Excluding the GMAT, do I stand a good chance of being awarded major/minor scholarships?
Thank you for your time!