Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:53
I, similar, to one of the previous posters am also interested in gauging my chances for future acceptance to b-school

Targets: Top 5 (It will take work, but the commitment and dedication is there)

I'm a recent graduate of a small liberal arts school in the Midwest; well known in the Midwest, but not known outside.
Sex: M
I was originally born in the Ukraine and am Jewish
-Undergrad GPA was 3.88/4.0
-I studied for a semester in an Australian University and got a 4.0/4.0
-I love travelling: I've been to Europe, Israel, Australia and hope to go to South Africa for the '10 World Cup
-I am fluent in Russian and English and am currently learning Mandarin

EC in undergrad:
-Was part of 2 honors fraternities, in which I did not hold a position but was still chosen based on my grades and recommendations
-Was one of 10 people chosen to represent the student body in a board of directors meeting (based on teacher recommendations)
-In my social fraternity I served as the head of the Senior Advisory committee-oversaw a 7 person committee to build inter-fraternal relations. Also played a large part in organizing our campus's largest food drives for 2 years in a row: 260,000 lbs raised in 07, and 220,000 pounds raised in 06
-Was on the fundraising committee- worked in a team of 20 to raise close to $300k for various activities
-Played football for a year(separated my shoulder and "retired")
-Volunteered at a Child Advocacy Center in town

Experience:
-Currently serving as an M&A analyst at a small boutique investment bank (looking to change firms currently-stay either in i-banking or transition to a small private equity firm)
Internships include working on the trading floor/investment banking department for a large financial brokerage house, a financial representative for a large life insurance corporation.
-Have various licenses; trading license (Series 7), CFA levels 1 and 2 (should pass 3 by the time admission comes around), Real Estate
-Started a "website" geared towards college students; still in the works

My question is this. I am worried that my "no-name" school and maybe not a well known investment banking firm/private equity firm (since I came from a non-target school, it's been hard to land top jobs in the field) will keep me out of these schools? Also what kind of EC activities should I take up between now and 2 years from now when I apply; I know volunteering, but is there anything else I should strive to do?

Thank you so much in advance. I want to start preparing myself now.

Best,
Mike
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:26
I forgot to add that a GMAT of 720+ is doable for me
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 10:35
What UG did you attend? I too went to a small liberal arts university in the midwest.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 20:12
Expert's post
Mike,

Your no-name is not a major negative factor in your chances of admission. Far, far more important will be the depth, range, and frequency of your leadership. You seem to have some, but it doesn't look strong enough for top 5 schools. They also like candidates who are "unusual" (in whatever way) for its own sake. You seem to have some distinctiveness but not a lot. So the top 5 seem like longshots to me at this point.

The nature of the extracurriculars you get involved really doesn't matter so much as the level of responsibility, leadership, and impact you have in that extracurricular (you also get points if you've been involved in it over several years). IMO there's a bigger payoff in terms of standing out from other applicants if the EC you choose is unusual. That is, B-schools see plenty of Habitat for Humanity and Make-A-Wish applicants, so try to be more creative.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:21
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. As mentioned, I have a couple years before I apply and will surely try to find some unusual activities that will make me distinctive. Thanks again!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 346 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile evaluation-thank you in advance for your time [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 18:09
Expert's post