Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Thanks in advance!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Thanks in advance!! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 09:46
Hello!

Below are a few bullets on my background (slightly detailed because I have a unique circumstance and new to GMAT CLUB) -

- 30 year old Male - Originally from India, graduated from UNC Chappel Hill in 2005 with 3.72
- Moved to Boston after college - been with PWC in their Strategy Consulting Group for 7.5 Years (HI-B visa) since
- Some international travel for projects but not extended stay in any country
- Obtained my CFA and CPA
- Volunteer with UNICEF (Bombay Office) where I began as an intern for almost 10 years - approx 50-100 hours annual effort every year since 2003
- Taken the GMAT several times (7) with highest score = 670 (Quant - 76%, Verbal 70%, IR 23%, Essay 5.5) taken a month ago. Note that I took the GMAT 8 months ago and also got 670 (Quant - 67%, Verbal 81%, IR 67%, Essay 5). I started my journey with a very low score of 590 but have improved each time I took the exam (except the last time)
- I do not plan to re-take the GMAT because of health related reasons (upcoming surgery)
- I applied to a few schools in the second round last year - Fuqua (waitlisted - no admit), Cornell (waitlisted-no admit), Tuck (denied) and LBS (denied) but I knew there was a chance I would not get in, esp bec of low quant score
- I got promoted to Senior Manager this year - very few % of people get promoted this early at PWC
- I want to get into Investment Management post MBA (same career goal as last year) though I am also thinking about Corp. Strategy
- I plan to apply this Fall and really hope to get in - no cushion like last year. Also not looking at Exec MBA, just Full-time

So, I have 4 questions for you - would appreciate if you answer all 4.

1) For the schools that I have not applied to, I plan on submitting my "new" (same overall score with different breakout) GMAT score - which is a better balance between quant and verbal - but should I send new score to Fuqua, LBS and Cornell? I don't know if they perceive my effort as positive or negative given how many times I have taken and no score improvement. Also considering the very low IR score!!

2) Should I mention anything about my low score/number of attempts in optional or reapplicant essays?

3) I want to apply to (in priority) Fuqua - early action, Ross (first round), INSEAD (Dec. round), Kellog (second round), LBS (first round) Cornell (first round) and possibly one back-up school such as a Georgetown (second round). What are my realistic chances?

4) How can you help me / what Specific pointers do you have?

Thanks!
Mohan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation - Thanks in advance!! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:36
Hey Mohan - thanks for the questions. That GMAT test is a nasty bugger ain't it? Sorry to hear of the struggles. You're at the point of diminishing returns with it so we wouldn't advise a retest unless you were confident you could increase the score.

Hate to say, you're going to have a very tough time cracking into any of these schools with an investment management career goal and that GMAT history. :( Sorry but it's not in your favor. It's possible to transition from consulting to finance but it's tricky, and the schools will need to see evidence across the board for how you're ready for it. This GMAT score (or, all of them, frankly) is only going to make them doubt whether you can compete coming out in the recruiting game.

LBS is also not at all keen on reapplicants so it's going to be a tough proposition there no matter what.

In terms of which version of your 670 to use... it totally depends on what you do with the goals. Neither is going to instill confidence in the adcom for you. We really don't like that low IR; even though it's not officially required, it's definitely getting more scrutiny.

There's just risk written all over this.

Hate to be so negative! You're going to have to build out an incredible pitch that compensates for those weaknesses in a significant, and very strategic, manner if you're going to pull this off.

(Corporate strategy is only marginally easier.)

If you have specific questions for EssaySnark then you can post again. Sorry to be a downer but these are seriously competitive schools and while it looks like you have a lot going for you, you're also coming at it from the classically oversubscribed pool. Hopefully you're nailing that EA deadline for Duke... it can help a lot, particularly as a reapplicant.

Good luck!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation - Thanks in advance!! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:38
Also: We don't generally recommend writing the optional essay for a low GMAT score; there just isn't much that can be said about it. Low GPA, yes (usually); low GMAT, nuh-unh.

You can see more advice on the EssaySnark blahg about low GMAT.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Profile Evaluation - Thanks in advance!!   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 11:38